Hi all,
I recently recieved a letter from GTR after I was caught travelling without a valid railcard from London Bridge to Gatwick Airport. On the backside of the letter, they gave me the opportunity to state what happened from my point of view; and I took the opportunity to apologise and own up to what I had done (and have done in the past, as my railcard expired around a year ago - I do not travel by rail that much and I estimate I have taken around 15-20 trips since my railcard expired, although I am not making excuses or trying to lower my stupidity for travelling without a valid railcard). I stated in the letter that I was keen to settle out of court and was happy to pay whatever fine they deemed appropriate.
I also sent an email and phoned the Prosecutions team to cover every angle and make sure that they recieved some form of correspondence, and to make sure that they did not accidentally think that I had ignored their letter; which a very nice lady did confirm over the phone.
I was just curious as to what the odds are that GTR will want to settle out of court? Obviously this is not a case where I had a valid railcard and forgot it, or that it expired a month ago- there is a digital papertrail where they can see that everytime I travelled on GTR services I said I had a railcard when I did not. This was an extremely stupid thing to do, and I am immensely remoresful and am prepared to basically do anything to avoid having a criminal record.
Any advice / guidance would be appreciated!
I recently recieved a letter from GTR after I was caught travelling without a valid railcard from London Bridge to Gatwick Airport. On the backside of the letter, they gave me the opportunity to state what happened from my point of view; and I took the opportunity to apologise and own up to what I had done (and have done in the past, as my railcard expired around a year ago - I do not travel by rail that much and I estimate I have taken around 15-20 trips since my railcard expired, although I am not making excuses or trying to lower my stupidity for travelling without a valid railcard). I stated in the letter that I was keen to settle out of court and was happy to pay whatever fine they deemed appropriate.
I also sent an email and phoned the Prosecutions team to cover every angle and make sure that they recieved some form of correspondence, and to make sure that they did not accidentally think that I had ignored their letter; which a very nice lady did confirm over the phone.
I was just curious as to what the odds are that GTR will want to settle out of court? Obviously this is not a case where I had a valid railcard and forgot it, or that it expired a month ago- there is a digital papertrail where they can see that everytime I travelled on GTR services I said I had a railcard when I did not. This was an extremely stupid thing to do, and I am immensely remoresful and am prepared to basically do anything to avoid having a criminal record.
Any advice / guidance would be appreciated!