• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government Chief Whip ('Rt Hon' Andrew Mitchell) resigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I find it very hard to believe Ed Miliband's claim that if a member of the public said that to a police officer on a night out that they would be arrested, surely most are given a verbal warning and are sent on their way? That's certainly the impression I get from studying Law!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I find it very hard to believe Ed Miliband's claim that if a member of the public said that to a police officer on a night out that they would be arrested, surely most are given a verbal warning and are sent on their way? That's certainly the impression I get from studying Law!

Actually if you read the transcript taken by the officer, the officer did threaten Mitchell with arrest.

...I warned Mr Mitchell that he should not swear, and if he continued to do so I would have no option but to arrest him under the Public Order Act, saying "Please don't swear at me Sir. If you continue to I will have no option but to arrest you under the Public Order Act". Mr Mitchell was then silent and left saying "you haven't heard the last of this" as he cycled off.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,488
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
:roll: :roll:

Mea maxima culpa....I claim it was the shock that affected me when researching American English :shock: that clouded my judgment in my most ungrammatical spelling of that particular word.

I have retired to a dark corner of the forum to write out the following punishment wording 100 times, using my Parker Sonnet fountain pen to do so on sheets of deckle-edged handmade paper...
"The correct usage of the English Language is one to which that all shall espouse. Blessed are the lexicologists, for they shall be respected in all tenses in the Kingdom of Heaven."
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A point of general interest.

In 2009, in a poll carried out by the research company OnePoll.com, the most commonly mis-spelt word used in common usage in the English Language was the correct word DEFINITELY being mis-spelt DEFINATELY. This mistake appeared to more commonly made in Britain by visitors from America, than by any other people.
 

mrscherry

Member
Joined
19 Oct 2012
Messages
31
I read about this in the mail the other day when I came across an article about ed milliband doing a march through london, people had signs saying 'plebs unite' couldn't stop laughing
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,488
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
However Mr Ed said that they would be arrested, which clearly isn't the case.

On reading this, being the great age I am and remembering a certain American TV series starring a talking horse which none of the younger forum membership would likely to know, I show below two lines from the programme signature tune...

A horse is a horse, of course, of course
And no-one can talk to a horse, of course
That is, of course, unless the horse
Is the famous Mister Ed


Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse
He's always on a steady course
Talk to Mister Ed
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Where did the whole 'pleb' thing come from anyway? If he never said it, who said he did? Why has everyone now gone mad using a word that I've barely heard for years. Now everyone is saying it and suggesting that anyone with a good education naturally uses the word daily!
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Where did the whole 'pleb' thing come from anyway? If he never said it, who said he did? Why has everyone now gone mad using a word that I've barely heard for years. Now everyone is saying it and suggesting that anyone with a good education naturally uses the word daily!
Au contraire! Anyone with a good education would know it is an incorrect back-formation from "plebs" (which is a singular noun meaning "the people"). As it fits so neatly with the Opposition "strategy" of damning all tories as "Toffs" I suspect some Labour Special Adviser (without a good education) thought it a witty spin on the story.
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
You'll also notice that Labour were happily calling the Tories "elitist" right up until the Olympics, when suddenly it clashed with the public's perception of our "elite" Olympic athletes so the smear got quietly dropped :)
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
Mr Ed reminds me of the Uncle that no one would trust, his brother reminds me of my strict junior school headmaster. I can't help feeling that Labour chose the wrong brother :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top