• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got caught using an adult oyster card

Status
Not open for further replies.

1211

New Member
Joined
2 May 2025
Messages
1
Location
stratford
Hi everyone
I got caught using a oyster card which I found it on the road.
I know i did wrong and I admit it.

When i got caught, they took my details and gave me fine £80 which i have paid online on the day,
And they seized the oyster card.


Are they going to send me any letter for further prosecution or extra fines?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,066
Location
Selby
Hi, it sounds like you weren't fined, but issued a Penalty Fare. This may seem like a fine, but it's actually a fare charged at a higher than normal rate that allows for disposal of certain minor ticketing infringements without the need for prosecution. I'd say that provided they're satisfied that was it and you've paid the penalty fare you're fairly safe. They may however look into other occaisions of this oyster card being used. To clarify, was this an Oyster containing a season ticket or discount? Or was it a Pay as you Go Oyster?
They seized the Oyster card as it had been misused and to prevent it from being used again.
If however you've been making many journeys using said Oyser and it contained a discount or season ticket, you could potentially be in trouble, but it would be for them to prove that it was you using the Oyster. How did you answer any quesitons? They can't send you an 'extra fine', as only a court can impose a fine, they could however investigate further and bring prosecution proceedings, others will advise on the likelihood of this and whether they've limited their options by charging the penalty fare. However, as you've paid the penalty fare, I'd say you've discharged your liability for this particular journey.

Also, who are 'they'? Transport for London or a private company? I'm guessing the former. Did they take any witness statements (eg. an MG11), or just issue the penalty fare? Were you interviewed under caution?
You need to wait about seven months to be sure you're in the clear. Why seven months? They have six months to lay papers before the courts and sometimes if they lay papers last minute there can be a delay in the court contacting you.
I'd say it's likely to be 'case closed' if they've issued a penalty fare, if they were planning on investigating further you'd typically have been reported for prosecution and not have been given instructions to pay anything until investigations were completed (note: TfL don't generally do out of court settlements). But this is not 100% guaranteed.

I'd also like to say that in the case it was just a penalty fare and that's that, don't do it again thinking the risk is worth it. You'll likely face a court case if there is to be a next time.
 

enyoueffsea

On Moderation
Joined
26 Mar 2025
Messages
236
Location
East Midlands
How old are you? Just curious that you state it was an adult card.

If you’re under 18, I suspect this will be the end of the matter.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,363
How old are you? Just curious that you state it was an adult card.

If you’re under 18, I suspect this will be the end of the matter.
Even then, it isn't an offence for children to travel on adult tickets assuming they're undiscounted.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,741
Location
UK
Even then, it isn't an offence for children to travel on adult tickets assuming they're undiscounted.
But it is an offence to use someone else's oyster card without them knowing.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,363
But it is an offence to use someone else's oyster card without them knowing.
Yes, I quite agree. I'm just wondering how it was picked up on given the vast, vast majority of adults undiscounted Oyster cards will pass through without giving a second thought to any Revenue Control staff.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,463
Location
London
But it is an offence to use someone else's oyster card without them knowing.
From a pure Revenue Protection point of view, that only applies if the card has a discount or season ticket loaded onto it.

A card that only has Pay As You Go credit loaded is transferable. This is documented in Condition 3.1.2 of TfL's Conditions of Carriage.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,741
Location
UK
Yes, I quite agree. I'm just wondering how it was picked up on given the vast, vast majority of adults undiscounted Oyster cards will pass through without giving a second thought to any Revenue Control staff.
I wonder this too.
From a pure Revenue Protection point of view, that only applies if the card has a discount or season ticket loaded onto it.

A card that only has Pay As You Go credit loaded is transferable. This is documented in Condition 3.1.2 of TfL's Conditions of Carriage.
Not without permission, that would be theft. It is possible that the oyster card had an obviously invalid discount applied, but it still raises questions about how it was discovered.

We need more information from OP, such as where and why they were stopped, and how the card was deemed invalid. Of course, if OP was given a penalty fare, there's no need for more information as the matter was settled once it was paid.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,528
Location
LBK
The OP was almost certainly penalty fared, there is no other way of interpreting the original post.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top