• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got caught using a 16-17 railcard. SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey1000

New Member
Joined
30 Sep 2024
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
Hi guys I would really appreciate some advice on this. I was travelling to Waterloo station from surbiton the other day, and used the 16-17 saver card on Trainline when I only have the 16-25 railcard. I was stopped after I scanned and I couldn’t present a 16-17 railcard. My details and email were taken and I was given a receipt. I’ve read through the forum and I’m guessing I’ll have to wait till I hear back and be totally transparent and hope I get a settlement fee. However I have two concerns. A lot of my tickets bought on Trainline are with 16-25 railcard discounts. I’m worried they will think I cheated my way for those tickets too when I do have a railcard for that. I assume I’ll have to show evidence of my 16-25 railcard in order to clear those tickets. My second concern is I have had a few instances where I hadn’t tapped in from the start of a station but tapped out because of shorting fares. Would they pick this up too or only look at my tickets I’ve bought with the 16-17 rail card?


Advice and help would be much appreciated. Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,135
From the cases we see here I’d say it’s quite likely that they will also uncover instances of short faring, as they do seem to go looking for any other ticketing anomalies. However, without more details of what you were doing, and how you were paying for these tapped journeys, (and do they link with the account used for the irregular railcard fares) then it’s difficult to say.
 

Bluey1000

New Member
Joined
30 Sep 2024
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
From the cases we see here I’d say it’s quite likely that they will also uncover instances of short faring, as they do seem to go looking for any other ticketing anomalies. However, without more details of what you were doing, and how you were paying for these tapped journeys, (and do they link with the account used for the irregular railcard fares) then it’s difficult to say.
My short faring has been done with the same account I used for the 16-17 card discount yes. I’d say I’ve used the 16-16 approx for 11 one way tickets. And probs short fared for 5 tickets one way approx too. Used Trainline for all of this. I’m just worried about it leading to court, though from what I’ve read as long as I reply honestly and quickly I should hope to see a settlement

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

My short faring has been done with the same account I used for the 16-17 card discount yes. I’d say I’ve used the 16-16 approx for 11 one way tickets. And probs short fared for 5 tickets one way approx too. Used Trainline for all of this. I’m just worried about it leading to court, though from what I’ve read as long as I reply honestly and quickly I should hope to see a settlement
Sorry no I’d say I’ve short fared approx 10 tickets too, not 5
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,135
Yes, provided you cooperate fully with them and are honest and apologetic, you should be able to get a settlement offer, so long as you haven’t come to their attention before.

Make sure you look out for any post or emails, and regularly check carefully your spam etc or other folders that mail might occasionally go into to rather than your inbox.
 

Bluey1000

New Member
Joined
30 Sep 2024
Messages
3
Location
Surrey
Yes, provided you cooperate fully with them and are honest and apologetic, you should be able to get a settlement offer, so long as you haven’t come to their attention before.

Make sure you look out for any post or emails, and regularly check carefully your spam etc or other folders that mail might occasionally go into to rather than your inbox.
Okay cool thank you. This is the first time I’ve ever been stopped from a revenues officer so hopefully it should be fine. It’s just very worrying as I rlly don’t want this being taken to court of course as I’m studying too and I feel like it could lead to a fitness to practice on my degree if I’ll have to declare this after court if it went to that extent. I’ll come back to this forumn when I hear back. Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top