• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got a ticket for a short ticket from Govia Thameslink, never got letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsprit

New Member
Joined
26 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi,

I got caught going from Gatwick to London Bridge and got issued a witness statement reciept on the 26/11/2024.

I gave my correct details and expected a letter but it never arrived, I intended to be fully collaborative with the investigation and pay whatever the fine should be.

The thing is that I am travelling a lot, I asked my housemates to check if a letter from Thameslink arrived but they have not told me anything and I fear it may have arrived and I missed it.
I have now rerouted my mail to an address overseas where i'm staying for 3 months, should have thought about it sooner, I know.

How can I find out how this is going on?
Do letters take this long to get sent?

I appreciate the help, I am never doing it again but just want to get out of this situation now.
 

Attachments

  • ticket.jpg
    ticket.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 42
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,332
Location
Reading
You can either continue to wait and hope it got lost in the system and nothing will happen or they decided to take no further action, or you can email them on gtr.prosecutions@gtrailway.com giving them the reference number to check you haven't missed any communications and provide updated contact details if need be. They won't want to discuss details of what happened by email initially (though sometimes they do seem to later in cases that are straightforward to settle), but they will deal with administrative queries.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
Hi,

I got caught going from Gatwick to London Bridge and got issued a witness statement reciept on the 26/11/2024.

I gave my correct details and expected a letter but it never arrived, I intended to be fully collaborative with the investigation and pay whatever the fine should be.

The thing is that I am travelling a lot, I asked my housemates to check if a letter from Thameslink arrived but they have not told me anything and I fear it may have arrived and I missed it.
I have now rerouted my mail to an address overseas where i'm staying for 3 months, should have thought about it sooner, I know.

How can I find out how this is going on?
Do letters take this long to get sent?

I appreciate the help, I am never doing it again but just want to get out of this situation now.
E mail. State the ref on that slip, explain you are abroad, give them a current reliable postal address, but ask if matters can be dealt with by r mail. Make it as simple and easy for them to contact you as possible. Limit your communication to that at this stage (don’t engage in excuses about the incident at this stage)

It’s vital you receive their communications and respond to them promptly or it will just automatically escalate to court proceedings.
 

gsprit

New Member
Joined
26 Nov 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your answers. As you recommended I emailed them and secured the letter they sent.
Its from the 25th of february so I am already a bit late on the answer.

This is the explanation of the incident:

I purchased a ticket from gatwick to horely and instead got off in city thameslink.
I have done this before as I used to travel quite a bit out of gatwick, not proud of it and not doing it ever since just FYI.
Should I mention all of the times I have done it??
Sending my draft here....if possible please comment weather its correct or should I make some corrections to it.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the situation on the 26th of November, 2024, and I take full responsibility for the mistake that occurred.

On that day, I had purchased a valid ticket for travel from Gatwick to Horley and got off at City Thameslink.I now fully understand the importance of having a valid ticket for the correct journey, and I truly regret my error in this instance.

I want to assure you that this was wrong from my part, and I have learned from the experience. I have taken the rules and responsibilities of travel seriously from this incident, and I can ensure ensure this situation will not happen again.

I deeply appreciate your understanding and would be very grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter outside of court. I am willing to pay any reasonable fine or penalty, as I recognize the importance of adhering to travel regulations.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

Really appriciate all the help.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-03-29 185913.png
    Screenshot 2025-03-29 185913.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2025-03-29 190000.png
    Screenshot 2025-03-29 190000.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 20

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your answers. As you recommended I emailed them and secured the letter they sent.
Its from the 25th of february so I am already a bit late on the answer.

This is the explanation of the incident:

I purchased a ticket from gatwick to horely and instead got off in city thameslink.
I have done this before as I used to travel quite a bit out of gatwick, not proud of it and not doing it ever since just FYI.
Should I mention all of the times I have done it??
Sending my draft here....if possible please comment weather its correct or should I make some corrections to it.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the situation on the 26th of November, 2024, and I take full responsibility for the mistake that occurred.

On that day, I had purchased a valid ticket for travel from Gatwick to Horley and got off at City Thameslink.I now fully understand the importance of having a valid ticket for the correct journey, and I truly regret my error in this instance.

I want to assure you that this was wrong from my part, and I have learned from the experience. I have taken the rules and responsibilities of travel seriously from this incident, and I can ensure ensure this situation will not happen again.

I deeply appreciate your understanding and would be very grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter outside of court. I am willing to pay any reasonable fine or penalty, as I recognize the importance of adhering to travel regulations.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

Really appriciate all the help.
In the last bit starting ‘I am willing…’ I would change this from ‘fine or penalty…’ to for example ‘any fare that I owe along with any costs you have incurred in relation to this matter.’

I’m not sure if you need to tell them about other instances but you should expect them to check your ticket buying records and look for patterns, so be sure not to actively suggest you’ve done nothing else wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top