Having some time to spare last Friday (March 31), and having read the notes here, I made a diversion to use this line from the Barking end and view progress.
It was worse than I thought. There isn't any wiring at all until the very last few metres at Gospel Oak. I had got the impression there would be sections missing, but really they haven't started. As the existing wiring round from Seven Sisters through South Tottenham has been removed (masts remain) the amount of wiring may have actually gone backwards.
Random masts erected at a some odd spots along the way, in the fashion that the GW electrification has pioneered, and further masts etc thrown down in the lineside landscaping.
I can quite understand why those who put up with the long closure are so hacked off with the lack of progress.
Have to say the diesel units, with their pleasant transverse 2+2 seating, much in facing bays, were a real positive, and aided viewing. The inward-facing perimeter seating of the Class 378 I used on from Gospel Oak are going to be a real backward step for passengers, cramped, and you can't see a thing out of them or have any idea of your surroundings, especially when passengers start to stand down the middle.
The platform "extension" works are also curious, because it is apparent as you stop every few minutes that the station platforms used to be way longer than what was maintained in recent years, and also what they are going to end up with. I think there used to be 8-car diesels on the line in the 1960s, and the lengthy parts of the longer platforms at each station which handled these remain, weed-strewn, crumbling brick, and fenced off. It's not been a platform lengthening task at all, just putting back (part) of what has been there all along. There also seemed to be a lot of the platform works still not finished - so much for all civils having been completed on time.
Also surprising was how well-filled the train was at 1030 on a weekday, throughout the journey. Busiest station seemed to be, surprisingly, Blackhorse Road.