• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Goostrey to Windermere 13/3 ret 15/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
I'm trying to price up tickets for this trip, leaving on the afternoon in both cases. I'd like a little flexibility if possible, though this seems a little hard to find.

There is this off-peak return http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=GTR&dest=WDM&tkt=SVR

which seems to be valid for my trip, but the National Rail site fails to offer it.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer not to tie myself to a return time, unless really necessary. Happy to go via Crewe or Manchester. I have a Kindle and it's not a long trip.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
The journey planners are having trouble because when they route via Manchester, they also route via Stockport and the Chat Moss line because this is the quickest route. These routes do not follw any routes produced by the Routeing Guide and I suspect they are not the shortest route. I doubt, however, that any guard would have an issue with you using the routes provided via Manchester as it is reasonable.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
The fare from Goostrey is £53.60 for an off-peak return (priced by Virgin). However, the fare from Chelford, one stop along, is £41.10, priced a bit more sensibly by Transpennine Express. Buying anytime day singles for GTR-CEL would be cheaper than the through ticket and still mean you can return two days later.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
The journey planners are having trouble because when they route via Manchester, they also route via Stockport and the Chat Moss line because this is the quickest route. These routes do not follw any routes produced by the Routeing Guide and I suspect they are not the shortest route. I doubt, however, that any guard would have an issue with you using the routes provided via Manchester as it is reasonable.

Thanks for that!

The fare from Goostrey is £53.60 for an off-peak return (priced by Virgin). However, the fare from Chelford, one stop along, is £41.10, priced a bit more sensibly by Transpennine Express. Buying anytime day singles for GTR-CEL would be cheaper than the through ticket and still mean you can return two days later.

Doh - I forgot to check Chelford as this has happened before on other tickets. I can easily get dropped/collected there to save the singles.

Is Chelford valid via Crewe?
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Doh - I forgot to check Chelford as this has happened before on other tickets. I can easily get dropped/collected there to save the singles.

Is Chelford valid via Crewe?
Chelford - Windermere tickets are all routed "VIA MANCHESTER" (not via Crewe) so although you will be okay travelling via Stockport, you will be restricted to Northern up to Manchester, or you could change at Manchester Airport and pick up the direct TPE there (better chance of getting a seat). Additionally, Virgin Trains run between Wigan and Oxenholme, whence TPE run a shuttle service to Windermere.
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
Chelford - Windermere tickets are all routed "VIA MANCHESTER" (not via Crewe) so although you will be okay travelling via Stockport, you will be restricted to Northern up to Manchester, or you could change at Manchester Airport and pick up the direct TPE there (better chance of getting a seat). Additionally, Virgin Trains run between Wigan and Oxenholme, whence TPE run a shuttle service to Windermere.

Thanks - TPE will be good enough for me from Manchester. I'll book a seat and hope I make the train, at least I have the flexibility to take another if I miss it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top