• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Goostrey - Manchester Airport - Any Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
Help and advice for the routing and ticket for this, please.

I want to take the train to the airport this Sunday 28/9.

I can see an any permitted fare single £10.90 on BR Fares.

The National Rail site shows a fare of £11.60 for a route via Stockport, but can't see me the ticket.

Question - is the £10.90 fare valid via Stockport? If not, which tickets do I need to buy when I get on the train? Will the guard have any idea on the routing?

Output from National Rail below. Clearly I want to avoid the long connection and hurry on to the airport. This is a personal trip and a Taxi would cost £45, so I'm happy to save £30-£35 and take the train for an extra 45 minutes travel time.

13:13 Goostrey [GTR] (Shorter connect @ Stockport)
Platform 1
Manchester Airport [MIA]
Platform 2A
14:29 1h 16m
Single Fare£11.60 Off-Peak

13:13 Goostrey [GTR] (Long Connect @ Alderley Edge)
Platform 1
Manchester Airport [MIA]
Platform 3A
15:05 1h 52m
Single Fare£7.20
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The via Stockport option says "You need to buy more than one ticket for this journey" so the £11.60 quoted is the combined price of two different tickets, meaning via Stockport is not a permitted route.

Although, you can do it for £10.40 combined if you buy a Goostrey-Cheadle Hulme single and a Cheadle Hulme-Manchester Airport single.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
Google suggests the 1313 train to Wilmslow and then the 200 bus from Wilmslow station forecourt to the airport, arriving 1416, faster than going all the way into Manchester and out again on the train.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I am unable to check the Routeing Guide at the moment but the existence of a Route Direct fare would suggest to me that the Route Any Permitted fare is valid for travel into Piccadilly and then out.

In fact, if you want to go Goostrey - Stockport - Piccadilly - Airport, an Off-Peak Day Return to Manchester Stns would suffice. It is only £10. You use the outward portion to get to Piccadilly and finish short on the return portion at Man Airport.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I am unable to check the Routeing Guide at the moment but the existence of a Route Direct fare would suggest to me that the Route Any Permitted fare is valid for travel into Piccadilly and then out.

In fact, if you want to go Goostrey - Stockport - Piccadilly - Airport, an Off-Peak Day Return to Manchester Stns would suffice. It is only £10. You use the outward portion to get to Piccadilly and finish short on the return portion at Man Airport.
Goostrey and Manchester Airport share a common routeing point: Wilmslow. Thus the only permitted route is via Wilmslow on the shortest route. I don't believe the Any Permitted fare is of any use.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I lost the first draft and for some reason in the second draft which I posted, I missed out the important words "intended to be valid". ;)

The CDR at £10 is cheaper anyway so all's good (which also coincidentally supports that view).
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I lost the first draft and for some reason in the second draft which I posted, I missed out the important words "intended to be valid". ;)

The CDR at £10 is cheaper anyway so all's good (which also coincidentally supports that view).
This is the option I'd probably opt for. However, avoiding Stockport, Goostrey to Mia splitting at Alderley Edge returns £6.80 total. It's down to the OP and how bothered they are about a couple of quid compared to extra journey time (and sitting in a 323 clanger) :D
 

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2013
Messages
3,168
Thankyou all for your excellent and speedy advice.

In the balance of Cost vs Time, the £10 CDR into Piccadilly and back out to the Airport seems to be the best suggestion. Ironically, it's the same journey that shows up on the NR Planner, but changing at Piccadilly instead of Stockport and taking advantage of the cheaper ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top