• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good stations/lineside locations in Yorkshire for photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Hi,

A change at my work means I now get a day off during the week so I was hoping to take a few rail photo trips this summer. Was just wondering whereabouts in Yorkshire (or relatively adjacent areas) is best these days for a variety of freight and passenger operations (and is photographer friendly).

I know Doncaster is always good and can recommend that to anyone who has not been there before (see my set from there Doncaster 16/5/11).

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
Hi,

A change at my work means I now get a day off during the week so I was hoping to take a few rail photo trips this summer. Was just wondering whereabouts in Yorkshire (or relatively adjacent areas) is best these days for a variety of freight and passenger operations (and is photographer friendly).

I know Doncaster is always good and can recommend that to anyone who has not been there before (see my set from there Doncaster 16/5/11).

Many thanks.

Leeds and York are good starting points with plenty of trains to spot. Both with friendly staff.

Of course theres the balcony at the NRM.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Yorkshire is a very big place! Depends on what traction you like and whether you can drive. Colton Junction south of York is a very good and popular spot, as is some of the sidings in the Sherburn-in-Emlet area. I'd also try Knottingley as well.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yorkshire is a very big place! Depends on what traction you like and whether you can drive. Colton Junction south of York is a very good and popular spot, as is some of the sidings in the Sherburn-in-Emlet area. I'd also try Knottingley as well.

I picked Yorkshire as I am based out of Keighley and it makes for a reasonable radius for a day's travelling. Traction, not particularly concerned, just a varied mix of freight and passenger services (these days I am more of a photographer than a gricer).

Colton Junction sounds good, I remember seeing rail fans stood there while travelling on Leeds to York services.
 

Teaboy1

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
554
Location
Tickhill SY
2 places spring to mind; North end of Pontefract Baghill platform and a point near Moorthorpe Junction giving views of Leeds mainline and the ex Swinton & Knottingley line to Ferrybridge, this gives you 2 main lines in 1 go !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top