• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good experiences during last night's chaos on Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowMuch?

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
159
I haven't posted for many yonks, but I felt I had to go through CAPTCHA hell just to comment on the good work of First's frontline staff yesterday during the power outage at Westerton and consequent chaos.

The west highland sleeper conductor was at Crianlarich at 8 pm (not sure why, something to do with the failure of the sleeper at Fort William?). He did a grand job of supplying us (pax waiting for the loooooong delayed train/s to Ft William and Oban) with tea and sympathy and trying to keep us informed. I say 'trying' because he wasn't getting much info himself at first. It turned out we were waiting for the return of the previous southbound train that was waiting to pick up passengers who'd been bussed to Arrochar.

The best bit was that the toilet was open (normally shuts at 6) !!!

The train arrived after dark - about 10:10 (I calculate I strolled 2 miles up and down this platform in two hours). There was free coffee and the guard (call me old fashioned) was brilliant at cheering people up and making sure everyone was OK for onward travel. He was particularly careful about the young, the old, and the infirm.

A young mother on the train said that the staff at Glasgow had offered her and her baby a taxi all the way to Oban. Well done whoever that was, but she thought that was too generous and turned it down!

We got to Oban at half eleven or so. I missed my sunset ride through the glens and my wild evening in Oban, but the attitude of the staff so restored my faith in human nature that I didn't care.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overtonchris

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2013
Messages
225
What a cracking story & well done the ScotRail employee for the Customer(Passenger?)Care!

I bet this will make front page news in the Daily Mail???!;)
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
It's always pleasing to hear when railway companies actually try to do the best for their passengers. One thing I have been wondering about last night is what happened to passengers wanting to catch the final ScotRail train of the day from Mallaig – were they perhaps carried on the later Jacobite instead, does anyone know? Or would they have been bussed or even, well, abandoned?
 

jonnyf1970

New Member
Joined
29 May 2013
Messages
3
I was connecting on to the last train from Mallaig to Fort William last night, having crossed from Rum on the CalMac ferry. The train was replaced with two buses....one of these went to all stations to pick people up, the other was for setting down only. There were about 30 people on the setting down only bus. The whole incident was well handled, the bus driver was a real character in a good way and we arrived in ftw about 20 minutes before the train would have made it. The Jacobite steam train ran normally and we drove past it on the way out of Mallaig.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Few years back due to disruption on the ECML I missed connections at Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street for the Mallaig train - a few of us were put into taxis and were due to be driven the whole way there (couple of Ft William, couple for Oban and myself for Mallaig). In the end we managed to catch the train up around Ardlui and got to Crianlarich before it arrived, so didn't have to stay in the taxi all that way. In fact we had so much time at Crianlarich, we were able to have a cuppa and something to eat at the buffet.

Always wondered if the taxi driver charged Scotrail the full price for driving Glasgow - Mallaig, but top marks for the way they handled the situation.
 

Swanny200

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2010
Messages
680
Few years back due to disruption on the ECML I missed connections at Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street for the Mallaig train - a few of us were put into taxis and were due to be driven the whole way there (couple of Ft William, couple for Oban and myself for Mallaig). In the end we managed to catch the train up around Ardlui and got to Crianlarich before it arrived, so didn't have to stay in the taxi all that way. In fact we had so much time at Crianlarich, we were able to have a cuppa and something to eat at the buffet.

Always wondered if the taxi driver charged Scotrail the full price for driving Glasgow - Mallaig, but top marks for the way they handled the situation.

Its done on a contract at a discount, take it from someone who has to send the taxis out when it goes wrong. We take the drivers to the depots too, has to be done right as it is a major fine if they are late or even worse don't make it at all.
 

D1009

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2012
Messages
3,166
Location
Stoke Gifford
I wonder whether those responsible for ordering taxis to cover missed connections to the West Highland and Far North routes are aware of the difference between road and rail journey times, and that it's often possible for taxis to catch up trains?
 

HowMuch?

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
159
I should stress that the 'tea' in 'tea and sympathy' was real. The sleeper conductor really did make tea for us delayed passengers - using the Crianlarich 'bothy' kettle.


I can't praise enough all the First staff I met last night.
 
Last edited:

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
I should stress that the 'tea' in 'tea and sympathy' was real. The sleeper conductor really did make tea for us delayed passengers - using the Crianlarich 'bothy' kettle.


I can't praise enough all the First staff I met last night.

Back in the days of class 37s i looked out of my sleeper window expecting to be passing Watford junction only to find we were at Garelochead, Scotrail arranged a taxi and a flight to Gatwick for me!



 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top