• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Going for other jobs with the same company

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJD

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2019
Messages
59
Location
Manchester
I have made it into a talent pool for a job with a TOC. While this is not guarantee of a job I am just wondering whether I should go for another job I’ve seen with the same company. Do you think this could harm my chances of securing the job I’ve already been interviewed and had a medical for.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lmc1976

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2017
Messages
162
I’m also very interested in this topic. I’ve been in a talent pool for 5 months, I had other applications active and fairly soon after I was conditionally offered the job I turned down interviews for two other positions within the same TOC believing it wouldn’t look very good chasing other positions. In hindsight I’m wondering if turning down those interviews was a poor choice as I wasn’t fully aware at the time that talent pools are no guarantee of a job.

Having said that it does concern me that if I started applying for other jobs again within the same TOC and they started taking people out of the talent pool I’m sat in they might think I’m not that interested and pick other people.

Feels like I’m damned if I do damned if I don’t!!

In regards to your question though if you’ve already had a medical as long as you passed it surely a formal offer is just round the corner? I’ve not had a medical yet but I can’t imagine TOCs would spend money on medicals to then leave you sat for ages after that in a pool?
 

DJD

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2019
Messages
59
Location
Manchester
Well that’s what I’m thinking about already having a medical because I’ve spoken to people on here who are sat in talent pools and haven’t had a medical. That being said there could have been reasons for that I’m not aware of. I think airing on the side of caution is best for now. For now I’ll just have to stay in limbo land until I hear something and if other opportunities arise with other TOCs apply for them as opposed to the one I’m already in the process of getting a job with.
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
Evening

From my own experience, I cannot see the harm in submitting multiple applications with the same TOC. It's a very competitive market and you have to at least chance your arm at any job you are suitable for. I've had numerous rejections, but I have reached the interview stage three times in the last few months - sadly I lost out to other candidates. It's a case of keep plugging away!

The issue arises when a conditional contract of employment is offered. From my understanding people who pass everything and end up in a talent pool for driving and conductor roles are not under any contract. From reading other threads on here, many people can end up in a talent pool but never get their dream job. Therefore, I cannot see why you should not be able to apply for new roles cropping up with the same TOC.

Ultimately, I would be tempted to get the answer straight from the horses mouth and contact the respective HR to verify their rules on this.

CJ
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top