A few days ago I was on a late evening Great Northern service travelling from Finsbury Park to Welwyn North, and when we got to Alexandra Palace we got stuck behind a very delayed Moorgate-WGC service.
What confused me is that, instead of "overtaking" this service by using the fast northbound line, we stayed behind the Moorgate stopper at a snail's pace all the way to WGC. This was especially frustrating given that just 1 intercity service passed us northbound the whole time, meaning we had ample oppurtunity to overtake.
Now granted I am not a signaller but this seemed like a ridiculous waste of time. What was going on here?
What confused me is that, instead of "overtaking" this service by using the fast northbound line, we stayed behind the Moorgate stopper at a snail's pace all the way to WGC. This was especially frustrating given that just 1 intercity service passed us northbound the whole time, meaning we had ample oppurtunity to overtake.
Now granted I am not a signaller but this seemed like a ridiculous waste of time. What was going on here?