• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GMPTE traincard travelling to zone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
19 Apr 2018
Messages
207
I have a GMPTE train card

I want to travel to zone 2 chorlton

I used to buy a zone 2 card on the Get Me There App

Do I now need to get off at Cornbrook and tap in and get the next tram?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Lol, just attempted to get off the tram, tap in, then board again and the doors closed before I had half a chance!! Waiting at Cornbrook now
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
24 Jul 2011
Messages
535
Location
Wigan
I've tried to do the same when travelling to Salford Quays in the past, although my success rate of jumping off, tapping in and boarding the same tram is pretty poor :D

I believe this is the only way to do it, unfortunately. I sometimes use a GetMeThere smart card, but this still requires tapping in and out at the zonal boundary.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,292
Just about everything on the South side of Manchester calls at the zone 1 / 2 boundary at Cornbrook, so you can always get an Altrincham or Eccles tram to Cornbrook and temporarily alight there to tap in at the card reader, and a service for Chorlton (on the East Didsbury/Manchester Airport lines) is likely as not to be following just a minute or two behind.
 

markwcel

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2019
Messages
16
Location
Cumbria
Didnt know you have to tap in and out at a zonal boundary? I get a zone 1 to 3 ticket on my getmethere ticket and just tap in at the start and out at the the end of the journey.
Am i wrong?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,141
Location
Wilmslow
Didnt know you have to tap in and out at a zonal boundary? I get a zone 1 to 3 ticket on my getmethere ticket and just tap in at the start and out at the the end of the journey.
Am i wrong?
Yes, you are not wrong.
The first poster has a GMPTE Traincard which is only valid in the Central Zone (technically Zone 1 nowadays) for the tram, hence a new ticket is needed for travel to Zone 2, which can be done with a tap in at the boundary station, Cornbrook.
Your ticket covers the whole journey so you just tap in at the start and end of your journey as you are doing.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top