• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gloucestershire and Warwickshire DMU Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trains2064

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
188
On the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railways website it has advertised a DMU or Railcar service to operate between Laverton and Hailes Abbey during 2011. Does anyone have any idea what this will be and where it will come from?

Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,780
Location
St Albans
According to 'Railways Restored 2010' they have a two-coach 108 DMU, so probably 'in-house'?
 

Kinghambranch

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
73
Location
Bomber County
I believe the GWSR's resident DMU is currently sans engines and is in rather a bad way so its likely that the DMU for the Toddington services will be hired in.
 

Multiple Unit

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
213
WHere would they hire on in from the next nearest RHeritage Railway is the Dean Forrest Railway and there DMU is I belive still out of action as well.
 

trains2064

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
188
I heard someone suggest it may be the one from the Plym valley. Can anyone confirm?
 

Multiple Unit

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
213
I heard someone suggest it may be the one from the Plym valley. Can anyone confirm?

I recived this Information back from them Yesterday :-

There will definitely be at least one Class 117 DMU here on 2 April. We will not be trying to use Andrew Goodman's, which is stored here - it is in a bad way.

Thogh they didnt say where it will be from.
 

wce

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
45
I believe the GWSR's resident DMU is currently sans engines and is in rather a bad way so its likely that the DMU for the Toddington services will be hired in.

That is correct - Shame imo!!!

Wonder if the old catering trolley that served the railway in early days will make an appearence. Seem to remember it being in storage for the advent of a dmu type shuttle to Laverton - could be useful extra income for the railway.
 

Multiple Unit

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
213
It will be the 1st time I will have been to this Railway so wouldn't really know but certanley looking forward to it even being a 117 as never been on one of theese classes of DMU before.
 

Kinghambranch

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
73
Location
Bomber County
From the latest news on the GWSR website regarding the 2 DMUs now at the GWSR for the Laverton services:
"*For those interested in the technicalities, the two Class 117 sets are set 117313 (car no. W51339 pictured) which is privately owned and recently restored; and set 117204, kindly loaned by the Plym Valley Railway. These diesel-mechanical units were manufactured by the Pressed Steel Company between 1959 and 1961; and powered by Leyland diesel engines. They were built for the Western Region of British Railways, principally working out of Paddington, Cardiff, Birmingham and Plymouth, replacing former GW 2-6-2T-hauled suburban services. Normally they ran as three-car units and 123 vehicles were built (both visiting units are however running without their centre coach). The last were withdrawn in 2000."
I believe that the Plym Valley Rly are loaning their DMU to the GWSR for free. If that is so then this is an excellent example of railways coming to the aid of the party so to speak and is most welcome.
I do remember DMUs on the Honeybourne Line in the late 60s early 70s but of course they didn't stop at Laverton, Toddington or Winchcombe as all these stations closed to passengers in 1960! I remember them most vividly in BR blue and frey or all blue livery but they do look good in green.



"
 

50Fan91

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2011
Messages
161
Hi all - my first post here so I hope I'm about to get all this right! I felt compelled to sign up as a member just so as to be able to post this info!

The Plym Valley Railway, where I am an active volunteer helping to restore 50017, is currently in the process of doing up the DMU so as to be able to send it in a reasonable condition to the GWR. This mainly involves work to the roof and, I believe, window sealings.

The DMU will be sent in two halves, (fairly obviously!), with a gap in-between of approximately a week or ten days. On arrival at the GWR, the railway will finish any immediate work that is needed to get the DMU into an acceptable running condition. Once the DMUs duties at the GWR are complete, the plan is that the GWR will fully restore the DMU for us, and return it to us in ex-works condition - near enough!

Needless to say, this is an excellent way for the GWR to alleviate their current problems, and for the PVR to save a large amount of time when there are many other pressing projects needing space in the single road shed. Not only this, but the PVR can do with every bit of publicity it can get!!

Hope this has been of use and interest to all of you - and hopefully this is my first post of many!
 

50Fan91

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2011
Messages
161
As an update to my previous post, the second half of the DMU left the Plym Valley railway for Toddington this morning, the first half having been moved up yesterday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think this'll probably be my final addition to this thread -

http://www.gwsr.com/news/latest-news/railcar-services-begin-from-toddington!.aspx

The move is now complete, the GWR has a working DMU on the Toddington-Laverton section and everyone is happy! So far, so good - a marvellous example of preserved railways cooperating together!
 

Multiple Unit

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
213
Yes and not a bad motor it is though I expected it to be better exterior wise, Question is how long is it on lOan for as how long is it before there own 117 is back in use.
 

50Fan91

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2011
Messages
161
Yes and not a bad motor it is though I expected it to be better exterior wise, Question is how long is it on lOan for as how long is it before there own 117 is back in use.

Could I firstly say that I am not about to get all "huffy" - I don't want this post to sound like that at all so I thought I'd just put this in to begin with! :D

You are quite right, the external condition of the DMU is poor, as the unit has been living outside in all weathers for a considerable amount of time. The PVR has not used the DMU under its own power for some considerable time; when it has been used recently it has been as "coaching stock" propelled by 'Albert', the PVR's resident 0-4-0 tank engine.

The PVR finished restoration of its three Mk2 coaches in the closing months of 2010 and since then has used them exclusively for all passenger operations, at the same time 50017 Royal Oak was (and still is) "in shed" receiving a thorough overhaul. This meant that there was nothing for the DMU to do except sit in a siding and await its turn for overhaul. (Which incidentally would not have started yet as 'Byfield', the PVR's other tank engine is provisionally next up for 'shed time'.)

As you can see, the PVR did not envisage that the DMU would see any use whatsoever, and therefore did not deem it urgent that any work should be carried out. However, due to the GWRs quite frankly dire situation, it was agreed that the unit should be sent up to help out.

Although it is not really my place to say, I am aware that there were mumblings of discontent with regards to the decision - some thought that sending the unit off in the state it was in was not a good advert for the PVR.. Perhaps it isn't a good advert, but we were simply doing the GWR a favour and helping them out at this difficult time. They could have done some work on the unit to start with if they'd wanted to, but obviously it wouldn't be earning any money if it'd gone straight into Toddington shed!!

To answer your other question - the DMU is expected to be away for approximately two years, as far as I am aware. (Don't quote me on that!) In this time the unit will obviously help out on services, and also receive a full overhaul, restoration and repaint into a livery of the PVR's choosing.

So there you go, I think that rounds up everything! If you've got any more questions please add them to the thread and I'll do my best to answer them! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just realised how long that post was - congratulations if you read through all of it! Award yourself a Gold Star! :D
 

Kinghambranch

Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
73
Location
Bomber County
I'm sure that the PVR's DMU will be given a good spruce up by the GWR's expert C&W folks and I'm also certain that it shows the PVR in a good and charitable light so well done to the PVR!. Unfortunately coaching stock, including DMUs, don't take kindly to the British wet and cold weather and I know that the GWR has a battle to keep its Mk 1 stock looking good. The only permanent answer is a weatherproof, theft proof carriage shed, something like the SVR and other railways have. I know the GWR is desparate to erect a carriage storage shed at Winchcombe (there is room for at least a 3 road shed) but the latest embankment slips have eaten away any money for that and the rest! However, let us all hope that one day a suitable shed is funded for the GWR's hard working carriage stock.
 

50Fan91

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2011
Messages
161
I'm sure that the PVR's DMU will be given a good spruce up by the GWR's expert C&W folks and I'm also certain that it shows the PVR in a good and charitable light so well done to the PVR!. Unfortunately coaching stock, including DMUs, don't take kindly to the British wet and cold weather and I know that the GWR has a battle to keep its Mk 1 stock looking good. The only permanent answer is a weatherproof, theft proof carriage shed, something like the SVR and other railways have. I know the GWR is desparate to erect a carriage storage shed at Winchcombe (there is room for at least a 3 road shed) but the latest embankment slips have eaten away any money for that and the rest! However, let us all hope that one day a suitable shed is funded for the GWR's hard working carriage stock.

Rain and damp - the destroyers of all the hard preservation work we do! :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top