• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glastonbury Express at Preston tonight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Disembarking from the Ormskirk Branch for another connection at around 6.40pm tonight, I saw a train consisting of 8 or 9 dark teal Intercity branded carriages with an EWS engine on the front of it at Platform 5 in Preston with a small sign saying 'First Great Western Glastonbury Express' on each carriage.

I never knew they ran such a service, and all the way to Preston (and beyond?).

Can anyone explain more about it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I'm guessing it'd run to Cary via Birmingham, Bristol and Westbury.

Dark teal makes me wonder if it isn't some of Arriva's array of coaching stock (according to Wikipedia they have 22 Mark IIs... they can't use all that, can they?).
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
didn't you know First Great Western is now the trading name for Deutsch Bahn British Rail

Nope, anything beyond Northern Rail, First Transpennine and Virgin Trains is a bit alien to me. I need to get out of the North West more :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A google search provides me with this ( http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8902.0 ) but nothing more on the details of the train. I should have took a picture :(
 
Last edited:

BigVince76

Member
Joined
13 Apr 2010
Messages
107
I know it was a rail-easy charter that ran Preston-Frome on Wednesday and returned Monday. I am not sure what stops in made on the way but it did call at Stoke-on-Trent. It was £30 each way from Stoke, not a bad deal as it included coach transfer from Frome to the festival.

The website to buy tickets was:

https://glastonbury.raileasy.co.uk/
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
I like how that map implies that the trains are going to Glastonbury station, which a) is six or seven miles away from the festival site and b) doesn't exist anymore.

Why was this train only running to Frome? Castle Cary is closer and larger.
 

class377man

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
224
I guess because every man and his dog, or indeed enormous bag and tent, were using Castle Cary.
 

Yorkswatcher

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
105
I saw a load of Intercity branded carriages on the south bound line between Wakefield & Doncaster last night at about 9ish.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,644
Location
Hampshire
I know it was a rail-easy charter that ran Preston-Frome on Wednesday and returned Monday. I am not sure what stops in made on the way but it did call at Stoke-on-Trent. It was £30 each way from Stoke, not a bad deal as it included coach transfer from Frome to the festival.

The website to buy tickets was:

https://glastonbury.raileasy.co.uk/

The service was provied by First Group / First Great Western with Cargo & DB Providing the stock / drivers & Rail Easy providing the ticketing...

Original plan was, to use the East Somerset Railways terminus at Cranmore, but for some reason it didnt, and as Castle Carys pretty full during Glasto weekend anyway, im guessing frome was the better bet...

Sort of covered on this thread:
http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=45490

Makes sense, and is good to see both the rail industry and First Group pulling together and put on extra specials for events on there network...It's seems to be more of an FGW and Chiltern Thing these days!...

:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top