• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Prague - cheapest way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gst

New Member
Joined
10 Nov 2019
Messages
4
Location
China
Looking for some help to plan a cheap(ish) journey from Glasgow to Prague. I need to be in Prague on 23 December afternoon for a flight and the earliest I can leave Glasgow is 21 December afternoon.

Ideally, I'd go for DB Sparpries London but it seems discontinued, so not much help there.

I am considering the Brussels-Cheb-Prague route but to take that I have to be in Brussels on 21 December night latest - which I'm not sure if it's possible given I only leave Glasgow that same afternoon. (of course it's possible with Eurostar but then, too expensive)

Grateful for any advice given!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
The Cheb route is problematic - CD will not AFAIK sell the cheap ticket with an overnight stop.
Sparpreis London has been bookable again (till March is the latest) for a week or so, and I get EUR 129 in Standard London-Berlin at 12.58 on Sunday 22 Dec.
Obviously thats not necessarily the cheapest or most convenient service, but it is available.
You need to play around with the DB site, perhaps using an overnight stopover on either your London or Prague ticket, and see what you can get - the CD site may be cheaper for the last leg to Prague, but there isn't always much in it.
I can't see any way of avoiding two overnights, unless you can make the last London-Brussels on 21st which assume you can't.
 
Last edited:

433N

Guest
Joined
20 Jun 2017
Messages
752
I'm guessing the Sparpreis tix might be sold out given it is slow close to Chrimbo.

Depends how much you wanna rough it and how cheap you want it.

Cally sleeper to London

Eurostar - Any Belgian station (Welkenraedt)

Welkenraedt - Aachen and then

a check of bahn.de tells me you can get to Prague by 09:15 leaving around 13:00 on regional transport with 4hrs of early morning slumming at Dresden. (You could do Aachen - Dresden for 60 Euro on a Quer Durch Deutschland ticket).

Adventure of what.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
I'm guessing the Sparpreis tix might be sold out given it is slow close to Chrimbo.

Depends how much you wanna rough it and how cheap you want it.

Cally sleeper to London

Eurostar - Any Belgian station (Welkenraedt)

Welkenraedt - Aachen and then

a check of bahn.de tells me you can get to Prague by 09:15 leaving around 13:00 on regional transport with 4hrs of early morning slumming at Dresden. (You could do Aachen - Dresden for 60 Euro on a Quer Durch Deutschland ticket).

Adventure of what.

Unfortunately the OP needs to leave Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon, which knocks out the sleeper; they'd need an overnight in London.
And a Eurostar fare to Welkenraedt on the Saturday or Sunday is about the same as a Sparpreis London to Dresden.
Another possibility, if the OP can make the 1440 but not the 1340 ex Glasgow, is to go via Harwich-Hoek. It might well be cheaper than my original, as cabins aren cheaper than London hotels.
 

gst

New Member
Joined
10 Nov 2019
Messages
4
Location
China
thanks everyone for their help - after more digging it seems the cheapest way is to take the 1934 Eurostar to Brussels on Saturday, overnight in Brussels, then to Prague via Cheb the next day.

would have preferred overnighting in Berlin but the first EuroCity train to Prague on Monday cuts it too close for my flight at 1pm.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
thanks everyone for their help - after more digging it seems the cheapest way is to take the 1934 Eurostar to Brussels on Saturday, overnight in Brussels, then to Prague via Cheb the next day.

would have preferred overnighting in Berlin but the first EuroCity train to Prague on Monday cuts it too close for my flight at 1pm.

Glad you can make it to Brussels on the Saturday night, simplifies mayters no end! The Ibis is pretty decent too...

Couple of thoughts:
1. there's very little in it as between Eurostar to Brussels and CD thence, and DB to Dresden/Nuremberg plus CD.
2. there's also only 10 Euros difference between Standard/2nd and SP/1st on DB. Even though you won't be able to use the DB Lounge, I'd upgrade.
3. you save very little going via Cheb, so I'd take the Dresden/Elbe Valley route and enjoy a happy hour meal in the CD restaurant car on Sunday night. Allow yourself 2hr in Leipzig or Dresden to be sure of making the connection. (I've done most of the route via Cheb, it's also very nice but the Elbe Valley is special if you've not done it before.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top