• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Carlisle - What ticket booth do I go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
I'm a bit of a novice in regards to very long journeys but I might, one day, go from Glasgow Central to Carlisle.

Would I just need to go to the standard Glasgow Central ticket booth for the ticket, or would I need to go somewhere else? Thanks a lot!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I'm a bit of a novice in regards to very long journeys but I might, one day, go from Glasgow Central to Carlisle.

Would I just need to go to the standard Glasgow Central ticket booth for the ticket, or would I need to go somewhere else? Thanks a lot!

Main ticket office, with Virgin staff. The other is a ScotRail one for Scottish destinations. The booth in the Virgin ticket office nearest the door is usually for same-day travel and the others are for advance purchase
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
I'm a bit of a novice in regards to very long journeys but I might, one day, go from Glasgow Central to Carlisle.

Would I just need to go to the standard Glasgow Central ticket booth for the ticket, or would I need to go somewhere else? Thanks a lot!

If you want to get a dirt-cheap Advance fare that only allows you to travel on the train you have a reservation on, then you need to book at least a day ahead. You may buy such tickets up to sometime in the evening the day before depending on when the reservation system closes for a particular TOC, typically between 1800 and 2359. These can be bought in advance from a ticket office, from telesales or online.

For walk-on fares such as Off-Peak Return and Off-Peak Day Return, you may buy them on the day of travel from the station ticket office.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
You can use either booth in Glasgow Central. I generally use the Virgin one, but I'm sure the "Scottish Destination" office would also sell the ticket, considering Scotrail serve Carlisle and it is only just over the border. Best to go with the Virgin one in the Travel Centre, as they're very good in my experience. You can also buy tickets on the day from the machines in Central station.

Scotrail's "Route Dumfries" ticket is slightly cheaper if you do wish to go that way, although it takes longer and is much less frequent than the WCML. If you fancy going with Virgin, you will need the "Any Permitted" tickets.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Very little need for advance on tickets to Carlisle, it's less than £25 for the 105 mile run
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
But about double from Edinburgh <(

? It's not double!

A Glasgow to Carlisle Off-Peak Return (valid after 09:00) costs £21.

An Edinburgh to Carlisle Off-Peak Day Return (valid after 09:30) costs £23.

The only difference is that one is a day return and the other isn't.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
A Glasgow to Carlisle Off-Peak Return (valid after 09:00) costs £21
An Edinburgh to Carlisle Off-Peak Day Return (valid after 09:30) costs £23.

The only difference is that one is a day return and the other isn't.
Try comparing like to like, with the Glasgow - Carlisle Off-Peak Day Return or Edinburgh - Carlisle Off-Peak Return
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Try comparing like to like, with the Glasgow - Carlisle Off-Peak Day Return or Edinburgh - Carlisle Off-Peak Return

I think for day trips the comparison's fair as there is no Day fare for Glasgow - Carlisle.

For period return the Edinburgh fare is horrendous, although it is an 8A restriction, which means that it should actually be compared to the SOR from Glasgow, which turns out to be more expensive.

That said for a period return after 0900 the Glasgow - Carlisle SVR is considerably cheaper.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top