• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I would assume that payments (staged or otherwise) have already been made for the new rolling stock, without the public being able to enjoy the new toy. I’m currently riding on the 777’s on Merseyrail, but apart from the inaudible automated PA announcement the comfort level is much improved, but I doubt the contrast will be as stark on the Glasgow system….
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,835
Location
Clydebank
When they eventually enter service and I get my first ride on one, I'll certainly notice the difference! It won't be quite as stark a change as it no doubt was when the stock was replaced the first time around of course, but I'd be lying if I said there won't be noticeable differences between the Met-Cams and the Stadlers from the passengers' perspective.

The fact that the last stock replacement was part and parcel of a system-wide refurbishment/rebuild that totally transformed the look and feel of the system no doubt has something to do with this perception. What doesn't help is that the 'ongoing' station refurbishment programme seems to have stalled out, leaving quite a few stations across the system looking, for lack of a better word, unfinished at platform level. Obviously, nowhere near as bad as the system was in the last few years leading up to it's May 1977 closure, but not all that great either.
 
Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
As nice the new trains are and I've ridden the old ones too which does have it's own charm, I found them to be comfortable and plan to return once the new trains comes in.

Expansion of the subway including above surface routes would make better use of the new trains as the current system is static while everything above ground has moved on some stations are now far away from some attractions.

But that's another argument.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,782
Location
SW London
Obviously it would mean a period of no service whilst a conversion takes place, but given the closer nature, and scale, I’m surprised they haven’t moved away from top contact 3rd rail on safety grounds on the new units.
When they converted from cable to electric in 1935, I understand they did one direction at a time, so there was a period when it was cable one way and electric the other (and two longer periods when the subway operated in one direction only, as the other was being converted). Only works on a circular system of course, and then only when the circle is relatively small. They could have converted the electrification system the same way.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I truly doubt whether we’ll see the new trains running before next year now - but the following visit by TFL staff might prove a laugh (if nothing else)!


Turns out I got that wrong! They made it on 11th December - 20 days before 2024!
 
Last edited:

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
I've heard someone saying that the new trains will enter service sometime this week, but I have not found anything online to back this up. Does anyone have any further information?
 

clc

Established Member
Joined
31 Oct 2011
Messages
1,326
There definitely hasn’t been any official announcement but maybe they’ll keep it low key and slip them in without any fanfare.
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,041
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Shame last Monday's plans fell through. Seeing rumours that this coming Monday (Dec 11th) is now the date. Anyone here heading into town to see if it happens?
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Shame last Monday's plans fell through. Seeing rumours that this coming Monday (Dec 11th) is now the date. Anyone here heading into town to see if it happens?
Providing the weather holds up (not a lot to do otherwise) - I plan a small excursion on one of the services IF this is the first official day. I’ll ask before I purchase my round trip ticket! Then there’s Barrhead too!
 

nlogax

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
6,041
Location
Mostly Glasgow-ish. Mostly.
Providing the weather holds up (not a lot to do otherwise) - I plan a small excursion on one of the services IF this is the first official day. I’ll ask before I purchase my round trip ticket! Then there’s Barrhead too!

If it looks like the new stuff is running in the morning I'll venture into town later in the day and grab the new 380 service on the way. May bump into you then!
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
OK - Will look out for you!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I see SPT released a pseudo video last year showing the new trains underground:

 
Last edited:
Joined
10 Dec 2023
Messages
9
Location
Glasgow
Hi all - new member here but a bit of a rail geek in general and have been reading the comments for over a year now. I had to comment and just say thanks for the information so far and I wondered if anyone had any concrete info regarding releasing the new fleet tomorrow or this week?
Would be great to get on the subway and check out the new carriages.
Hope you're all well.

Kenneth
 

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
I asked a member of staff at St Enoch just now, and he said that they are considering putting two new trains into service on the Outer Circle sometime this afternoon! It looks like they might enter service from Govan!
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Confirmed also - probably from the same member of staff! Govan of course is the first stop on the Outer following the sheds ramp - a look from the car sheds might be able to confirm movement into the circle!
 

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
Confirmed also - probably from the same member of staff! Govan of course is the first stop on the Outer following the sheds ramp - a look from the car sheds might be able to confirm movement into the circle!
Did they give anything more specific than “sometime this afternoon”?
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Did they give anything more specific than “sometime this afternoon”?
Sadly no - I’m currently at Broomloan to see if there’s any movement but I can only spot the standard units heading into the workshops!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 91

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
Sadly no - I’m currently at Broomloan to see if there’s any movement but I can only spot the standard units heading into the workshops!
I just went over to the depot and can observe absolutely no movement at all. I’m now pondering whether to just sit on the platform at Govan and hope for the best.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Same here - staff at Govan were less helpful! Asking a driver on the Outer Circle he said they’d not been told anything but it may be ‘this week’ sometime. ☹️
 
Joined
10 Dec 2023
Messages
9
Location
Glasgow
I don’t think that it necessarily means that it is not today, it could still be anytime this afternoon.
Yeah, true. That's great, I stay right near the depot where they've been storing the new fleets so I'm going to take a walk over and can maybe count if one is missing ha!
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Had a wee diversion to Barrhead (first official service day for the 380 EMU) now back to Govan to wait - good mobile connection on all the platforms to pass the time!
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,682
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
You’ll miss it! Due 1350 departing Govan on the outer, immediately followed by a second set for 1 circuit!
 

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
You’ll miss it! Due 1350 departing Govan on the outer, immediately followed by a second set for 1 circuit!
Is 13:50 definitely the first one?

————————————————

Okay, I’m now on the platform. Hopefully it actually turns up!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top