• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
I was thinking the same thing. I believe Queen Street is Scotrail-managed so the Network Rail decision doesn't apply, but it still seems a bit cheap and nasty

I agree a bit of a cheek. Do any other SR-managed stations charge for the loo? I know Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness don't.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,838
Had my first look at it on Saturday and I’m a tiny bit underwhelmed. Maybe I was being unrealistic and it’s the best possible use of the space. One question - is the glass in the end of the original train shed opaque, or just dirty?
 
Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,847
I agree a bit of a cheek. Do any other SR-managed stations charge for the loo? I know Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness don't.
Unfortunately since charges/barriers were removed at a number of stations anti social behaviour has rocketed including a significant number of drug overdoses in the cubicles. A nominal charge does tend to keep things in order.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
This probably warrant its own thread but my my tuppence worth or perhaps that should be £50 worth is that I would far rather see toilet charges retained to keep usage manageable and facilities up-to-date and clean. it won't be long until network Rail say that the toilets at all of their stations are in a terrible state because they don't have the money to refurbish them. Usage will then go down and then closed them all together and and every station back entrance and taxi rank will turn into an open urinal. bring back the charges I say it's been an interesting experiment but one that should end now just stop things sliding down the slippery slope to oblivion


All credit to ScotRail for realising this
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,602
This probably warrant its own thread but my my tuppence worth or perhaps that should be £50 worth is that I would far rather see toilet charges retained to keep usage manageable and facilities up-to-date and clean. it won't be long until network Rail say that the toilets at all of their stations are in a terrible state because they don't have the money to refurbish them. Usage will then go down and then closed them all together and and every station back entrance and taxi rank will turn into an open urinal. bring back the charges I say it's been an interesting experiment but one that should end now just stop things sliding down the slippery slope to oblivion


All credit to ScotRail for realising this
There are already two or three threads on the topic
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
This probably warrant its own thread but my my tuppence worth or perhaps that should be £50 worth is that I would far rather see toilet charges retained to keep usage manageable and facilities up-to-date and clean. it won't be long until network Rail say that the toilets at all of their stations are in a terrible state because they don't have the money to refurbish them. Usage will then go down and then closed them all together and and every station back entrance and taxi rank will turn into an open urinal. bring back the charges I say it's been an interesting experiment but one that should end now just stop things sliding down the slippery slope to oblivion


All credit to ScotRail for realising this
I wouldn't mind this is they enabled contactless payment, it's awful when you really need to go and have to hunt about for the correct change in whatever denomination they deem appropriate.
 

haggishunter

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2016
Messages
349
If the anti social behaviour argument is the main reason (and I wonder if the cost of charging actually generates any net income) - then could the turnstiles not be set up so a valid train ticket gives you access too.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,322
Arent the toilets free at the moment at Queen St, in the Portakabins?

The toilets at Glasgow Central have been a godsend with many closed at the moment.
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Still disappointed with the muted external signage.
i think such stations should shout what they are, passers by should have their attention grabbed so they might see the station and think ‘that’s convenient’, as well as making it easier for out of towners to find.
 

InOban

On Moderation
Joined
12 Mar 2017
Messages
4,538
What?!! A dramatic bit of modern design with huge double arrows and golden cladding. Muted?
One could argue that it stands out like a sore thumb amidst its Victorian surroundings.
Or were you joking?
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Two photos (not mine) from this morning – muted signage or easy to find? :)

It doesn’t actually say “station” but there are certain clues (being able to see trains through the big windae being one).

6AB506E1-37F6-45B8-B7D9-BBD8F3029181.jpeg

A9A57FFD-A67F-42C8-8DF3-E43955B9DFF3.jpeg
 

mcmad

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2015
Messages
1,078
In your first photo, you can't actually make out the station name for the glare, suspect its worse in the photo than real life but it is another triumph of architects vision against practical reality.

(and no, in neither picture can I see trains through the big windaes!)
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Got to admit I had made the post based on a cropped view and not realising the double arrows have gone on.
however the top photo shows how the lettering doesn’t show up.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
:lol:
Here’s another photo (mine this time) from 7th August, when the sun appeared briefly.
The white lettering is more visible (zoom in) but it could be argued that it could be somewhat larger and a more contrasting colour to aid visibility. Sometimes there is a very clear view of the interior of the station, depending on the light and angle of viewing.

A1C26D95-043C-401D-B0EF-37DAD63761AD.jpeg
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,602
:lol:
Here’s another photo (mine this time) from 7th August, when the sun appeared briefly.
The white lettering is more visible (zoom in) but it could be argued that it could be somewhat larger and a more contrasting colour to aid visibility. Sometimes there is a very clear view of the interior of the station, depending on the light and angle of viewing.

View attachment 82422
It's not terrible, but I think I'd be hard-pushed to say it was a massive improvement on the outside from this distance. It's always been a bit awkward just because of being on the edge of George Square rather than properly aligned with it. Closer up it's a lot nicer, and the interior looks like a big improvement (if you overlook the lack of a Burger King)
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,760
Location
Nottingham
It's not terrible, but I think I'd be hard-pushed to say it was a massive improvement on the outside from this distance. It's always been a bit awkward just because of being on the edge of George Square rather than properly aligned with it. Closer up it's a lot nicer, and the interior looks like a big improvement (if you overlook the lack of a Burger King)
From that position I don't think the original entrance beneath the 60s hotel extension would have been obvious at all. The big double arrow logo identifies it much better, if people know what it means (which must be the majority of train travelers surely? Non-travelers probably don't need to know.)
 

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2015
Messages
3,003
It's a massive improvement over what went before it and I do genuinely like it.

I do remain slightly sad that the Charles Rennie Mackintosh 'railway terminus' design couldn't have been adopted for the station frontage however (I'm sure I'll have said this before).
 

d9009alycidon

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2011
Messages
985
Location
Eaglesham
Two photos (not mine) from this morning – muted signage or easy to find? :)

It doesn’t actually say “station” but there are certain clues (being able to see trains through the big windae being one).

Could be worse - it could say "Glasgow Queen Street TRAIN Station":D
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
i think such stations should shout what they are, passers by should have their attention grabbed so they might see the station and think ‘that’s convenient’, as well as making it easier for out of towners to find.
I don't think there will be many people, walking through Glasgow, who would see the station and think "Well, I was going to go to my work today but now that I've seen the railway station maybe I'll take a jolly to Oban instead." :p
 

mcmad

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2015
Messages
1,078
I don't think there will be many people, walking through Glasgow, who would see the station and think "Well, I was going to go to my work today but now that I've seen the railway station maybe I'll take a jolly to Oban instead." :p
more likely that they'll see the station and thing "Must pop in on the way home to pick up some messages"!
 

Altnabreac

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2013
Messages
2,425
Location
Salt & Vinegar
I don't think there will be many people, walking through Glasgow, who would see the station and think "Well, I was going to go to my work today but now that I've seen the railway station maybe I'll take a jolly to Oban instead." :p

Every time I pass Queen Street I think "I'll take a jolly to Corrour instead of going to work."

Sadly I have to resist the urge every time!
 

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,890
Location
Central Scotland
I don't think there will be many people, walking through Glasgow, who would see the station and think "Well, I was going to go to my work today but now that I've seen the railway station maybe I'll take a jolly to Oban instead." :p

Just make sure you don't get the 0520 service!
 

Steddenm

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
1,251
Location
Clane, Co. Kildare
Slight cock up this morning at Queen Street...

The 1039 ScotRail service to Dundee is showing as a Virgin Challenger service with "complementary first class restaurant available" on the CIS.

It is a HST though!
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top