• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen St to Falkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
If I have a season ticket between Falkirk Stations and Glasgow Cen /Queen Street- is it an acceptable route to travel from GLQ to Falkirk Grahamston via Polmont?

The train I will be catching to Polmont actually stops at Falkirk High before Polmont but I want to go to FKG.

Many Thanks.

ps I know there is a direct service from GLQ to FKG but it is a "bus job" from Cumbernauld at the time in question.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,307
No, there is a easement forbidding this.

300394 Customers travelling from Glasgow Queen Street to Camelon and Falkirk Grahamston may not travel via Polmont. This easement applies in both directions.
 

kendaldrac

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2013
Messages
17
In case anyone does not know where to look can get it direct from my drop box account
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire

Thanks all, some people have long memories :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I boarded the 1930 from GLQ to Edinburgh and sailed past Falkirk High getting off at Polmont.

I then crossed to the other side and caught the 2001 from Polmont to Falkirk Grahamston (Edinburgh to Dunblane Service).

The Guard approached me "any tickets from Polmont" - with some trepidation I proffered my Glasgow Stations to Falkirk Stations 7 Day Season Ticket (my £2.30 in my other hand being the fare from POL to FKG).

However the cash remained in my paw as he merely nodded and said thank you wandering on down the carriage.

So common sense prevailed and I was not questioned as to any "easement" :p
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
I would take a guess that the guard did not know about that easement. He probably doesn't know any easements, as some guards probably don't know what an easement is, probably "does it seem reasonable? Yeah I guess so" or some other guards (when I have shown an incorrect ticket by accident and it is accepted) "Is it a ticket? Yeah I guess so" ;)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I would take a guess that the guard did not know about that easement. He probably doesn't know any easements, as some guards probably don't know what an easement is, probably "does it seem reasonable? Yeah I guess so" or some other guards (when I have shown an incorrect ticket by accident and it is accepted) "Is it a ticket? Yeah I guess so" ;)

So I did nothing wrong then ? - I take it my responsibility does not extend to trying to tell him how to do his job :p

Wonder what would have happened had an RPI been onboard as well !!

Would a lot of the older Guards fail to get through the selection process undertaken today as opposed to 20 or thirty years ago.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
So common sense prevailed and I was not questioned as to any "easement" :p
Well, as we said in February 2012, if it's deemed reasonable by the Guard, the ticket is going to be accepted without fuss. Hardly any Guards trying to memorise a list of unreasonable "negative easements" and then try to enforce them.

Sure, there's one or two, such as an infamous Guard on East Coast who is notorious and has caused havoc for several forum members, but he's very much the exception!

I don't think there's anything we can say that wasn't said in the original thread.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
The only thing I would say you did wrong was have the incorrect fare available as, if your season is to Falkirk stations, you would surely need to pay for a single from High to Polmont and from Polmont to Grahamston... ;)

Or does Polmont count as a 'Falkirk' station...???
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
The only thing I would say you did wrong was have the incorrect fare available as, if your season is to Falkirk stations, you would surely need to pay for a single from High to Polmont and from Polmont to Grahamston... ;)
You mean a return from Falkirk Stns to Polmont ;)
Or does Polmont count as a 'Falkirk' station...???
Nope.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
In case anyone does not know where to look can get it direct from my drop box account

Please don't post direct links like this, as ATOC have a habit of updating the easements (and sometimes leaving PDFs of the old versions around on their original URLs). Linking to the page bb21 linked to ensures that people don't inadvertently refer to an old version later on
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
There is an unwritten rule in this case. We may allow passengers with mobility problems to travel from FKG via PMT to GLQ &c. as otherwise it is a fairly steep hike up to the High Station.

Under no circumstances should this be permitted in the opposite direction as this is just plain laziness. More often than not you can walk (downhill mind) from FKK to FKG quicker than taking the train via PMT.

In general, and for the avoidance of doubt, this is not a valid route. That said some guards neither know nor care about this - some do though and you should watch out if the F & S boys are out and about as they treat season ticket fraud quite seriously - if it is your intention to travel via PMT then you should purchase a return ticket prior to your boarding at GLQ or at the very least ask the guard prior to departing FKK.


I know there is a direct service from GLQ to FKG but it is a "bus job" from Cumbernauld at the time in question.

If you mention this when asking on train then there is a good chance of unofficial permission being granted, however.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Sorry my memory is not what it was :cry:
That's why I provided a link :lol:;)

Under no circumstances should this be permitted in the opposite direction as this is just plain laziness. More often than not you can walk (downhill mind) from FKK to FKG quicker than taking the train via PMT.
:lol:

Another advantage for Butts is that he could have a smoke on the way:p

However there may be a negative easement in the Smoking Guide preventing this...
Persons nicknamed "Butts" walking between Falkirk High & Grahamston are not permitted to smoke. This easement applies in both directions.
​
But fortunately most enforcement officers are unaware of the negative easements listed in the Smoking Guide ;):lol:
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
That's why I provided a link :lol:;)


:lol:

Another advantage for Butts is that he could have a smoke on the way:p

However there may be a negative easement in the Smoking Guide preventing this...
Persons nicknamed "Butts" walking between Falkirk High & Grahamston are not permitted to smoke. This easement applies in both directions.
​
But fortunately most enforcement officers are unaware of the negative easements listed in the Smoking Guide ;):lol:

Ho Ho !!! ....what's this "bash Butts day" :cry:

Yorkie your subscription to The Beano is yielding dividends on the humour front <D
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
This morning I travelled on the 0700 from Queen Street to Polmont and then zipped across the platform to catch the 0732 to Falkirk Grahamston.

My ticket was checked between Polmont and Falkirk Grahamston with no adverse reaction from the Guard.

I have a feeling there is an easement for Benson and Hedges Smoking Felines to travel from Glasgow Queen Street to Falkirk Grahamston via Polmont. :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top