• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central (GLC) to Workington (WKG) Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald2007

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
108
Hi,

Thanks to some tips from here I am familiar with using the via/avoid to churn out routings that would ordinarily not be offered by the booking systems. This is particularly useful when looking for advance tickets with connections to non-reservable services as I often do on a journey like GLC-WKG.

In this case and it is a general point applicable to all weekday service timings, I want to book a fare on the 09:40 from GLC to WKG via Carlisle (CAR). The 09:40 has the First Class advance fares available which can be verified by checking GLC-CAR but will not show up as a ticketable routing on the full GLC-WKG because the forced connection is over an hour.

A First Advance fare GLC-CAR can be had for £25 with a connection to WKG it adds only £2.50. Hence split ticketing would be unfavourable.

Is there any way to book this online? I presume it can be done in a station?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
Try using the 'text only' button on a webtis booking site and tick 'extended interchange time'.
 

donald2007

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
108
I have found the feature but unfortunately it won't show the connection. It might be no fare is filed for this connection?
 

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
I think that the problem is that the minimum interchange time at Carlisle is 8 minutes, and you want to catch the 0940 which arrives at Carlisle at 0947 in order to catch the 0954 to Workington, but unfortunately that is a 7-minute connection. I think that's why the journey planners are not showing the itinerary you want.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
However, you could use the Raileasy website and then use their Advanced Options to specify a minimum interchange time of 70 minutes. However, if that generates a reservation on the 1208 from Carlisle to Workington, you wouldn't then be able to use the 1054 even if timing on the day made that feasible.
 
Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Joined
16 Apr 2010
Messages
4,235
Location
Reading
However, you could use the Raileasy website and then use their Advanced Options to specify a minimum interchange time of 70 minutes. However, if that generates a reservation on the 1208 from Carlisle to Workington, you wouldn't then be able to use the 1054 even if timing on the day made that feasible.
This is the correct answer, I think. Both the 1054 and 1208 are unreservable so there will be no issues with reservations. Your itinerary will say to take the 1208, but simply (assuming the arrival from Glasgow is on time) take the 1054 instead.
 

donald2007

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
108
Indeed, thats what I want to do, take the 1208.

On raileasy I cannot find the option to specify a connection time. There is the 'extra time' but I don't see a possibility to enter the connection time with the example of 70 mins.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the end I got this ticketed at a mainline station because WKG couldn't manage it. It's a bit of a pain as WKG has no Fast Ticket machine whereas WTH does.

If anyone could give me a step-by-step guide to ticketing this online it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2013
Messages
1,712
On Raileasy, you would need to click on the "Trainsplit" tab, and then use the Advanced Options on the trainsplit page to specify a minimum connection time of 70 minutes. Apologies for not making this clear before.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top