• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow CEN/QST - Edinburgh routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I assume I have the option of four routes between these two points. Which would you recommend to go on?

Duration isn't really an issue but I'd like it to be scenic. :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,476
Location
Yorkshire
Only 4? More than that.

Glasgow QS - Lenzie - Falkirk High - Edinburgh
Glasgow QS - Cumbernauld - Falkirk Grahamston - Edinburgh
Glasgow QS - Airdrie - Bathgate - Edinburgh
Glasgow Central - Shotts - Edinburgh
Glasgow Central - Carstairs - Edinburgh

That's 5, basic, straightforward routes.

You could do variations such as:

Glasgow Central - Motherwell - Cumbernauld - Falkirk Grahamston (possible walk to High if you wish) - Edinburgh
Glasgow QS - Greenfaulds - Motherwell - Carstairs - Edinburgh

Also if going via Motherwell & Carstairs, then via Wishaw is also permitted.

Without knowing your criteria, it is impossible to advise on any particular route, but some would take a lot longer than others.
 

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
£9 First Class Day Return via Motherwell is available if travelling on XC. About £7 Single (1st).
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Duration isn't really an issue but I'd like it to be scenic. :)
Don't go via Falkirk High then
Equally, much of it is very urban
Therefore to see the most varying and interesting scenery travel via Motherwell and Carstairs
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Thanks for replies. I got the number 4 from the Wikipedia article on Glasgow-Edinburgh lines. I wouldn't like to spend more than 90 minutes on the train and I'll rule out going via Falkirk. I'm torn between going via Airdrie and Bathgate and via Carstairs but I wouldn't like to spend more than 90 minutes on the train.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Thanks for replies. I got the number 4 from the Wikipedia article on Glasgow-Edinburgh lines.

Four is the direct services- the Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston routes is a change at Falkirk.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Four is the direct services- the Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston routes is a change at Falkirk.
Total journey time is high as there is typically a wait of about 20 minutes at Falkirk Grahamston, there is no direct service
However, time it right, with the right ticket, and travel on the 10:46 from Falkirk Grahamston which is the Inverness - Kings Cross HST or the 16:33 Edinburgh to Falkirk Grahamston which is the Kings Cross - Inverness HST
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
There are also several ways to get between Glasgow Central and Motherwell, if not using the XC ticket:

Glasgow Central LL to Motherwell via Wishaw or Hamilton Central
Glasgow Central to Newton via Queens Park or Mount Florida, then Netwon to Motherwell via Hamilton Central;
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Thanks for replies. I got the number 4 from the Wikipedia article on Glasgow-Edinburgh lines. I wouldn't like to spend more than 90 minutes on the train and I'll rule out going via Falkirk. I'm torn between going via Airdrie and Bathgate and via Carstairs but I wouldn't like to spend more than 90 minutes on the train.

If you don't want to spend longer then 90 minutes travelling then you're far better off getting the shuttles between Queen Street and Edinburgh via Falkirk High which takes about 50 minutes even if it's not scenic.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
If you don't want to spend longer then 90 minutes travelling then you're far better off getting the shuttles between Queen Street and Edinburgh via Falkirk High which takes about 50 minutes even if it's not scenic.

XC via Carstairs is typically around 55 mins. Airdrie - Bathgate is by far the longest direct route (in mins)
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
XC via Carstairs is typically around 55 mins. Airdrie - Bathgate is by far the longest direct route (in mins)

that surprises me that its longer than the Glasgow Central - Edinburgh via Uddingston service.
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
I would suggest it depends on various factors - do you only want scenery, or is railway interest a consideration? I may have been unlucky with both the Shotts line and the Falkirk Grahamston via Cumbernauld route, but mostly I just watch soggy fields!

Falkirk High line: plenty of railway interest during exit from Glasgow, good views northwards to the Forth and Clyde Canal and to the hills to the north – the Kilsyth Hills, and then the Ochils beyond Stirling. Pleasant countryside right through to the Edinburgh City boundary, apart from the industry (and good views of Edinburgh Airport) at Newbridge. Linlithgow Palace is probably the best-known landmark on that stretch.

Cumbernauld and Falkirk Grahamston line: not remarkable at its western end, but better after Cumbernauld. There is a very nice wooded stretch with a waterfall in Cumbernauld Glen (visible on the south side of the track, when looking westwards).

Airdrie – Bathgate line: Glasgow/Lanarkshire urban sprawl to Caldercruix, but lots of interesting railway features to enjoy if you like spotting relics of how it all used to be. Pleasant but unremarkable moorland scenery after Hillend Reservoir, and then an urban section through Bathgate and Livingston with a further few miles of farmland before reaching the E-G via Falkirk High line.

Shotts line: another one that is more pleasant at its eastern end, particularly after Kirknewton IMO. Western end has a lot of railway interest as it departs Glasgow Central, but the endless urban sprawl tends to get boring once off the multiple tracks!

Motherwell and Carstairs: haven’t used this for ages, but recall it is very pleasant scenically once you pass the Wishaw area. Of them all, this is the one I would prefer, partly because it is difficult for me to justify a trip on it (given that I stay on the northernmost of these routes!)
 

Wildrover

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2010
Messages
25
Location
3 capitals 1 second city
well we have lots of choice,

I dislike Falkirk route as it is often busy and the I do not find the trains quiet or comfortable. Usually I take the next quiet route service and I really like the new electric service as the quality of the train is excellent, although the journey is quite long.
I have been trying out new routes upon the reduction of the East coast service through to Glasgow, although the CC can be a cheap deal. What about up to Stirling and down to the capital
Sent to the board as the train goes under the Motorway and into sunny Easterhouse.
Oh and 3g reception is ok on much of the route.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
Maybe one day there'll be a Glasgow Queen Street to Haymarket Service...

via Alloa & Fife Circle...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top