• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow area train spotting and photography locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy78uk

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2021
Messages
7
Location
North Yorkshire
Hi All,

Got a few days in Glasgow at the beginning of March and looking for some suggestions for train spotting/photography locations.

I would particularly like to photograph some of the Class 318, 320 & 334 units.

Already planning on visits to Glasgow Central and Dalmuir, and also aim to visit Edinburgh Haymarket for some of the diesel units and HST sets.

But, also looking for some good freight locations.

Is there anywhere that you can photograph the Glasgow Subway trains?

Good bus photography locations will also be welcome.

Cheers

Andy :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
Is there anywhere that you can photograph the Glasgow Subway trains?
You can see parts of the depot complex from the street alongside in Govan, but not easy to see the trains. You'd likely be better off just photographing them at stations below ground. Some of the quieter ones with island platforms such as West Street might be better for photography than the busier ones like Govan, St Enoch, Buchanan Street and Partick.
 

D1024

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2020
Messages
203
Location
Inverurie
Whilst I am sure someone with better local knowledge will be along shortly, I'll give you a couple of suggestions:
I would particularly like to photograph some of the Class 318, 320 & 334 units.
Partick is good for this

Is there anywhere that you can photograph the Glasgow Subway trains

Underground I have found Partick (again!) fairly good.

But, also looking for some good freight locations.

Freight is a bit sparse these days - mostly centered on Mossend & Coatbridge (in the Glasgow area ). Holytown station is a good bet - Realtimes Trains should give you an idea of times. The Ft William - Blyth 'Alcans' offer something different on the North Clyde route through Dumbarton - again, RTT is your friend:D

Good bus photography locations will also be welcome.
Not my area of particular interest but there is usually an enthusiast/photographer or 2 taking in the action around the entrance to Buchanan Bus Station on Killermont St whenever I pass through.
 

matchmaker

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
1,890
Location
Central Scotland
Whilst I am sure someone with better local knowledge will be along shortly, I'll give you a couple of suggestions:

Partick is good for this



Underground I have found Partick (again!) fairly good.



Freight is a bit sparse these days - mostly centered on Mossend & Coatbridge (in the Glasgow area ). Holytown station is a good bet - Realtimes Trains should give you an idea of times. The Ft William - Blyth 'Alcans' offer something different on the North Clyde route through Dumbarton - again, RTT is your friend:D


Not my area of particular interest but there is usually an enthusiast/photographer or 2 taking in the action around the entrance to Buchanan Bus Station on Killermont St whenever I pass through.
Best place for the Alcans is probably Westerton, which also means that you can catch Fort William/Mallaig/Oban services as well.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
Hyndland is also quite good for photographs & spotting as it's an island platform so reduced chance of being bowled being able to ID something on the opposite platform when being blocked by another train
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top