Roylang
Member
Flamingo - what do you do if somebody like that asks for a UFN? Personally, I play along initially - get them to write out name/address details and then make them the subject of a nice TIR.
The reasoning behind this is simple - if you know about UFN's, you've obviously got on board without a ticket or any means to pay sometime previously. And getting on board with no money and no means to pay is as far as I'm concerned evidence of intent to avoid the fare due. The same goes for the 'you'll have to swipe my card' brigade. Authorisation fail by HSBC equals a TIR. And a TIR usually equals prosecution.
That's a little harsh. I have never deliberately tried to avoid paying the correct fare, and would never condone it. I am however, thanks to this forum, aware of the UPFN. Surely you cannot be saying that knowledge of the system is proof of guilt?
I would also suggest that "playing along" with the UPFN when you know that you will be issuing a TIR is somewhat deceitful and potentially damaging to the image of the railways that you, amongst others, try to protect.
There are genuine cases where people are on trains incorrectly - my mother in-law recently did it. She was travelling from Reading to Penzance on the 16:33 Reading - Penzance. The previous train (15:06 PAD-PNZ) was delayed following a fatality and was shown and announced as the second train to arrive at Reading, following the16:06 PAD-PNZ service. As it was, the 15:06 service arrived first, had Penzance as the destination in the coach windows and on she got. She had not noticed that the station displays had changed nor heard any announcements (although there had undoubtedly been at least one).
It was not until the guard arrived that the error was realised. She is a pensioner and is not in the position to simply buy a new ticket to Penzance, nor would she appreciated being shown the door at the next station. As for prosecution, I think she would refuse to ever travel by train again.
Sometimes a little understanding is needed. As for your assumption that we are deliberately fiddling the system if we know what it is? It beggars belief and is an attitude little better than that of the much criticised Ricky.
Roy
