• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting to Stansted

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister_D

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
6
Hi

Christmas is coming and I am going home for a couple of weeks.

However, I still have to tackle the challenge of getting from Drayton Green (or Ealing Broadway) to Stansted Airport, to get in a 7am flight.

Does anybody have good advice for me? Also, I was wondering how much I'll spend. I have an Oyster card, but will it be of any use?

Thanks in advance for the input,
Diogo
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
675
You might need to give the date you're planning on travelling - a lot of services differ over the Christmas period.

The Oyster card isn't valid all the way to Stansted.
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2009
Messages
364
Location
Melbourne, Australia
G'day

Probably your best bet would be N7 change to the N8 enroute which will take you Liverpool St, then the Stansted Airport train, If you are on Ryanair best to aim to be at STN by 0530 for a 0700 flight, good luck.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
Controversial advice on a rail forum, I know....but from West London I might be inclined to go by National Express coach, especially at that time in the morning: it should be a bit cheaper, and (given the time it will take you to get to Liverpool STreet) possibly no slower.

I might consider getting the TfL Bus 83 (which has a 24-hour service, with a frequency of half-hourly overnight) from Ealing to Golders Green, and then the NatEx Coach A6 (which runs AT LEAST every half-hour, 24 hours a day) to Stansted. The timetable for the 83 allows around 40 mins from Ealing Broadway to Golders Green). Journey time from Golders Green to Stansted is stated at between 55 and 75 minutes, depending on the time of day. I used to use this coach a lot to get to Stansted for early flights, and generally found it reliable.

You could use the Oyster to get you to Golders Green, but not on the coach beyond there (A Single coach fare on the route is £10)
 

Squaddie

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2009
Messages
1,072
Location
London
Unless your budget is especially tight, you should consider staying at an airport hotel the night before your flight. Depending on the exact date you'll be flying, there are some good deals available for December. Try booking.com and enter 'Stansted airport'. The Radisson Blu is especially good, and is just a couple of minutes' walk from the terminal. Alternatively, some of the B&Bs within a few miles of the airport offer free transfers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top