• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting replies to complaints that don't address the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
And one would probably pay a lot of money for it. Not that I agree with that. Part of the problem with dealing with complaints is that people expect either a) financial compensation for something that didn't financially inconvenience them or b) to hear that the person they are complaining about has been sacked. In most cases they will not receive satisfaction. Most people just want money. I am a complaint manager for a call centre in a different sector and I frequently listen to calls. In about 95% of the calls complained about the customer was wrong. In about 4.999% the call handler made an honest mistake. In about 0.001% the call handler was out of order. I am being harsh on the call handlers there. All errors are handled accordingly within the company. We are harsh on people who mess up at our end because we don't actually enjoy taking abuse off pee'd off customers.

I can second this, working in a similar position in another industry to Fowler9.
People want to get their own way, if they don't they complain. If the company rolls over and gives into that customer they will complain and complain. Once you give someone financial compensation they will complain frequently. 98% of our repeat complainers are those who we have given some form of financial compensation in the past.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Strangely, I cannot recall a single web page, article, press release etc, by a company (rail or elsewhere) which clearly states that most correspondence is replied to automatically with stock paragraphs without any actual consideration of the issues raised. The conclusion I draw from this is that companies using such systems do not wish their customers to realise just how little the organisation thinks of them!
!

It's not on a website but I do have a response from EC which states that they have sent me a 'Standard copied response' after I told them not to fob me off.

Both barrels is polite when describing the response that went back the other way. I did eventually get a manager on the phone to address the issues who was quite taken aback when I told them I was recording the call
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
It's not on a website but I do have a response from EC which states that they have sent me a 'Standard copied response' after I told them not to fob me off.

Both barrels is polite when describing the response that went back the other way. I did eventually get a manager on the phone to address the issues who was quite taken aback when I told them I was recording the call

I hope you said you were recording it right at the start of the call otherwise you may as well just keep it for personal entertainment, it won't be any good anywhere else. :D
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
That is a fair point mate and I don't know what the East Coast business model is but I would imagine that it would be pretty hard for a complaint handler to find out exactly why complementary tea and coffee wasn't served on that particular train. They may possibly have tried making calls and sending e-mails to the third party involved but from experience of similar fields they are wasting their time as no one will get back to them.

Which, surely is the whole point. Customer Service (or the complaint handler) is totally divorced from the business itself.

Is customer service meant to replicate local response but achieve it more efficiently whilst still addressing customer queries, or merely to fob customers off at lowest cost / minimal action. We both know the answer to that one!

In the case of East Coast, the complaint handler should have received the response, in time, to pass back to the customer. Anything else is not customer service!

I have a friend who works for BT, in an English call centre. The staff there are often reduced to tears by rude / abusive / aggressive customers. Yet those customers (except a small minority) do not set out to be that way - 'the system' and their failure to get a response to their query pushes them down that passive/aggressive route.

When I phoned BT's call centre (Indian), all I received was a standard 'faults are usually fixed with three working days', and 'we're so sorry you're having a problem'. No information on what the problem was, or when it would actually be fixed (e.g. is it just my line, a street-wide problem or a local exchange problem). The call handler was, in effect, a voice-piece for a machine. After we had been round that circle several times, I simply hung up, as it was costing me serious money on my mobile call rates! Of course the killer line, whilst on hold is 'you can check the status of your fault on-line', err, how if my landline and broadband are down!
 
Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I can second this, working in a similar position in another industry to Fowler9.
People want to get their own way, if they don't they complain. If the company rolls over and gives into that customer they will complain and complain. Once you give someone financial compensation they will complain frequently. 98% of our repeat complainers are those who we have given some form of financial compensation in the past.

Same here, missed appointment compensation. There is normally a huge list of missed appointment compensation claims from the same person and various other frivolous compensation claims. They take up 90% of your time and stop you helping people with real problems. I will move heaven and earth to help someone we have messed things up for.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which, surely is the whole point. Customer Service (or the complaint handler) is totally divorced from the business itself.

Is customer service meant to replicate local response but achieve it more efficiently whilst still addressing customer queries, or merely to fob customers off at lowest cost / minimal action. We both know the answer to that one!

In the case of East Coast, the complaint handler should have received the response, in time, to pass back to the customer. Anything else is not customer service!

I have a friend who works for BT, in an English call centre. The staff there are often reduced to tears by rude / abusive / aggressive customers. Yet those customers (except a small minority) do not set out to be that way - 'the system' and their failure to get a response to their query pushes them down that passive/aggressive route.

When I phoned BT's call centre (Indian), all I received was a standard 'faults are usually fixed with three working days', and 'we're so sorry you're having a problem'. No information on what the problem was, or when it would actually be fixed (e.g. is it just my line, a street-wide problem or a local exchange problem). The call handler was, in effect, a voice-piece for a machine. After we had been round that circle several times, I simply hung up, as it was costing me serious money on my mobile call rates! Of course the killer line, whilst on hold is 'you can check the status of your fault on-line', err, how if my landline and broadband are down!

When you say "We both know the answer to that one" I presume you mean I fob people off in which case I'd rather not engage with you. I am a professional, I do my job well and I care about the customers I deal with even when they are rude and abusive.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,774
Location
Yorkshire
This is ringing a bell. Last year I was delayed by 2 hours as a First Manchester bus missed out part of its route (which it only takes on a Sunday). I complained to First Manchester. 3 months (!) later I got a reply by post. It was 3 pages and consisted of a list of reasons why buses might be later, mostly involving traffic congestion. Which there doesn't tend to be much of at 0900 on a Sunday. It was clear no-one had read my e-mail properly.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
When you say "We both know the answer to that one" I presume you mean I fob people off in which case I'd rather not engage with you. I am a professional, I do my job well and I care about the customers I deal with even when they are rude and abusive.

Don't say anything, let them have their rant, do not interrupt under any circumstances whilst they are ranting. If you interrupt, I find it makes the situation worse, and many start their ranting from the beginning!
Let them finish, I find they will then respect you more when you start explaining and answering concerns and actually listen to you. It also gives more chance to look up what they are annoyed with if you let them go on!
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,759
When you say "We both know the answer to that one" I presume you mean I fob people off in which case I'd rather not engage with you. I am a professional, I do my job well and I care about the customers I deal with even when they are rude and abusive.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a personal insult.

I don't know what industry you're in so cannot comment specifically.

Rather I comment in general terms on the organisation and behaviour of businesses in the current climate. I refer to the general obsession with cost cutting (or profit maximisation) at the likely expense of service quality, rather than your specific job within your specific company. Within any industry there will be good and bad companies. Within any company, even a bad one, there will be individuals who still perform well despite the situation they find themselves in. Some 'banks' have an excellent reputation for their call-centres, others not so.

Complaints are different than 'customer service'. The complaint usually happening as a result of perceived service failure. If you're authorised to resolve complaints in a certain way and that results in a win-win situation, excellent. But, perhaps, in some companies, the emphasis is not on achieving a win-win situation?

My experience, as an employee, and as a customer, is that centralised customer service today is a less satisfactory experience than localised service (with a person you perhaps recognised e.g. local bank staff making local decisions) of old. Perhaps I simply do business with the wrong companies, but I suspect not.

Of course it could simply be that time has moved on and cost-cutting would have had the same impact on localised service, as it appears to have had on centralised delivery.

The managers / consultants that I came across personally in local government, with an agenda to push centralisation / call-centreing of everything / outsourcing, were very interested in the costs of everything (and how to reduce those costs) but had, shall we say, rather less interest in the impact of their proposals on service delivery. Media articles suggest the same applies elsewhere in the country.

I am quite sure that it is possible to deliver world-class customer service from a call-centre (wherever it is located) but, as has been pointed out, it comes down to costs - or the price customers are prepared to pay. Businesses seem to focus on costs rather than service delivered - until it is too late and customers have 'walked'.

I am quite sure an automated response from East Coast is perfectly adequate for some situations, e.g. delay / repay claims. But the OP made a specific point to East Coast, for which an individual response seems entirely reasonable. Customer service needs to be empowered to seek and receive those responses. It needn't cost much or take much time - an email (automated through CRM systems) to 'on-board catering' 'service failure' 'on-board service' 'train 1A11' '15/2/15' then individualised text 'customer enquires why no refreshments offered to First Class passengers between Grantham and Leeds'. A response should not be that hard to produce either, no-one is asking for a full page of A4.

In the good old days, the General Manager of Southern Region BR (or was it Southern Railway) expected a report (from the stationmaster) on his desk for every train that was more than 5 minutes late. Result - people did their best to ensure that trains were not late, thus avoiding the necessity to send a report to the boss and a subsequent telling off.

If East Coast (or anyone else) wants to avoid the expense of properly dealing with complaints, then prevent the complaints in the first place by providing the expected service!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't say anything, let them have their rant, do not interrupt under any circumstances whilst they are ranting. If you interrupt, I find it makes the situation worse, and many start their ranting from the beginning!
Let them finish, I find they will then respect you more when you start explaining and answering concerns and actually listen to you. It also gives more chance to look up what they are annoyed with if you let them go on!

Indeed, I always found that if you interrupt (even at a suitable pause in conversation) it just gives the ranter a second wind. Just make sure you keep listening to what they are saying rather than glazing over, letting your eyes drift elsewhere, or start thinking too hard about your response before they have finished.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
I hope you said you were recording it right at the start of the call otherwise you may as well just keep it for personal entertainment, it won't be any good anywhere else. :D

Oh they were told they got the full disclaimer before I would even confirm I was the person they were looking for.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Apologies Baxenden Bank. I am sure you meant no personal insult. In my job I can take people having a rant at me. If we have done nothing wrong then it is water off a ducks back and I am confident enough to say no if that makes sense. If we have done wrong then I assure the customer that I am going to work my ar*e off to make things right. The worst thing anyone can say to me is that I don't care or I am fobbing them off. Sometimes it is hard to make people understand that either 1) we haven't actually done anything wrong or 2) I cannot physically do what they want to put things right when we have done something wrong. It is frustrating for me and I just want to help.

The winter is the worst time of year in the field I work in and annoyingly enough I can't get letters out to people promptly. We normally work over the phone or by e-mail but we have to ask if someone would like a letter when a complaint is closed. The letters have to be done at some point and it normally means a few late nights, early starts or weekends depending on what shift I am on. Because of the work we do 90% of the letter is unique to each complaint as a rough estimate. The opening and closing paragraphs perhaps being the exception.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh they were told they got the full disclaimer before I would even confirm I was the person they were looking for.

Ha ha, fair enough mate. By the way mate, if you feel that your complaint hasn't been dealt with satisfactorily by the TOC there must surely be another body you can go to other than the TOC, I've not had a complaint go that far with a TOC so I wouldn't have a clue. Certainly everywhere I have worked in both finance and housing there has been an Ombudsman that a customer can go to if they aren't happy with my response and have always been perfectly happy to give the contact details out.
 
Last edited:

Via Bank

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2010
Messages
761
Location
London
A personal hate is when the stock replies include PR guff about how the TOC is "investing to improve the service, we know the provision of customer information is really important, etc. etc." when the information is barely relevant.

Case in point: I complained about an unannounced platform change at a South London station, with no announcements on the station or in the train. I was told by a certain TOC's customer relations department that although they did not operate the station, they would pass the information onto their sister company who did, and that "there are various methods of obtaining live train running information or information about upcoming engineering work by SMS, Internet, phone or email." (This is no good, unless I'm constantly refreshing NRE or sending SMS messages to Train Tracker up until the last fifteen seconds before departure!)

After a few more days, the station operating the TOC replied, proudly proclaiming they had plans to roll out the latest tablet technology to frontline staff, including drivers. Had they bothered to look at my complaint properly, they would have known that my complaint did not concern one of their drivers at all!

For reference, when I complained to another south London TOC about a significant delay, although they refused compensation due to it being short of their Passenger Charter threshold, I found their response better—they apologised in detail and explained what had gone wrong, which meant they had at least read and identified the incident I was talking about, and made an effort to repair the relationship with the customer.

By comparison, the response from the TOC that operated the South London station with no announcements were actually rather insulting—rather than addressing the problem (which I later found out was down to local noise restrictions) they took the opportunity to puff themselves up and say "we're brilliant, look at us, improving your railway."
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
Now I think it's clear why Virgin just operates a system of 'Dear xxx, Sorry. Here are some vouchers' repeated over and over.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Now I think it's clear why Virgin just operates a system of 'Dear xxx, Sorry. Here are some vouchers' repeated over and over.

I think the company I work for could save some money throwing vouchers at people instead of paying a load of managers to investigate things. It would put me out of a job like. :D
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,471
Those of you complaining about not receiving meaningful replies, spare a thought for me. ;)

After two letters of complaint and near on 90 days, I am still waiting to hear back from easyHotel regarding a H&S issue. An acknowledgement, let alone any sort of stock reply, would have been nice. :(

Now where is Stelios's email? <D
 

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2011
Messages
1,704
I have written to Southern twice this year on neither occasion has my email received anything other than a generic response which hasn't answered my questions or suggestions.

Mind you I expect their customer relation teams are busy
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
I can't recall ever receiving a reply from any TOC that actually addressed the issue(s) in my e-mail or letter. Most of them have required me to escalate them until I get a relevant (and anywhere near grammatically-correct) response.

Here's an extract from one that I received a couple of days ago from Southern:

"Thank you for contacting us on 17th February 2015 regarding Redhill Connections (again!).

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the response that we have sent you regarding the above complaint. I have read through the chain of emails and I apologise for the reply that we have sent."

The last sentence appears to back up those who tell us that an automatic reply system is used. BTW the subject (Redhill Connections(again!)) is a direct lift of my original e-mail title to Southern.
 
Last edited:

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
I hope you said you were recording it right at the start of the call otherwise you may as well just keep it for personal entertainment, it won't be any good anywhere else. :D
If your automated message saying that you are recording the call says it to their automated message saying that they are recording the call is that legal? <D
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Oh they were told they got the full disclaimer before I would even confirm I was the person they were looking for.
Glad to hear it. Wasn't aware that if you tell them at the start you can make more use of the phone call but it makes sense. Must remember that one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top