• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting into the Paddington First Class lounge for a fiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
A London Paddington to Ealing Broadway FDS costs £5.10. This is the cheapest ticket allowing First Class travel on a First Great Western service from Paddington.

Could this ticket be used to gain entry into the First Class lounge at Paddington? Would the staff accept it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ApAp

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
130
A London Paddington to Ealing Broadway FDS costs £5.10. This is the cheapest ticket allowing First Class travel on a First Great Western service from Paddington.

Could this ticket be used to gain entry into the First Class lounge at Paddington? Would the staff accept it?

Don't see why not.

They might have done back when it was officially a separate franchise (FGW Link) but now I can't see any way they could deny it. I've got into the EDB GNER lounge with a Haymarket ticket before.

I think you're aware of the traditional section of the lounge which is well worth a visit.
 
Joined
2 May 2011
Messages
287
Location
Nowhere
A better question might be "Would entry be worth £5.10?".

Not sure what the lounge is like, but my lasy visit admittedly some years ago was very much of the tea and biscuits variety. I dont really drink much by way of alcohol, so £5.10 for a cuppa and a newspaper starts to look a bit toppy.

Good question though!
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
It would be worth it if you were actually going to Ealing Broadway!
 

ApAp

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
130
I'd say it's worth it if you're travelling standard and have a while to wait for your train. If you want to relax and have non-alcoholic drinks, some cake and fruit (that's what I remember, there's probably biscuits too) it'd probably pay for itself considering what you'd pay for a coffee in the station. I do think it's one of the nicer looking lounges too, particularly the traditional bit.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Why not buy a ticket for the significantly closer Acton ML? I couldn't tell you if the Greenford trains have 1st though, I don't know what class of Networker works it!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Fair enough, I would have checked persinally, but I can't on my BB.

I thought there'd be no more 1st class threads ALR?
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Fair enough, I would have checked persinally, but I can't on my BB.

I thought there'd be no more 1st class threads ALR?

Oh yes I broke that promise! :oops:

But I only just found out about this. :) The "NR General Discussion" front page is getting a bit low on First Class threads too! :lol:

I see the Standard Class thread didn't last long. ;) (No offense DarloRich :smile:.) It's all First Class people on here! :lol: (Who travel on dirt cheap tickets...)
 

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
The Paddington lounge is great. Aside from one staff member, all are very friendly. Copies of the Times and various magazines to read, various soft drinks and a lovely hot drinks machine in the original lounge area before it was extended. They also have a mutual agreement to accept Heathrow Express First Class tickets, which I've used on various occasions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top