• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting a job on the railway at 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoublyEpic

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2016
Messages
4
Hello All,

I have one quick question. Are there any jobs i can get at the age of 16? If so what kind of job would they be?

Thanks Owen
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
3,035
Location
81D & 81E
Methinks it would be customer service based jobs only or things like an engineering apprenticeship. Anything Safety Critical and the min age is 18.
 

DoublyEpic

New Member
Joined
14 Aug 2016
Messages
4
That makes sense. I've spoken to people at Leicester station but not heard much but i know about the safety critical stuff.

Thanks for your comment.
 

168lover

Member
Joined
2 Aug 2013
Messages
630
Location
Chiltern Mailine Land
I speak from experience as I am currently 16 as well. What I've found is that there is not a lot of options in terms of apprenticeships or other work on the railway for under 18s. So what I suggest which is exactly what I am doing is volunteer at your local heritage railway to gain experience of a railway environment and do a college BTEC or A levels for 2 years and try for something after 2 years.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
I speak from experience as I am currently 16 as well. What I've found is that there is not a lot of options in terms of apprenticeships or other work on the railway for under 18s. So what I suggest which is exactly what I am doing is volunteer at your local heritage railway to gain experience of a railway environment and do a college BTEC or A levels for 2 years and try for something after 2 years.
Agreed.

There may also be work experience opportunities, I know of a forum member who had a good work experience recently at Virgin Trains at 16 for example.

All these things will look good on your CV and stand you in good stead. Too many youngsters apply for jobs at 18 (or after Uni) and just don't have enough experience to get the job they want.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
Be warned that with the amount of applications they get for customer facing roles , they generally only take on people who can show a large amount of experience in that area already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top