Malton Seadog
Member
- Joined
- 16 May 2010
- Messages
- 74
Hi all,
I hope you'll forgive some blatant plugging, but I thought this may be of interest to you. I wondered whether I should post it in Trip Reports, but that seemed UK based.
http://themusicologist.co.uk/germany-by-rail-day-1-hamburg-to-wurzburg/
I hope you'll forgive some blatant plugging, but I thought this may be of interest to you. I wondered whether I should post it in Trip Reports, but that seemed UK based.
http://themusicologist.co.uk/germany-by-rail-day-1-hamburg-to-wurzburg/
The rest will be updated at least daily, so keep checking back to find out where we went and how the rail journeys were!Germany by Rail Day 1: Hamburg to Würzburg
In May 2013, my dad and I spent a week travelling around Germany. We flew from Manchester to Hamburg on a Tuesday afternoon, which would be the only time we would set foot on an aeroplane for the next week or so.
The rest of the trip was to be done entirely by train. We would be relying on Deutsche Bahn (DB) to take us where we needed to go. This is the story of how we coped.
We arrived in Hamburg on a cloudy but warm afternoon. Our flight landed at around 17:30. Our destination that night was to be the Bavarian city of Würzburg, fully 300 miles to the south. To get there, we would be boarding a CityNightLine train at Hamburg Altona station bound for Vienna.
Our train was scheduled to depart at 20:20, so we had ample time to get from the airport to Altona station using Hamburgs S-Bahn system. As it turns out, there was a direct train, so we arrived at our departure station at about 18:30, leaving us almost two hours to wait for our train.
Despite saying that the train was a sleeper bound for Vienna, it has a standard coach hooked on to the back (which became the front for our journey)....