• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German and Austrian rail kilometreages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
I was planning on putting some of the journeys from my Interrail trip last summer into my new railmiles account (unfortunately I didn't log them properly as I later did - all I have is the Interrail sheet I filled out, which is obviously lacking U-Bahn and tram journeys). Is there a good source for kilometreages for Germany and Austria (I only need mainline/S-Bahn for now)? Free would be preferable but I don't mind buying an atlas/etc. if that's required.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Schweers & Wall publish some excellent Rail Atlases , but note that you will need the individual country ones to get the km detail as the general EU one does not go down to that level of detail.

For Germany there is a program called Trassenpreise which you can download here on the DB website (see the first download on the top right called TPS-Preisauskunft-Software 2015) but you will probably need a map of some sort to check that it is sending you via the route that you actually travelled on. A list of the German station codes is also useful and they can be found HERE
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,938
Location
Mold, Clwyd
There are some very interesting and detailed web pages on German and Austrian railways, with kilometrage and other details on a sidebar.

This one is for the Thuringian Railway (Bebra-Leipzig): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuringian_Railway
This one is in English but many of them are only in German, although the data is usually easy to work out.
The German versions often have more detailed information.

Here's one for the Austrian Nordbahn (KFNB): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahnstrecke_Wien–Břeclav
and the Westbahn (Kaiserin Elisabeth Westbahn): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_Western_Railway

You can follow the links from these sites onto adjacent railways.
Otherwise the Schweers+Wall atlases have all the info you need.
 
Last edited:

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Thanks all. The Austrian Westbahn Wikipedia page (English and German) seems to be missing some measurements (crucially where the new parts join back to the old parts). Grah.

I can't find anywhere selling Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland for a reasonable price. Hmm. I'll just use that application for Germany.
 
Last edited:

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Regarding the Eisenbahnn atlas, you could always try looking around to see if you get one of the older copies second hand somewhere; sure I have seen one in the "Emporium" on Loughborough Central station in the past.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
I've never found the S+W Atlas marked down, and stocks of the old edition seem low on a quick internet search - which also says that #9 is ready for delivery.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Hmm. So, my Eisenbahnatlas Österreich arrived, and I finally got a chance to look at Westbahn. Irritatingly, the kilometreage changes on Wikipedia (caused by the difference between the old route and the new route) appear to be missing. I don't quite see the point in printing kilometreages if you don't show the changes required to make them accurate. Ah well, it's still a nice map. I could try combining the data from Wikipedia and the atlas but I'm not convinced it'll be accurate. Ah well.
 

maxiboy

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2013
Messages
48
Location
Berlin, Germany
For German local rail services (S/RB/RE/IRE as well as most private railways), there's an application called Entfernungsrechner / PFFEB that can do those and knows all stations (including minor ones) in Germany. This is DB proprietary and has been originally released to their employees so they can determine the validity of the 50 km reduced rail staff travel ticket ("RegioTicket M 50").

An older version of PFFEB can be downloaded from http://www.sev-vpt-db.ch/infos-nuetzliches-adressen/index.php – more recent versions are not available publicly so you can only obtain them from DB directly.

The PFFEB has superseded the German official fares manual (Entfernungszeiger - Tfv 603) that lists journeys kilometres and permitted routes.

You can also use the online "Kursbuch" to look up DB kilometrages but it is very tedious.
 

maxiboy

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2013
Messages
48
Location
Berlin, Germany
As for intercity lines in Germany and Austria try the attached programme. It knows only the most popular fare flows but should be sufficient. Unlike Jizdenka it also displays alternative routes (for example Koeln-Frankfurt via Koblenz and Koeln-Frankfurt via High Speed Line) if such alternatives are laid down in the data.
 

Attachments

  • FareFinder11.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top