• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General thread for Middle East airspace closures and resulting flight moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,556
Location
Preston Lancs
Hope the mods dont mind but I thought a general thread was in order about the Middle East airspace/airports closure and resulting diversion flights.

So March 1st my wife and I were supposed to fly on QATAR routing KUL (Kuala Lumpur Malaysia) - DOH (Doha,Qatar) - MAN - 14 hours earlier I saw the breaking news. then I got an email saying airspace closed and flights cancelled. I searched all sorts of options as my wife wanted to get home. Eventually I booked flights on Saudia leaving KUL at 02.15 Monday March 1st. Connected in JED (Jeddah Saudi Arabia) and arrived home in Manchester around 11.30 am Greenwich Mean Time on Monday March 2nd.

Overall I thought we were lucky. Jeddah is of course on the west coast of the Saudi peninsula so more away from the trouble and the airspace was opened.

I am seeing some scary stories of people trapped and having to pay exorbitant fees to get home.

I would be interested to hear other stories.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2023
Messages
1,219
Location
WCML N
The other half's mum is stuck in Vietnam, after her flight via Abu Dhabi was obviously cancelled. She's heading back to France, and has been quoted €1700 for a AF flight via Singapore next Tuesday!
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,741
Location
Nottingham
Jeddah is of course on the west coast of the Saudi peninsula so more away from the trouble and the airspace was opened.
Jeddah has been rocketed by the Houthis on a couple of occasions, so not 100% safe (but probably nowhere is at present).
 

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
4,182
Jeddah has been rocketed by the Houthis on a couple of occasions, so not 100% safe (but probably nowhere is at present).
Although I find it unlikely that Jeddah would be targeted during Ramadan at least, it's quite close to Mecca and Jeddah Airport is the international gateway to Mecca.
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,652
A friend was stuck the other way. He was in the UK for 5 days, should have gone back to Dubai on Saturday. He was on a flight on Monday and is now back in Dubai.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,671
What are Emirates playing at? Closed then open then closed then cancelling all flights cos a drone nearly hit the terminal, then 45 minutes open again, more drones now shut again.

It seems to me they are playing fast and loose with safety to save face for the airlines here...

I'll be interested in what they make of it on captains speaking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top