• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election 2017: The Results and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
The pivotal moment for me came when May 'explained' why she wouldn't take part in the TV debate. She revealed she thought debate was 'a waste of time'. What a democrat!

She is probably the most arrogant politician I can think of - amongst strong competition. Her arrogance in thinking that she could walk this election, her arrogance towards the voters (this is ongoing) and her arrogance towards the country as a whole.

I'll go one stage further - I cannot recall or think of a worse PM than Theresa May. I've certainly gone back through the 20th Century here and I can find at least some redeeming feature of every other PM. Mrs May fails completely.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Expert on BBC said May is heading into dangerous territory by working with DUP as instead of Westminster being a mediator between two opposing sides they will be seen as favouring one side. He said worse case scenario is NI is set back 20 years. He also claimed John Major ruled out trying to get support from the DUP as he understood the consequences while May is ignorant towards them.
 

Billy A

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2017
Messages
171
Pro brexit: Old people Anti brexit: Young people
Conservative: Old people Labour: Young people

So in 4 or 8 years Labour will will the elections.

Ah, but people get older and then turn more right wing! The young Labour supporters of today are the old fogies of tomorrow. Why? If you're young you want things supplied to you. As you get older you realise that your taxes are paying for all these free things.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
Expert on BBC said May is heading into dangerous territory by working with DUP as instead of Westminster being a mediator between two opposing sides they will be seen as favouring one side. He said worse case scenario is NI is set back 20 years. He also claimed John Major ruled out trying to get support from the DUP as he understood the consequences while May is ignorant towards them.

I agree jcollins (my wife's Northern Irish and also agrees).
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Expert on BBC said May is heading into dangerous territory by working with DUP as instead of Westminster being a mediator between two opposing sides they will be seen as favouring one side. He said worse case scenario is NI is set back 20 years. He also claimed John Major ruled out trying to get support from the DUP as he understood the consequences while May is ignorant towards them.


We already have a situation where the power-sharing administration is 'suspended' temporarily, with no prospect of a resumption. Combine this with a Brexit requiring border checks (at the very least) and all the gains in the quality of life in N.I. are put at risk to satisfy the egomania of a rather dull vicar's daughter!
 

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Once the dust has settled down, perhaps we could get back to the real reason why Theresa May called an election.

Forget about Brexit, warding off Scottish nationalism, imposing austerity measures that were not caused by the electorate, etc. The real reason was to divert attention away from allegations of electoral fraud by some Conservative MPs during the 2015 election campaign.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,944
Location
Devon
We already have a situation where the power-sharing administration is 'suspended' temporarily, with no prospect of a resumption. Combine this with a Brexit requiring border checks (at the very least) and all the gains in the quality of life in N.I. are put at risk to satisfy the egomania of a rather dull vicar's daughter!

A vicars daughter standing next to a wasps nest wondering what harm it could do to introduce a stick to the situation.
 
Last edited:

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
Pro brexit: Old people Anti brexit: Young people
Conservative: Old people Labour: Young people

So in 4 or 8 years Labour will will the elections.

I'm almost 30, I voted for Brexit and is also a UKIP supporter. As with any of my mates they also voted to leave and some are UKIP supporters, others are Tory supporters and two are SDP supporters. As I've mentioned a few pages back that a Brazilian mate of mine is also a UKIP supporter and she is planning on standing in 2022.

I very much doubt that Labour will win again as my nephew and some of his mates are Brexiteer's and are also Tory and UKIP supporters since my nephew cannot stand the Labour education he has had rammed down his throat for the past 15 years by a bunch of Guardian reading, self serving, unionised, anti social socialist and racist scum that are Labour supporters that have contaminated the education system from the top down ( most of that is his words not mine).

My other nephew who is also a Brexiteer thinks the same but also includes that those who go to uni should be banned from drinking, smoking and taking part in mass childish tantrums called demonstrations which promote far left wing Marxist ideology which should be consigned to the dusbin as the ungrateful 'and I was like' bunch who cannot speak without uttering the robotic four word phrase should be studying not acting somewhat as Neanderthals in the 21st Century.

So there is hope yet for both the Conservatives as well as UKIP.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
cannot stand the Labour education he has had rammed down his throat for the past 15 years by a bunch of Guardian reading, self serving, unionised, anti social socialist and racist scum that are Labour supporters that have contaminated the education system from the top down ( most of that is his words not mine).

And this is from a UKIP supporter?
 

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I'm almost 30, I voted for Brexit and is also a UKIP supporter. As with any of my mates they also voted to leave and some are UKIP supporters, others are Tory supporters and two are SDP supporters. As I've mentioned a few pages back that a Brazilian mate of mine is also a UKIP supporter and she is planning on standing in 2022.

I very much doubt that Labour will win again as my nephew and some of his mates are Brexiteer's and are also Tory and UKIP supporters since my nephew cannot stand the Labour education he has had rammed down his throat for the past 15 years by a bunch of Guardian reading, self serving, unionised, anti social socialist and racist scum that are Labour supporters that have contaminated the education system from the top down ( most of that is his words not mine).

My other nephew who is also a Brexiteer thinks the same but also includes that those who go to uni should be banned from drinking, smoking and taking part in mass childish tantrums called demonstrations which promote far left wing Marxist ideology which should be consigned to the dusbin as the ungrateful 'and I was like' bunch who cannot speak without uttering the robotic four word phrase should be studying not acting somewhat as Neanderthals in the 21st Century.

So there is hope yet for both the Conservatives as well as UKIP.

I needed a laugh, thanks. :lol:

Incidentally, what is the safest seat in the country now? I presume it's a toss-up between Islington North, Walthamstow, Liverpool Walton and Bristol West?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Ah, but people get older and then turn more right wing! The young Labour supporters of today are the old fogies of tomorrow. Why? If you're young you want things supplied to you. As you get older you realise that your taxes are paying for all these free things.

Pull the other one! You try suggesting reducing the entitlements of pensioners and older people and they'll start screeching about how 'they paid for that!' and other such nonsense. The old are just as keen to take as much as they can as the young are.

Indeed the figures are rather illustrative as to who has been quids in during the recent austerity and who has been squeezed until the pips squeak...
 

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,515
I agree jcollins (my wife's Northern Irish and also agrees).

Ive got many friends from NI of both republican and unionist persuasions either still there or living on the mainland and they are all somewhat worried too about the prospect of the fragile stability being disrupted .

Lets face it democracy is already at a standstill over there at the moment after the power sharing agreement collapsed earlier this year . It is in times like this that paramilitary groups will start upping the ante .

I pray this coalition collapses before the DUP and the paramilitary groups they are often linked to get the chance to go upsetting the fragile balance getting excited thinking they run NI now because of their influence in Westminster .

Lets face it if we see an end to the ceasefire in NI again this will eclipse brexit and the negotiations .
 

w0033944

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2011
Messages
555
Location
Norfolk
My other nephew who is also a Brexiteer thinks the same but also includes that those who go to uni should be banned from drinking, smoking and taking part in mass childish tantrums called demonstrations which promote far left wing Marxist ideology which should be consigned to the dusbin as the ungrateful 'and I was like' bunch who cannot speak without uttering the robotic four word phrase should be studying not acting somewhat as Neanderthals in the 21st Century.

So there is hope yet for both the Conservatives as well as UKIP.

Speaking purely regarding my alma mater, I wonder what sort of housing the developers are going to propose for the former Earlham Golf Course.:roll::lol:
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I think it's fair to say nobody really won this election.
Conservative - Teresa May only has herself to blame, somehow I doubt she will be soming out with her "strong and stable" phrase much in the future.
Labour - Did much better than predicted, but still got more than 60 less seats than the Tories. Corbyn reckons they are the winner though - really!?
SNP - Lost over a third of its seats, Salmond gone.
UKIP - Nuttall has resigned.
Lib Dem - Nick Clegg voted out.

What all this shows is we have a divided Britain. I can't see May taking the Tories into the next election, whenever that may be.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,165
Location
Elginshire
I'm almost 30, I voted for Brexit and is also a UKIP supporter. As with any of my mates they also voted to leave and some are UKIP supporters, others are Tory supporters and two are SDP supporters. As I've mentioned a few pages back that a Brazilian mate of mine is also a UKIP supporter and she is planning on standing in 2022.

I very much doubt that Labour will win again as my nephew and some of his mates are Brexiteer's and are also Tory and UKIP supporters since my nephew cannot stand the Labour education he has had rammed down his throat for the past 15 years by a bunch of Guardian reading, self serving, unionised, anti social socialist and racist scum that are Labour supporters that have contaminated the education system from the top down ( most of that is his words not mine).

My other nephew who is also a Brexiteer thinks the same but also includes that those who go to uni should be banned from drinking, smoking and taking part in mass childish tantrums called demonstrations which promote far left wing Marxist ideology which should be consigned to the dusbin as the ungrateful 'and I was like' bunch who cannot speak without uttering the robotic four word phrase should be studying not acting somewhat as Neanderthals in the 21st Century.

So there is hope yet for both the Conservatives as well as UKIP.

I'm guessing that your other nephew would probably have your Brazilian mate deported fairly swiftly, as well as having a sizable proportion of the population locked up for breaching the fun laws.

I know whose behaviour I would consider to be "Neanderthal".
 

w0033944

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2011
Messages
555
Location
Norfolk
I'm guessing that your other nephew would probably have your Brazilian mate deported fairly swiftly, as well as having a sizable proportion of the population locked up for breaching the fun laws.



Why has this old Blackadder image sprung to my mind?
cpacsex2.jpg
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
And, at the same time, all of the above bar the Kippers will be happy with the result to some degree. Or at least claim to be.

Conservatives win the election technically, and are still in power (for now, but still in power).
Labour performed much better than expected, and Jeremy Corbyn's resignation won't be coming any time soon.
SNP remain the largest party in Scotland by some considerable margin.
Lib Dems extend the number of seats and regain some key constituencies.

They all kind of have something to celebrate, as well as commiserate.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Ah, but people get older and then turn more right wing! The young Labour supporters of today are the old fogies of tomorrow. Why? If you're young you want things supplied to you. As you get older you realise that your taxes are paying for all these free things.

I'm not sure I agree with that I'm afraid.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
We finally have a Kensington result.

Kensington:

Labour gain
with a majority of 20

So, here are the final totals:

FINAL TOTALS:

Conservatives 318
Labour 262
SNP 35
Liberal Democrat 12
Democratic Unionist Party 10
Sinn Féin 7
Plaid Cymru 4
Green 1
Independent 1
UK Independence Party 0
Ulster Unionist Party 0
Social Democratic and Labour Party 0
Alliance Party of Northern Ireland 0
Others 0


Conservative total includes Speaker of the House.

Thanks to all who participated on this thread on the night. :smile:
 

w0033944

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2011
Messages
555
Location
Norfolk
We finally have a Kensington result.

Kensington:

Labour gain
with a majority of 20

So, here are the final totals:

FINAL TOTALS:

Conservatives 318
Labour 262
SNP 35
Liberal Democrat 12
Democratic Unionist Party 10
Sinn Féin 7
Plaid Cymru 4
Green 1
Independent 1
UK Independence Party 0
Ulster Unionist Party 0
Social Democratic and Labour Party 0
Alliance Party of Northern Ireland 0
Others 0


Conservative total includes Speaker of the House.

Thanks to all who participated on this thread on the night. :smile:

Just a caveat, I read on the Guardian site that the Tory candidate in Kensington & Chelsea said that the fight will be resumed tomorrow; whether this means yet another recount or legal action I don't know.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
Just a caveat, I read on the Guardian site that the Tory candidate in Kensington & Chelsea said that the fight will be resumed tomorrow; whether this means yet another recount or legal action I don't know.

The count was earlier today.
 

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,515
I think it's fair to say nobody really won this election.
Conservative - Teresa May only has herself to blame, somehow I doubt she will be soming out with her "strong and stable" phrase much in the future.
Labour - Did much better than predicted, but still got more than 60 less seats than the Tories. Corbyn reckons they are the winner though - really!?
SNP - Lost over a third of its seats, Salmond gone.
UKIP - Nuttall has resigned.
Lib Dem - Nick Clegg voted out.

What all this shows is we have a divided Britain. I can't see May taking the Tories into the next election, whenever that may be.

I think the reason for jubilation in the labour camp is that despite having only 6 weeks (5 if you count the 5 days lost due to terrorist attacks) to campaign and having all of the media against them as well as the doom and gloom polls at the start labour managed to grow their parliamentary standing by 29 seats . Which far exceeded what everyone thought would happen .

They denied Theresa May exactly what she wanted which in reality was their aim , i dont think anyone in the Labour party genuinely thought that Labour would come out of a snap election with a majority . They thought the Tories would have a savage landslide . So by denying her what she wanted which was more seats they have won against their own expectations .

Same reason I think that the Scottish conservatives have much to be happy about today .
 

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Nicest thing of Northern Ireland is that they voted 55,8 against 44,2 to remain in the EU. What was the view of the DUP on this subject?
 

w0033944

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2011
Messages
555
Location
Norfolk
This was earlier this evening, post third (fourth?) recount.

Here's the quote from 21:24 on their live coverage (emphasis mine):

Supporters of each of the candidates had made the way back to Kensington town hall for the count, although there were notably more backing Labour’s Emma Dent Coad. Outside, 30 or 40 Labour supporters had gathered and were loudly chanting “Tories Out”, while others brought drums.

Afterwards, Dent Coad greeted the crowd to deafening applause. “Kensington has spoken,” she said.

Each of the candidates thanked officials for working hard throughout last night and today, while the Tory candidate, Victoria Borwick, promised that the fight to regain the seat would start tomorrow.

EDIT: I might have mis-read her comment - maybe she meant something to the effect that "the fight for the next election is underway"
 
Last edited:

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,515
Ah, but people get older and then turn more right wing! The young Labour supporters of today are the old fogies of tomorrow. Why? If you're young you want things supplied to you. As you get older you realise that your taxes are paying for all these free things.
Hate to ruin your theory but

Im the exactly opposite . When I was young I came from a very poor background , went to a good university , got a good degree etc . I was quite conservative in my thinking in that I thought well if I can get into a good uni and get a good degree to enable me to get a good job against all odds anybody can do it and the rest of my thinking was the same . Want good housing , good healthcare , good education pay for it yourself .Minimum wage why should the government place a value on your labour , you want more money up skill

Now I am actually quite open to the idea of paying a bit extra tax so nurses can get a payrise and we can have more police on the streets . I see why a minimum wage is necessary and actually am a strong advocate to go beyond that and have the proper living wage as the minimum .

As ive got older ive realised that collective effort can achieve far superior results to individual effort . So things like fire service , ambulance service and police services are examples of how the whole of society pooling resources can achieve better results than us all having to contract our own providers to provide these services .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top