• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCSEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Good look to any members getting their results today. Do let us all know how you got on!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,046
Location
Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
The news is reporting that top GCSE grades have fallen for a second consecutive year, which suggests they are indeed becoming harder exams.

I remember when I did my GCSEs, because mine were the final year before the exam boards started making the exams harder. It's no real surprise why they've done it, as I and many others pretty much passed all of ours with good grades, with a minimal amount of revision, sometimes no revision at all. :lol:

Good luck to everyone getting theirs. I'm sure you've done well regardless. :D
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
I too found some of the exams pretty easy compared to what I was expecting when I did my GCSE's about 7 years ago.

My A levels on the other hand were pretty tough.
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
To be honest, though, I think it's important to remember that it really isn't that important how 'hard' the exams are in real terms, as they're either used for vague notions of aptitude by employers and some colleges, where specific grades aren't all that important, or in specific circumstances such as admissions where most people applying are from the same year-group, and so have been measured by the same yardstick anyway.

Obviously that doesn't account for the false confidence and complacency it can instill in some people going into A-Levels, but that's a different matter entirely...
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Just been to school and back... I'd say that the majority of us lot haven't done too badly, considering how as has been reported the exams and grade boundaries have been getting tougher. With several subjects I have found myself just one or two points away from the next grade. But, my grades have got me where I want to go, so I'm happy enough with what I've achieved. Thank you for your kind words.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Just thought I'd have a look to see if there was a results thread started, but I wasn't expecting one of the mods to have started it. :lol:

Got into school this morning and was really pleased with my results. Those of us with 10+ A*s had a picture taken outside the school hall (which will be in the Worcs news tomorrow :s). Particularly pleased with my full marks in DT.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Bar one C grade in my nemesis subject (Maths) and a B in the Sciences, I got all A and A* grades.

So I'm very happy with my results but for me the real winner is the fact that I will never have to sit through another Chemistry or Maths class. Absolutely loath the pair of them. Chemistry isn't hard, it just bores me to tears!

Looking forward to doing the subjects of my choosing come September.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Well done! I am particularly pleased you did Latin, an excellent foundation for so much.

I didn't realise anywhere did Latin now! Latin was a language when my mum was at school (a Catholic one), but by the time I went there 20 years later, it had been dropped and we did French and German.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Just thought I'd have a look to see if there was a results thread started, but I wasn't expecting one of the mods to have started it. :lol:

Got into school this morning and was really pleased with my results. Those of us with 10+ A*s had a picture taken outside the school hall (which will be in the Worcs news tomorrow :s). Particularly pleased with my full marks in DT.

Do I read it right that you have 16 A*'s? Seriously good stuff!
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Do I read it right that you have 16 A*'s? Seriously good stuff!
Unfortunately, I'm not that good! The grades in capitals are the overall qualification whilst the smaller letters represent parts of the GSCE, such as with French, units 1-4 represent Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening aspects. There are 9 A*s shown along with 2 others I got last year. If I'd taken a picture of the whole sheet you'd have thought I had 26 A*s, which might get you suspicious!
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Still, that is some seriously impressive results.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,293
Just got back and am very happy with my 5 A*s 4 As and 3 Bs
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Just found out via email that I've gained a merit in my Grade 5 Organ exam — I am very happy today. :shock: :D
 

pdq

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
901
Well done - from a fellow organist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Just got back and am very happy with my 5 A*s 4 As and 3 Bs

Didn't realise you were a GCSE student! Though, one can't really tell online, let alone in real life so much!

Oh, if anyone is interested or has any advice they would be willing to share with me, feel free to make conversation. As for my 'post-16' future, I will be continuing at my school with A-Level Further Maths, Physics and German. I am aspiring to become a Civil Engineer, specifically in the area of transport/railways; hence partially why I have joined these forums!

Thanks again and congratulations to all. It's sinking in after a good family meal :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do I read it right that you have 16 A*'s? Seriously good stuff!
Unfortunately, I'm not that good! The grades in capitals are the overall qualification whilst the smaller letters represent parts of the GSCE, such as with French, units 1-4 represent Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening aspects. There are 9 A*s shown along with 2 others I got last year. If I'd taken a picture of the whole sheet you'd have thought I had 26 A*s, which might get you suspicious!

Correct, but still, very impressive! Never had any idea you were a student either!
 

43074

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2012
Messages
2,253
Satisfied with my mix of 7 As and 3 Bs. I'm through to the next stage which is the important thing in my opinion.

Well done to all other forum members receiving grades today. And Class172, a very impressive performance there!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
Its a long time since I sat an exam, 10 years, and gotta say well done to those who have just done so
 

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Joined
17 Oct 2012
Messages
3,183
Location
Oxford
I should have said earlier - well done you lot. Don't get too cocky, though. Many more exams to go! ;)
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Didn't realise you were a GCSE student! Though, one can't really tell online, let alone in real life so much!

Oh, if anyone is interested or has any advice they would be willing to share with me, feel free to make conversation. As for my 'post-16' future, I will be continuing at my school with A-Level Further Maths, Physics and German. I am aspiring to become a Civil Engineer, specifically in the area of transport/railways; hence partially why I have joined these forums!

Thanks again and congratulations to all. It's sinking in after a good family meal :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Correct, but still, very impressive! Never had any idea you were a student either!

Are you doing maths and further maths, or just further maths on it's own? :| pretty sure that you can't get an a-level in further maths without one in maths!

Well done to everyone though, and an extra well done to those continuing in maths ;)
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Are you doing maths and further maths, or just further maths on it's own? :| pretty sure that you can't get an a-level in further maths without one in maths!

Well done to everyone though, and an extra well done to those continuing in maths ;)

I hardly bother to mention 'Core' Maths as people I talk to generally know what FM composes of, but yes, I am taking it, of course! 'Core' Maths in Y12 and Further Maths in Y13. Can't wait... :o
 
Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Are you doing maths and further maths, or just further maths on it's own? :| pretty sure that you can't get an a-level in further maths without one in maths!

It is possible to do Further Maths without 'Maths' (aka Applied Maths), given they are both standalone A Levels, but I've no idea why anyone would do that. Further Maths relies on a significant amount of Applied Maths knowledge.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You would have what I've chosen for A-levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. :p

It is an excellent decision to study purely science-based A Levels. For those who prefer essay-based subjects, History, English Literature and Languages are recommendable. Economics and Geography are also good preparation for certain degrees.

I would strongly advise prospective A Level students to avoid all other subjects at all costs. Unfortunately many state sixth forms and colleges do not. I picked four subjects, one of which was a terrible idea, another of which was acceptable but not ideal. Maths and Further Maths turned out to be my most enjoyable A Levels.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top