I was there on Saturday and I noticed that the timetable was slightly different to previous years. Presumably because there were TPO demonstrations and Mountsorrel services (yep, I enjoyed both!) there appeared a dearth of trains to Leicester North.
Which leads me onto something I've been thinking about for a while now. Quite understandably, the main focus in recent years has been on 'Bridging The Gap', but I really do think that it's about time the southern end of the line was given some love, more specifically double tracking and a second platform at Leicester North. Signalling could be colour light and controlled from Rothley - this would be totally in keeping with Leicester North's '1960s' theme.
The GCR has much to offer the enthusiast, as stated in another thread, but to the general public it's a short and (relatively) fast line with limited scenic appeal (apart from going across a reservoir). Double track throughout would enable the provision of 'fast' and 'stopping' services on all but off-peak timetables and occasions like the Model Event (where a 'metro'-style service is desirable), which I feel would give a much bigger 'bang for the buck' as far as the non-enthusiast punter is concerned.
Problems? Well, the track layout at the south end of Rothley will require the Orange Juice treatment ("Rip it up and start again") since the single line is slewed across the formation and I'm not sure where the rules and regs stand regarding trains regularly passing platforms at 25mph. The foot crossings on the southbound line at the intermediate stations could also be an issue.
Leicester North station has been open for nearly three decades now and Loughborough-Rothley has been double track for nearly two. Will the line ever be completed?