• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF - Trainee Train Driver - Peterborough Talent Pool (08/10/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestarter

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
555
We are currently looking to bolster our talent pool for the Peterborough area.

If you have passed the psychometric (full process) within the last 5 years this could be a great opportunity to register you're interest with us. So if that's you and you've always dreamed of being a Train Driver then why not apply?

As a Trainee Train Driver we would provide you with full training, consisting of:
  • 12 weeks classroom training (covering all the relevant rules, regulations, signalling, locomotive information)
  • At least 225 hours of 'handling' hours which means driving under the supervision of a mentor (including some simulator driving)
The classroom training will take place at our brand new Training school in Peterborough, and you would be expected to not take any annual leave for the duration of the classroom training to ensure you don't miss out on any vital elements of the training.

The classroom training can be intense and a lot to take in so it is essential you are comfortable with learning in a classroom setting.

The role of a train driver on freight, whilst a very popular career choice, comes with its challenges, from an unpredictable shift pattern, where you can be rostered to work any times and have limited visibility what you are going to be doing week by week, to working in all weathers outside, regardless of rain, snow or hailstorms!

As a train driver you will often be doing long, 12 hour shifts, most of it on your own, so you need to be comfortable in your own company.

Responsibilities​

In order to be considered for the opportunity, you need to:
  • Live within 60 minutes of our Doncaster depot.
  • Have passed the train driver psychometrics to the national standard in the last 5 years
  • Have no leave booked throughout early winter/spring 2023.

As a Trainee Train Driver you would earn £24,000 per annum. This is for the whole duration of training, which may take up to 12 months. Once you pass your final assessment and are allowed to drive trains on your own, your salary will increase to 80% full train driver rate, which will further increase to the full train driver rate after 6 months.


 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
We are currently looking to bolster our talent pool for the Peterborough area.

If you have passed the psychometric (full process) within the last 5 years this could be a great opportunity to register you're interest with us. So if that's you and you've always dreamed of being a Train Driver then why not apply?

As a Trainee Train Driver we would provide you with full training, consisting of:
  • 12 weeks classroom training (covering all the relevant rules, regulations, signalling, locomotive information)
  • At least 225 hours of 'handling' hours which means driving under the supervision of a mentor (including some simulator driving)
The classroom training will take place at our brand new Training school in Peterborough, and you would be expected to not take any annual leave for the duration of the classroom training to ensure you don't miss out on any vital elements of the training.

The classroom training can be intense and a lot to take in so it is essential you are comfortable with learning in a classroom setting.

The role of a train driver on freight, whilst a very popular career choice, comes with its challenges, from an unpredictable shift pattern, where you can be rostered to work any times and have limited visibility what you are going to be doing week by week, to working in all weathers outside, regardless of rain, snow or hailstorms!

As a train driver you will often be doing long, 12 hour shifts, most of it on your own, so you need to be comfortable in your own company.

Responsibilities​

In order to be considered for the opportunity, you need to:
  • Live within 60 minutes of our Doncaster depot.
  • Have passed the train driver psychometrics to the national standard in the last 5 years
  • Have no leave booked throughout early winter/spring 2023.

As a Trainee Train Driver you would earn £24,000 per annum. This is for the whole duration of training, which may take up to 12 months. Once you pass your final assessment and are allowed to drive trains on your own, your salary will increase to 80% full train driver rate, which will further increase to the full train driver rate after 6 months.


I was at their Peterborough open day. They told me that only 25% of their trainees ever pass out.
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
If they don’t get enough candidates that have already passed (or they feel you’re a better candidate), then they’ll put you through them. They put me through the MMI as I’d not completed it.
 

66701GBRF

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2017
Messages
913
I was at their Peterborough open day. They told me that only 25% of their trainees ever pass out.

That figure is not correct in the slightest. The vast majority of trainees pass out. Would look pretty bad on their selection process and training if there was a 75% failure rate.

Edit: or is that 25% never pass out?
 

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
That figure is not correct in the slightest. The vast majority of trainees pass out. Would look pretty bad on their selection process and training if there was a 75% failure rate.

Edit: or is that 25% never pass out?
The guy told me that for every 12 Trainees they have only 3 pass out as qualified, he went onto to say that this is why the prefer for trainees to start at a lower grade and work their way up instead
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
The guy told me that for every 12 Trainees they have only 3 pass out as qualified, he went onto to say that this is why the prefer for trainees to start at a lower grade and work their way up instead
That’s not the case at all. I’m at the training school at the moment. My instructor hasn’t had anyone fail yet. However, the course in front has lost one person, but that was in the second week due to not passing PTS.
 

66701GBRF

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2017
Messages
913
That’s not the case at all. I’m at the training school at the moment. My instructor hasn’t had anyone fail yet. However, the course in front has lost one person, but that was in the second week due to not passing PTS.

Indeed, it's rare to lose one person per course let alone the numbers apparently quoted on the open day.
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
Hm, well unfortunately GBRf vacancies posted on here don't get the sort of traction that all the other FOCS get
Obviously I’ve not been there long, but from I’ve experienced so far it’s all been positive. Yes you’ll work hard but you get paid well for it. They’ve got so much work they’re recruiting more drivers, they have TOC to FOC courses running. Before I came on the railway I worked for a company that some people had the same opinion on. I never had a problem at all, the only reason I left was for this role.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
That’s not the case at all. I’m at the training school at the moment. My instructor hasn’t had anyone fail yet. However, the course in front has lost one person, but that was in the second week due to not passing PTS.
Omg, how can someone not pass PTS?! I presume they had a second go and still failed?
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,664
You need a minimum 90% score to pass exams with GB, I was told he got 32% on his second attempt.
That must definitely have been someone putting little effort in. Even the worst drivers pass PTS. I don't know anyone failing that ever.
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
That must definitely have been someone putting little effort in. Even the worst drivers pass PTS. I don't know anyone failing that ever.
I believe (don’t quote me), they questioned if it was him who completed the psychometric tests in the first place.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
I believe (don’t quote me), they questioned if it was him who completed the psychometric tests in the first place.
Hmmm… seems fishy. To get that low a mark is very worrying indeed. But at least they are long gone and not behind the controls!
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
Do gbrf give you a car for the training if far away? I forgot to ask the man when I was there. I know that the other FOCs provide a car
They get you a train ticket to get you home. Some guys car share daily to the training school, if not the company pay for a taxi.
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
Ah shame. Wonder why they chose to cheap out on transportation.
Not really cheeping out, my train ticket is £150 return. The people who drive claim mileage to and from home, plus daily travel to the school. I’m not sure how and why other companies do it. Personally I’d rather sit on the train for 5 hours and use that time to revise. Especially sat in traffic on a Friday
 

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
Not really cheeping out, my train ticket is £150 return. The people who drive claim mileage to and from home, plus daily travel to the school. I’m not sure how and why other companies do it. Personally I’d rather sit on the train for 5 hours and use that time to revise. Especially sat in traffic on a Friday
Don't you have to carry a load of equipment with you?
 

Jinky_1967

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2022
Messages
7
Location
Fauldhouse
Morning folks, looking for some information if anyone can help me.

I was asked for dates for interview availability but haven't heard back since. I am eager for a date so I can fully focus on it but don't want to hassle HR. Was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and also if I should email HR or just try show more patience which is difficult I must admit lol.

Thanks folks.
 

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
Morning folks, looking for some information if anyone can help me.

I was asked for dates for interview availability but haven't heard back since. I am eager for a date so I can fully focus on it but don't want to hassle HR. Was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and also if I should email HR or just try show more patience which is difficult I must admit lol.

Thanks folks.
theyre one of the worse for communication, they will simply ignore your emails too.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
In my experience at GBRf, there is a couple of good hr people that get back to you quite quickly and with helpful info, but at least one that is quite direct and is pretty poor at getting back to you.. The latter defo is involved in some Driver recruitment
 

kipper

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2013
Messages
6
Location
glasgow
Morning folks, looking for some information if anyone can help me.

I was asked for dates for interview availability but haven't heard back since. I am eager for a date so I can fully focus on it but don't want to hassle HR. Was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and also if I should email HR or just try show more patience which is difficult I must admit lol.

Thanks folks.
In the same boat myself.
Not heard back since availability email more than a week ago.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top