• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express: There are now no ticket checks onboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pF

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
20
On-Train ticket checks have now vanished on-board the [Gatwick] Express.

Strangely, Gatwick Express are now recruiting for staff.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I agree that it's a different subject, but it is probably related to barriers being introduced and tickets no longer being sold on train.

It often seems to be the case that the introduction of barriers leads to a reduction in on train checks, though they need to continue in order to be effective against fare evaders.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
No, my point here is that the Gatwick Express staff on-board - if any - are no longer checking passengers' tickets as they used to do.

This is a different albeit related subject.

Ok :smile: I'd class it as the same subject, however its down to how different people interpret it, you can justify it; I can't say anything further!

TP
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Over the past month, I have only had my ticket checked once on a Southern service. I estimate that I have travelled on approximately 60 different train services.

It seems to be a theme...

Of course, I always purchase a valid ticket covering the whole of my journey before boarding. Doubtless many people don't have this attitude.
 
Joined
10 Oct 2011
Messages
136
On-Train ticket checks have now vanished on-board the [Gatwick] Express.

Strangely, Gatwick Express are now recruiting for staff.




The staff did get a bit relaxed about doing ticket checks in the last few weeks you could buy tickets on the train, at weekends at least, quite a few times no member of staff bothered to come through the train.
A bit odd that there is now no one on the Gatwick Express to enforce the non use of "Not Gatwick Express" (or Southern Only whatever they are called) tickets.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Over the past month, I have only had my ticket checked once on a Southern service. I estimate that I have travelled on approximately 60 different train services.

It seems to be a theme...

Of course, I always purchase a valid ticket covering the whole of my journey before boarding. Doubtless many people don't have this attitude.



[/I

My tickets were cheeked3 times between rye and arundel yesterday and both ways between Littlehampton and pompey today.
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
Ticket checks can vary on how busy the service is, how busy the guard is but occasionally i have seen the guard sitting in first class for most of the journey with a half empty train - they are common on East Coastway though.

With the Gatwick Express, its surprising as you could probably get through the barriers at Gatwick and Victoria and at Super Off-Peak times be able to use the GatEx if there isnt any checks, does seem silly.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Ticket checks can vary on how busy the service is, how busy the guard is but occasionally i have seen the guard sitting in first class for most of the journey with a half empty train - they are common on East Coastway though.

About half the journeys I make are off-peak and on such services it is rare for trains to have greater than 75% of their seats filled (although it does get crowded occasionally). Hardly "busy"!
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,894
There are manual barriers at Gatwick Airport,I'm currently working night shift at the Gatwick Parcelforce depot,every morning this week on my way home I've had my ticket checked on entry to the station.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
A bit odd that there is now no one on the Gatwick Express to enforce the non use of "Not Gatwick Express" (or Southern Only whatever they are called) tickets.
There's no point enforcing the non-use of Southern Only tickets, given that the service is operated by Southern, and all the forum members who have travelled on this service either had tickets accepted OR, if charged, were refunded in full by Southern Customer Relations.

The number of people who have to get their money back from Southern for being incorrectly charged will reduce when there's no-one who still thinks it's a separate company to check tickets (some of the things one or two inspectors said were quite bizarre e.g. "We've been express for 25 years" "The conditions of carriage do not apply" "We're a special service")

This video looks a bit silly now:

[youtube]_FJP8QgNbZ4[/youtube]
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
No it doesn't - it has proper trains in it. Not old tin cans with ancient motors. ;)
Bizarre (and way off topic), I've never heard of a plastic Juniper be described as a "proper train" before :o

The 442s have been downgraded since their (basic) 'refurb' and they've not been treated particularly well (not helped by being put into storage for so long while the DfT couldn't make its mind up) but the Mk3 coach is generally regarded as the best coach ever built. The interior may not be a particularly good example but there's nothing wrong with the trains, and they could look internally just like any other Mk3 if there was the money and willpower to do it.

The motors must be one of the most successful of its type ever built, they used to build things to last back then!

PS: the trains being different are one of the reasons why the video looks silly now, so I think you missed the point ;) though more substantial reasons include the lack of being able to buy on board (not that I am saying people should or shouldn't be able to), the claim that you can board 15 minutes before boarding (not on the extended Brightons you can't), the welcome hosts being got rid of, and various other changes. They'd have been better off admitting the service was being dramatically changed and that it was, overall, for the benefit of customers on the whole route.
 

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
Over the past month, I have only had my ticket checked once on a Southern service. I estimate that I have travelled on approximately 60 different train services.

It seems to be a theme...

Of course, I always purchase a valid ticket covering the whole of my journey before boarding. Doubtless many people don't have this attitude.

SWT are the same I'm afraid, never ticket checks on suburban services unless you're lucky enough to encounter a revenue staff member, late evening long distance services are 50/50 chance of tickets being checked from my experience.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Bizarre (and way off topic), I've never heard of a plastic Juniper be described as a "proper train" before :o

The 442s have been downgraded since their (basic) 'refurb' and they've not been treated particularly well (not helped by being put into storage for so long while the DfT couldn't make its mind up) but the Mk3 coach is generally regarded as the best coach ever built. The interior may not be a particularly good example but there's nothing wrong with the trains, and they could look internally just like any other Mk3 if there was the money and willpower to do it.

The motors must be one of the most successful of its type ever built, they used to build things to last back then!

PS: the trains being different are one of the reasons why the video looks silly now, so I think you missed the point ;) though more substantial reasons include the lack of being able to buy on board (not that I am saying people should or shouldn't be able to), the claim that you can board 15 minutes before boarding (not on the extended Brightons you can't), the welcome hosts being got rid of, and various other changes. They'd have been better off admitting the service was being dramatically changed and that it was, overall, for the benefit of customers on the whole route.

Don't worry, I didn't miss the point. I spotted all the other outdated bits on the video but I personally preferred the Junipers, and, unlike the 442s, I have never heard many complaints about the them. But anyway...
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Lots of people complained about the loud beeping sound on the 460s when the doors closed and when the doors were locked. Obviously the doors being mid carriage made that worse. The grey thing under the window meant you couldn't put your arm comfortably on the arm rest. And the aircon was deafening.

However, I'm not a great fan of the noisy underfloor sound in the 442s, although they aren't as bad as on the 319s. I won't sit in that coach on a 319.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top