• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport to London confusing ticket options

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxqueenies

Member
Joined
8 Sep 2010
Messages
20
I am hoping that you can help me - I am staying at Gatwick Airport for a few days next weekend and would like to visit London Saturday and Monday.

I normally have no problem with the NR website but it has got the better of me this time with confusing FCC only, Southern only combinations, and when I try and buy a ticket the Southern site is even more confusing with peak and off peak, and for some reason it keeps routing me to St Pancras or London stations I do not want.

What I ideally want is on Saturday 22/6 a fast train to London Bridge or Victoria leaving GTW at about 12 noon, returning early evening, Monday I am happy to wait till after morning rush, returning again early evening. I would be looking to travel (2 of us) first class, with a disabled railcard. A Zone 1-4 travelcard for the day in London would be a bonus, but happy to get when arriving if cheaper. Ideally I would prefer not to be fixed to single train times and carriers.

If anyone can give me some advise as to what is the best way to do this - ideally keeping flexibility for time of return and carrier that would be great. I got so confused I nearly gave up and booked the Gatwick Express (First class off peak return £19.80 but even their site would not tell me what time trains I can return on)!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,526
Location
Yorkshire
You're right, the fares between Gatwick & London are ridiculously confusing, and it is hard to get accurate information.

Perhaps this ticket will meet your needs:

http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=GTW&dest=0035&rlc=DIS&rte=777&ldn=0&tkt=OTF

Ticket type: Off Peak Travelcard 1st Class
Route: Southern Only (however you CAN still go to London Bridge on FCC - providing you take Southern to East Croydon & change trains there)
Price: £15.05 each with a Disabled Railcard
Validity: outward valid any train due to arrive London at or after 0950, and you can return on any train.

The Southern only restriction only applies as far as the Zone 6 boundary, within Zones 1-6 it is a Travelcard.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
There's somewhere in the vicinity of 70 fares between Gatwick Airport and London, so it is very confusing indeed.

I would point out that the Travelcard yorkie mentions is valid all day Saturday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top