• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport timetables now platform 5 & 6 open

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,634
Location
Northampton
Absolutely - CJ is universally recognised as a fundamental element of most services' patterns and to exclude Brighton is staggering.
I'm led to believe that running trains through CLJ non-stop was necessary to maintain capacity out of Victoria. Obviously with the adjustment of the rail industry to new travel patterns that total capacity may be less important than increasing connectivity from CLJ.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
This project was announced way back when as a new island for P 7 and 8, so it’s very relevant to how the project evolved. And how the escalator placement likely precludes it now.

Thanks - I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers some original announcements for upgrading Gatwick platforms included adding a platform 8; some earlier comments suggested I was misremembering. I remember a few years ago seeing what looked like the space for the new track.

Is there still more platform work to do in the current round of improvements (even without an extra platform)? If so, when will it be finished so that timetabling constraints caused by the work are over?
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,634
Location
Northampton
Thanks - I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers some original announcements for upgrading Gatwick platforms included adding a platform 8; some earlier comments suggested I was misremembering. I remember a few years ago seeing what looked like the space for the new track.
This has been discussed at length and so far nobody has been able to point to any source or announcement suggesting a Platform 8 was ever even thought of beyond a rather badly drawn line over google maps. EDIT: a 2015 NR report has been posted on the other thread with a platform 8 tentatively shown, but it also clearly states it wouldn't be needed until 2043 at the very earliest.
Is there still more platform work to do in the current round of improvements (even without an extra platform)? If so, when will it be finished so that timetabling constraints caused by the work are over?
AIUI they are rebuilding each island in turn. No idea about timescales.
 
Last edited:

dastocks

Member
Joined
3 Nov 2021
Messages
281
Location
Hove
This has been discussed at length and so far nobody has been able to point to any source or announcement suggesting a Platform 8 was ever even thought of beyond a rather badly drawn line over google maps. EDIT: a 2015 NR report has been posted on the other thread with a platform 8 tentatively shown, but it also clearly states it wouldn't be needed until 2043 at the very earliest.

AIUI they are rebuilding each island in turn. No idea about timescales.
The only change at platform level for platforms 3-4 is some new lifts and stairs at the north end of the island, and I think that work is done, although it might not be in use yet. Platforms 1-2 are completely unchanged. Platforms 1-4 will connect to the new southern concourse but that is using the existing escalators/lifts/stairs on those platforms.

The planning documents can be found here:
https://planningregister.crawley.gov.uk/Planning/Display/CR/2018/0273/FUL#SupportingDocumentsTab
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
The only change at platform level for platforms 3-4 is some new lifts and stairs at the north end of the island, and I think that work is done, although it might not be in use yet. Platforms 1-2 are completely unchanged. Platforms 1-4 will connect to the new southern concourse but that is using the existing escalators/lifts/stairs on those platforms.

The planning documents can be found here:
https://planningregister.crawley.gov.uk/Planning/Display/CR/2018/0273/FUL#SupportingDocumentsTab
Shame about 1&2, it does feel awful to only do part of the station and future proof it, then leave the lesser, stuck in the past.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
Shame about 1&2, it does feel awful to only do part of the station and future proof it, then leave the lesser, stuck in the past.
1 and 2 already has a pair of escalators at both ends and is a wide platform island. It also sees less footfall. What do you think is missing?
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
1 and 2 already has a pair of escalators at both ends and is a wide platform island. It also sees less footfall. What do you think is missing?
Too narrow in areas, all I think that could remedy it, is not fancy new stuff or widening, just removing the clutter of those buildings which occupy the vast majority of the width of the platform. It doesn’t help with station staff also demanding passengers standing behind the yellow line, yet there is no space behind it. Sure, there is plenty of space down the far ends, yet they are not exactly easy to reach either which then causes a buildup of people around the escalator landing area. Platform 1 is less affected but Platform 2 seems to be the worst of them two.
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,017
Location
here to eternity
This thread should be confined to discussion around the actual Platforms 5 and 6 at Gatwick.

Speculation re further works at the station can be found here:


 

thelem

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2008
Messages
550
Shame about 1&2, it does feel awful to only do part of the station and future proof it, then leave the lesser, stuck in the past.

The changes they've made mean that there is a lift and escalator up from each platform to the south concourse, and a left and escalator down to each platform from the north concourse. Therefore whichever concourse you use you can switch to any other platform. Previously it was impossible to get from platform 7 to platform 1/2 without going via the airport. I think they were originally going to rebuild more of the southern concourse, but that got revised to saved money. The new bit they've built over platform 5/6/7 is more spacious, but they haven't bothered rebuilding the reasonably adequate space above 1-4. The changes also include direct access to the car park - previously you had to go via the terminal.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Platform 5 and 6 and the states leasing to the footbridge at the London end of the station

Not the best photo as I didn't have much time but this is platforms 5 & 6 and yes I used the stairs as it enabled me to reach platforms 1 & 2 in a more timely manner.

I'd rather make the train than wait for the official connection.

This was taken at the London end of the station. The up end if you like.

The train on platform 5 was a Gatwick Express, which I had boarded at Haywards Heath at 13:26. Photo taken last Tuesday, 24 January.
 

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2019
Messages
8,044
Location
Surrey
I'm led to believe that running trains through CLJ non-stop was necessary to maintain capacity out of Victoria. Obviously with the adjustment of the rail industry to new travel patterns that total capacity may be less important than increasing connectivity from CLJ.
driving revenue should be the industries only priority now
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
I went to Gatwick Airport Station today and did go to Platforms 5&6, but the whole way to get there is not great considering majority of passengers probably will have suitcases, coming from Platform 3 to get one island over, requires you to go to Platforms 1&2 and then go to 5&6. I can only hope the change between platforms will be easier. 5&6 are alright, the PIS screens are good, plenty of information supplied, one escalator to get down there now from ticket hall, hopefully will be better when works are fully complete.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I went to Gatwick Airport Station today and did go to Platforms 5&6, but the whole way to get there is not great considering majority of passengers probably will have suitcases, coming from Platform 3 to get one island over, requires you to go to Platforms 1&2 and then go to 5&6. I can only hope the change between platforms will be easier. 5&6 are alright, the PIS screens are good, plenty of information supplied, one escalator to get down there now from ticket hall, hopefully will be better when works are fully complete.
Personally I just follow the signs to platform 7 and ignore the no exit signs.
 

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
I was at Gatwick Airport station a few weeks ago and I noticed an unbarriered exit at Platform 7. Has this always been there or is it a temporary exit to facilitate the upgrade works?
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I was at Gatwick Airport station a few weeks ago and I noticed an unbarriered exit at Platform 7. Has this always been there or is it a temporary exit to facilitate the upgrade works?
It's a new exit. When you come from the other direction, as I did once, it says no entry. I couldn't be bothered to walk round and having a ticket I just used it.

I think it is faster when coming off a rail replacement bus.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I notices today [Sunday] that there are no signs on platforms 3 and 4 on how to reach platforms 5 and 6.

I think someone must have forgotten to put them up.

I went up the exit on platforms 3 and 4 and found I couldn't get to platforms 5 and 6.

So I rushed down the stairs and up the other side and down to platforms 5 and 6. Fortunately, I train I was intended to get was running late so I didn't miss it.

As I had time I investigated the issue. There are two escalators on platforms 5 and 6. Both of these are set to be up only.

The Stairs are still under construction. Gatwick Airport has form on multiple escalators being up only. For a time the escalator to platforms 1 and 2 were up only. I was told the manager wanted it this way.

That is no longer the case at least. Perhaps a new station manager came in with new ideas. I have no actual idea.

Here are some photos that were taken today. The first one is of the stairs and the second of the lift is still being built. The third one is of the notice on platforms 3 and 4, not listing platforms 5 and 6. The other route off the platforms says platform 7 only and no exit to the airport.
 

Attachments

  • 20230312_181835.jpg
    20230312_181835.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230312_181840.jpg
    20230312_181840.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230312_181941.jpg
    20230312_181941.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top