WizCastro197
Established Member
Hello
I visited Gatwick Airport today as I was required to change there for a train to Hove. When I was awaiting my delayed train as expected, Platform 4 was extremely busy. Passengers were screamed at to stand behind the Yellow line despite the horrendous narrowness of the platforms and the immense amount of passengers.GTW staff shouting at passengers that there was a train approaching even though it stopped some distance outside Gatwick behind a red signal. When Trains finally did approach they were told not to board which is very counter productive as are large influx of passengers is just going to keep coming and coming if you dont tell people to get on when the next one to Victoria is in 10 Minutes.
Victoria Services are often the large offenders in the capacity issue as not many people seem to be bothered about Thameslinks perhaps due to current disruption that is sort of ending I suppose or they all want Victoria and Clapham? Today I was on a 4 car Brighton-Victoria and as expected zoomed past standing room at Gatwick. One lady started to cry as the station staff member told people to step away from the train as it was now going to depart as her shoe was on the small ledge that helps people with the large gap. Thankfully Id already left the train at Gatwick
But I do think another issue is the GatEx as it attracts such a small amount of passengers due to its overpricing if it was heavily reduced, then more people could use it directing people away from southern creating more room on those train for people who need it. But its so overpriced and the only way forward is Southern. A station Platform staff member told people to Board a GatEx despite no ticket acceptance basically setting people up for penalty fare. But I do think GatEx should be partially abolished in return for cheaper fares.
Those who did board the Thameslinks, Do confuse me somehow, why would you board busy services when the 15 minute slower Redhill Line service is going to London as well? Maybe some would actually need to travel on a particular service say those who needed to travel somewhere near Cambridge but those for the Thameslink Core should be directed towards Slightly slower Bedford services of Peterborough ones when they run on weekdays and Saturday.
Side note: I know Gatwick is undergoing some needed work to improve passenger experiences but I do wish they'd just demolish the lot and start again rather than build off of customer unfriendly infrastructure. Especially those travelling with large suitcases, The Platforms are extremely narrow and many people do change at GTW especially those on the Redhill line who change for South Coasterly Services. No work is being done to Platform 2 and I think 3 and 4 which can get busy and it disappointing just to save money. I know that would be immensely immensely expensive and place millions under travel disruption as it would have little parts of the station open like it is currently but it would be useful in the long run as its dingy overcrowded and narrow.
I have no idea how to remedy the situation but it seems to be getting a lot worse since when I changed there in March and its completely unusable for those travelling with suitcases coming on or off planes as its to busy to fit a suitcase on the train.
I visited Gatwick Airport today as I was required to change there for a train to Hove. When I was awaiting my delayed train as expected, Platform 4 was extremely busy. Passengers were screamed at to stand behind the Yellow line despite the horrendous narrowness of the platforms and the immense amount of passengers.GTW staff shouting at passengers that there was a train approaching even though it stopped some distance outside Gatwick behind a red signal. When Trains finally did approach they were told not to board which is very counter productive as are large influx of passengers is just going to keep coming and coming if you dont tell people to get on when the next one to Victoria is in 10 Minutes.
Victoria Services are often the large offenders in the capacity issue as not many people seem to be bothered about Thameslinks perhaps due to current disruption that is sort of ending I suppose or they all want Victoria and Clapham? Today I was on a 4 car Brighton-Victoria and as expected zoomed past standing room at Gatwick. One lady started to cry as the station staff member told people to step away from the train as it was now going to depart as her shoe was on the small ledge that helps people with the large gap. Thankfully Id already left the train at Gatwick
But I do think another issue is the GatEx as it attracts such a small amount of passengers due to its overpricing if it was heavily reduced, then more people could use it directing people away from southern creating more room on those train for people who need it. But its so overpriced and the only way forward is Southern. A station Platform staff member told people to Board a GatEx despite no ticket acceptance basically setting people up for penalty fare. But I do think GatEx should be partially abolished in return for cheaper fares.
Those who did board the Thameslinks, Do confuse me somehow, why would you board busy services when the 15 minute slower Redhill Line service is going to London as well? Maybe some would actually need to travel on a particular service say those who needed to travel somewhere near Cambridge but those for the Thameslink Core should be directed towards Slightly slower Bedford services of Peterborough ones when they run on weekdays and Saturday.
Side note: I know Gatwick is undergoing some needed work to improve passenger experiences but I do wish they'd just demolish the lot and start again rather than build off of customer unfriendly infrastructure. Especially those travelling with large suitcases, The Platforms are extremely narrow and many people do change at GTW especially those on the Redhill line who change for South Coasterly Services. No work is being done to Platform 2 and I think 3 and 4 which can get busy and it disappointing just to save money. I know that would be immensely immensely expensive and place millions under travel disruption as it would have little parts of the station open like it is currently but it would be useful in the long run as its dingy overcrowded and narrow.
I have no idea how to remedy the situation but it seems to be getting a lot worse since when I changed there in March and its completely unusable for those travelling with suitcases coming on or off planes as its to busy to fit a suitcase on the train.
Last edited: