• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gathursty's Short June Hops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
Visiting Cambridge North

I decided on a quick drive by night exploration of Cambridge as a precursor to my upcoming trip to remote Scotland in a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of long-distance driving and bagging station 2563 (using All The Stations counter).

The evening began with a drive through Aspull to the M61/M60 to Oldham, through Lees and taking the A635 all the way to the A1(M) near Doncaster. The twilight sky was a lovely setting as I drove over the tops of the moors bisecting Oldham and Holmfirth picking up pace on this straight section. The moors gave way to the long descent into a Saturday night in Holmfirth, with the streets and people looking very resplendent.

I led a convoy of cars from Holmfirth upto Denby Dale before the crossroads split us all off. The full moon silhoutted the viaduct for the Penistone line which would probably be awaiting it's last usage for this evening.

An unexpectedly twisty section of road led me to the edge of Barnsley. I drove around the north side gingerly as the road signs are a bit unclear. Also the very steep approach to the town centre isn't amenable to my car. Barnsley's subrbs began to thin out as Dearne Valley villages came into view.

Some roundabouts later, I reached a disappointment. The A1 had '50' signs for animals in the road that were not there. A second disappointment was overnight roadworks encouraging southbound drivers to take the M1 and an extra 50 miles on to the journey. I began to regret my decision to not take the M6. However the motorway was a great run all the way down to Catthorpe interchange which looks 80% complete and very impressive.

I take the A14 and am surprised at the flow of traffic towards the east of the country at this time of night. Kettering seems to entice speeding drivers, at least on this section of dual-carriageway.

The approach to Cambridge slows to 40mph due to roadworks. There is a light mist in the area. I reach Cambridge North 3.5 hours after I set off which I think is good timing for the route.

I'm impressed by the wall design inspired by the great mathematician John Horton Conway and take some time to walk around this empty station apart from many cars still in the car park.

I drive home via Peterborough services on the M1 where I pick up a latte and decide upon a cross-country route through South Witham, Melton Mowbray, and Derby to join the M6 for the traditional route from London to the North West of England.

I reach the gorgeous Derwent Valley and Belper at about 5am and decide to take a closer look and a bit of a catnap at Cromford station based on Geoff and Vicki's (All The Stations) re-imaging of the Oasis album cover. Cromford is most charming and has a guest house on the disused platform.

At Cromford, I wonder if the village of Crich, high above the Derwent, would permit easy access to their heritage tram network. A 20 minute climb up the valley led me to a fence through which I take in a view that's little changed in many years. It appears that Tramway World is an enclosed section of Crich and not integrated into the whole village as I imagined. Still, this place would be worth a return visit.

I drop back to the A6 and stop at Matlock station because I forget what it looked like. Many birds were calling within the station, some of which I disturbed as I had a good look around.

I continue through the Peak District in the morning sun with no other cars until a solitary lorry passes me just outside of Buxton. I opt to stop at Chapel-en-le-Frith and seem to snooze for 40 minutes waking up to the people who put the timetable posters up at stations packing up and ready to leave. I also leave shortly afterwards.

The A6 is breached by roadworks forcing Manchester bound users to deviate through New Mills, Strines and Marple. I rejoin the A6 south of Levenshulme and turn off it again for a McDonalds breakfast.

I make my pilgrimage to Ardwick station. I haven't been here in a while. There is work on the wall above turning the imposing walk into a partly darkened tunnel adding further to the reluctance for people to use this station, except for inquisitive persons and spotters.

I arrive home 40 minutes later to a very sunny Wigan.

Travelling along the once-daily (M-Sat) Parkside Junction West chord

Today I take the only route out of Wigan I have never done - the 0644 to Liverpool Lime Street via Newton-le-Willows.

The train is a 150+142 combination and I arrive to see a fellow passenger - a man and his pushbike. We join for the fast hop to Golborne and sluggish right turn through Parkside Junction. I am pleased to tick this niggling bit of track off so close to home. I wonder if Lord Techniquest and other forum members have turned up bleary eyed or bright eyed and bushy tailed for this curve.

The rest of the morning's outward journey adds single-digit passengers at every station until I depart at Whiston. I knew I'd have a bit of a wait at Huyton so I thought I'd use the 20 minute walk to Prescot to be a bit productive. I arrive with ten minutes for my return journey to Wigan which is uneventful bar from my dismay at Bryn - the odd one out on this line which is run by TfGM (not Merseytravel) and is looked after by sod all in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
That was a nice descriptive read Gathursty. I've had that feeling of being turfed off a motorway in the middle of the night, most recently coming back from Leeds on the M1 and having to sit in an enormous traffic jam for two hours while everyone tried to drive through some town somewhere or other.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
I have to compliment you on one thing good Sir, that being the excillent example you set to drivers that if your tired you iether stop for a coffee or pull over for a snooz, not enough foalk know this.

Interesting little night/morning out there, thanks.
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I have to compliment you on one thing good Sir, that being the excillent example you set to drivers that if your tired you iether stop for a coffee or pull over for a snooz, not enough foalk know this.

Interesting little night/morning out there, thanks.

I also have to make sure I park on flat ground or reversed up against a wall or fence as I have this wierd thought that my handbrake will fall off if I sleep and I'll roll somewhere. :lol:
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Sounded like a good little drive to visit the newest station in GB :)

And well done on getting that PSUL move in, I believe it was a solo 156 when I did a couple years ago, staying overnight in Wigan Premier Inn on a Lancashire Rover. I've since done it the other way on a couple railtours. I'm surprised it hasn't gone over to 319 operated yet (unless the units form an Oxford Road stopper)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
A nice drive and some of it on roads I'm familiar with (the A14) from a Megabus journey years back. I still need Cambridge North which is irritating!

As for that curve at Wigan, it was in the plan for the recent ALR but that was taken out and I still need it. I would have got it before now, but the evening service that used to do it no longer does frustratingly.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
A nice drive and some of it on roads I'm familiar with (the A14) from a Megabus journey years back. I still need Cambridge North which is irritating!

As for that curve at Wigan, it was in the plan for the recent ALR but that was taken out and I still need it. I would have got it before now, but the evening service that used to do it no longer does frustratingly.

Another excuse to do that railtour in October ;) Saves staying overnight in Wigan to do it early morning :)
 

37078xotTE

Established Member
Joined
29 Feb 2012
Messages
2,840
Does anybody have a copy of the list of the 2,563 (or know where I can get one as my current list only shows 2,534!!!

Thanks.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,847
Location
West of Andover
Does anybody have a copy of the list of the 2,563 (or know where I can get one as my current list only shows 2,534!!!

Thanks.

I used the estimated station usage figures from the ORR, adding on the various stations which has opened in the past year. PM me if you want me to email you over a blank sheet with all the stations listed :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top