• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gangwayed units (was 156)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLE

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,421
I’ve been on a 153 when it happened in the driving cab as the unit was just coasting along.

Nice welcome draft on a hot day!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow

As Domh245 says they are not for passing between vehicles they are for emergency evacuation purposes. I think they are needed for operation in tunnels with limited clearance where you can't ecacyate out the passenger doors, the 313s, 314s and 315s have this arrangement as well.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,852
As Domh245 says they are not for passing between vehicles they are for emergency evacuation purposes. I think they are needed for operation in tunnels with limited clearance where you can't ecacyate out the passenger doors, the 313s, 314s and 315s have this arrangement as well.
The end doors on the 319s were specifically required for the Farringdon - Moorgate section. As this section has now closed, the 700s don't need the end doors.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow
The end doors on the 319s were specifically required for the Farringdon - Moorgate section. As this section has now closed, the 700s don't need the end doors.

I didn't really think about the 700s not having them but that makes sense.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
I'm going off photos and descriptions by other people regarding the 153s it did look at bit tight to me but could easily be down to the angle the photo was taken. I have been in a 156 cab though, it's a bit of a squish for your legs under the desk.

Very much a squish, and i've only got little legs. Worse still, I always end up scuffing the polish on my bulled up boots!
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow
Very much a squish, and i've only got little legs. Worse still, I always end up scuffing the polish on my bulled up boots!

I can well imagine, I like 156s but being 6 foot 3 I'm quite glad I don't drive them for a few hours! ;)
 

DanTrain

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2017
Messages
753
Location
Sheffield
It's worth noting that the 717 however does have an exit "door", although it's not all that obvious.
There’s a great video somewhere of the steps folding down automatically on a 717. I’m not sure what anyone in a wheelchair is supposed to do, I guess they can be carried though.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,320
Location
Glasgow
There’s a great video somewhere of the steps folding down automatically on a 717. I’m not sure what anyone in a wheelchair is supposed to do, I guess they can be carried though.

I'm not sure you could actually get a wheelchair out of the gap to be honest.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
Even if you could get a wheelchair down the ramp you'd be lucky to be able to roll it down the fourfoot and over the various obstructions to be found there. In the event of evacuation it's likely that (depending on circumstances) wheelchair users would be assisted by others or might have to remain on the train until help arrived.
 

whhistle

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
2,636
Why do bimodes "not count"? They can run on diesel and are replacing diesel trains. Not getting what your point is - probably because you are just randomly making stuff up to try to support it.
They're hybrid, so not fully diesel.
The wires going up enable the bi-modes to run part electric, so diesel only trains were never going to be ordered for that route.
You can't compare a train that is half diesel half electric when talking about the lack of diesel trains that have been ordered.

The fact still remains - there's a shortage of "pure" diesel units, because nobody ordered any.
Compare the past 10 years on how many electric units have been introduced compared with diesel.

So... there's no "making it up to support 'it'" <-- whatever "it" is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top