• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Trains and Services to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2006
Messages
874
Location
Hinckley
As there's no relevant thread - I couldn't find one anyway, if I've missed it please disregard this one.

What future services and rolling stock are people looking forward too riding on?.

For me, the main one has to be the GC services starting up from Euston to Blackpool, my intention will be to go to London by LNWR from Nuneaton, pick up the GC service all the way to Blackpool and back, then another LNWR service back to Nuneaton. I am, by the way, aware that they will call at Nuneaton, but if you're going to do then do it properly <D.

Also, I might be in the minority here too, I am also looking forward to the new Class 196 DMU's for WMR.

I've really started getting a flair for bashing over the last year or so, with the GA Class 745's and 755's on my bucket list too.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
GC Blackpool services I’m very much looking forward too, I look forward to trying out the new FLIRT’s, the new “civity” units many TOC’s are now using, and also the new AWC trains and 390 refurbishment, this is, in my opinion, us moving from one generation of rail travel to the next, and I’m very much looking forward to it!
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
If you're talking future services, many of us just want a full timetable back ASAP!

Stock-wise, the Mk4s to Blackpool North, more new stock for Northern in 2022 and the 196s for WMR.
 

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2018
Messages
1,610
A few runs out on the Northern Pacers before they disappear again.

A TPE Nova Day or two on a Lancashire Day Ranger.

Something in Scotland.

A London day.

A West Midlands Day Ranger.
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,880
I'll just be picking off 68s on TPE services when I decide I want to travel again.

37521 will have to wait.

Then we'll see what next year's diesel galas have on offer.
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,762
Thanks for starting this kind of thread :). I'll start with, in order, the 3 I at least hope to do first...

1. To and from Didcot Parkway and Plymouth on a weekday which require a change of train at Reading. One area in Plymouth I'll be visiting I was last at when I was 12 years old on Wednesday 17th August 2005. Long story short in that I wont need to spend too much money with me

From my hometown of Abingdon, I'll get the X2 in the morning that leaves Abingdon around 6:40 and gets to Didcot Parkway station around 7:10.

From there, I'll get the first available IET (will have First Class tickets to and from Didcot and Plymouth) to Reading then the 08:29 from there - arrives at 11:08.

From Plymouth I'll be getting the 16:50 back to Reading then the 20:27 Bristol Temple Meads train back to Didcot from there. The 16:50 as it starts there so I can avoid the horrible scenario of having to "move" someone who's sat there or get the train manager, something I do not want in First Class! Also when / if catering is back to complete normal then I've a good chance of getting refreshments.

From Didcot, I'll be catching the X2 back home that leaves at around 21:35.

Between 11:08 and 16:50...

Will be heading down to Prince Rock then Mount Batten from there. From Mount Batten Batten I may head back into Plymouth City Centre for about an hour. I may do Plymouth first then Prince Rock then Mount Batten. I'm not sure about Plymstock.

Just incase I have to get the 16:15 because of either the 16:50 being cancelled or service disruption, I'll get back to Plymouth for about 4pm.

I understand the 16:15 is booked for 10 coaches (5 joining) so I won't book a seat on that incase coaches G-L change to A-E.

If the 16:50 is also 10 coaches then that's fine - at least it's more seats, albeit a tiny increase from a 9-car.

Plymouth I'm expecting to do in January in roughly 6 months time at the earliest.

As mentioned several times, Edinburgh for 5 nights is on my list too.

After, Edinburgh its Blackpool (probably a good few months after) for probably 4 nights - I may stay in York though as I might travel via London from Oxford to York. Frequent trains for a start.

If I decide on the direct XC services from Oxford to York then I'll aim for the 12:10 or 14:10 - in May 2018, I saw the 12:10 come into Birmingham New Street with barely anyone in Coach C. The 14:10 to Birmingham is always lightly loaded when I've caught it a few times since July 2016 (when 14:13) - of course with the Manchester train before it not being cancelled.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
Thanks for starting this kind of thread :). I'll start with, in order, the 3 I at least hope to do first...

1. To and from Didcot Parkway and Plymouth on a weekday which require a change of train at Reading. One area in Plymouth I'll be visiting I was last at when I was 12 years old on Wednesday 17th August 2005. Long story short in that I wont need to spend too much money with me

From my hometown of Abingdon, I'll get the X2 in the morning that leaves Abingdon around 6:40 and gets to Didcot Parkway station around 7:10.

From there, I'll get the first available IET (will have First Class tickets to and from Didcot and Plymouth) to Reading then the 08:29 from there - arrives at 11:08.

From Plymouth I'll be getting the 16:50 back to Reading then the 20:27 Bristol Temple Meads train back to Didcot from there. The 16:50 as it starts there so I can avoid the horrible scenario of having to "move" someone who's sat there or get the train manager, something I do not want in First Class! Also when / if catering is back to complete normal then I've a good chance of getting refreshments.

From Didcot, I'll be catching the X2 back home that leaves at around 21:35.

Between 11:08 and 16:50...

Will be heading down to Prince Rock then Mount Batten from there. From Mount Batten Batten I may head back into Plymouth City Centre for about an hour. I may do Plymouth first then Prince Rock then Mount Batten. I'm not sure about Plymstock.

Just incase I have to get the 16:15 because of either the 16:50 being cancelled or service disruption, I'll get back to Plymouth for about 4pm.

I understand the 16:15 is booked for 10 coaches (5 joining) so I won't book a seat on that incase coaches G-L change to A-E.

If the 16:50 is also 10 coaches then that's fine - at least it's more seats, albeit a tiny increase from a 9-car.

Plymouth I'm expecting to do in January in roughly 6 months time at the earliest.

As mentioned several times, Edinburgh for 5 nights is on my list too.

After, Edinburgh its Blackpool (probably a good few months after) for probably 4 nights - I may stay in York though as I might travel via London from Oxford to York. Frequent trains for a start.

If I decide on the direct XC services from Oxford to York then I'll aim for the 12:10 or 14:10 - in May 2018, I saw the 12:10 come into Birmingham New Street with barely anyone in Coach C. The 14:10 to Birmingham is always lightly loaded when I've caught it a few times since July 2016 (when 14:13) - of course with the Manchester train before it not being cancelled.

Don't hang around in Prince Rock - it's depressing! Plymstock is where I grew up. Do the old railway from just up by the large Morrisons, to Oreston and Turnchapel. Then take a bus back into the city centre (through Prince Rock - best way to see it is from the bus!)
 

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2017
Messages
1,762
Don't hang around in Prince Rock - it's depressing! Plymstock is where I grew up. Do the old railway from just up by the large Morrisons, to Oreston and Turnchapel. Then take a bus back into the city centre (through Prince Rock - best way to see it is from the bus!)

Honestly, don't worry :-L On Saturday 7th April 2 years ago, I went to Plymouth but Barne Barton - before then I was last there on Sunday 4th June 2006. Interesting memories from that area.

It would only be a quick stop at Prince Rock - the buses to Mount Batten are every 20 minutes during the daytime on weekdays. Also there's a small Premier newsagent at Prince Rock I've noticed on Google Maps just now - saves me the hassle of queuing up in a shop at Plymouth station when I can fill the 20-40 minute gap incase the bus is a bit late into Prince Rock.

Seat wise in First Class, I'll be booking seats via DM with GWR. On the 16:50, do I book seat K24 or L54? K24 as its a single window table seat on a 10-car IET but is a window table seat with a seat next to you and 2 opposite. L54 which on a 9 or 10-car IET is a window table seat with a single seat next to you, 2 opposite and nearest (but facing) the kitchen - handy on the catering side.

Also, coach K is a motored coach but coach L is a non-powered coach.

I know it's up to me but who would do what?
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
Honestly, don't worry :-L On Saturday 7th April 2 years ago, I went to Plymouth but Barne Barton - before then I was last there on Sunday 4th June 2006. Interesting memories from that area.

It would only be a quick stop at Prince Rock - the buses to Mount Batten are every 20 minutes during the daytime on weekdays. Also there's a small Premier newsagent at Prince Rock I've noticed on Google Maps just now - saves me the hassle of queuing up in a shop at Plymouth station when I can fill the 20-40 minute gap incase the bus is a bit late into Prince Rock.

Seat wise in First Class, I'll be booking seats via DM with GWR. On the 16:50, do I book seat K24 or L54? K24 as its a single window table seat on a 10-car IET but is a window table seat with a seat next to you and 2 opposite. L54 which on a 9 or 10-car IET is a window table seat with a single seat next to you, 2 opposite and nearest (but facing) the kitchen - handy on the catering side.

Also, coach K is a motored coach but coach L is a non-powered coach.

I know it's up to me but who would do what?

I just wouldn't hang around after dark whereas most of Plymstock is fine nowadays (there were rough parts in the 90s and 00s). I am sad that the HST is history unless you change in Bristol onto a short set.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
The Blackpool GC services, will do the full route.

Any new lines and new stock.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top