• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future train poll: Which train are you looking forward to travelling on?

Which one you most looking forward to travel on

  • Bombardier Aventra (Crossrail/Greater Anglia/London overground)

    Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Class 385

    Votes: 1 0.5%
  • CAF local haul coaches/sleepers

    Votes: 35 17.5%
  • CAF DMU/EMU

    Votes: 24 12.0%
  • Class 800

    Votes: 70 35.0%
  • Flirt Intercity/Regional

    Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Class 230

    Votes: 17 8.5%
  • None of above

    Votes: 6 3.0%

  • Total voters
    200
Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Is it true that the old mark X BR carriage designations are being continued and the Caley stock are officially mark 5 and the TPE mark 5a? Or is it just a spotter designation?

I'd wondered that too: the designation "Mark 5" has been used at various times (not necessarily officially) for IC250 trailers (never built) and for the Nightstar stock (built, never used here).

So the Sleeper/TPE stock could well be Mark 7! ;)

I voted for the CAF LHCS, but more for the TPE version as I'm reasonably likely to use it. Besides, it's LHCS, what's not to like? :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clc

Established Member
Joined
31 Oct 2011
Messages
1,326
I'm most looking forward to Scotrail's refurbished HSTs. I'd rather drive the A9 than do Glasgow-Inverness on a class 170.
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
I'm most looking forward to Scotrail's refurbished HSTs. I'd rather drive the A9 than do Glasgow-Inverness on a class 170.

Wow I wouldn't, I find the 170's OK, and the A9 highly tedious these days with all those average speed cameras.
 
Last edited:

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
I'd wondered that too
It seems to be all over both rail and general media since the announcement on 27 October 2016. TPE are calling their stock "Mark 5A". Maybe I'm a pedant, but didn't BR use a lower case letter for sub versions, e.g. mk 2a, 2d, etc?

Today, the first of 66 body shells for 13-five carriage Mark 5A Coaches will enter into production with the first one set to be delivered in 2018.
https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/news/2016/10/countdown-to-new-trains-for-the-north-begins/

CAF has started work on the first body shell for the 13 five-car Mark 5A coaches it is building for TransPennine Express
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2016/...cting-first-mark-5a-coach-body-shell-for-tpe/

The first new TransPennine Express (TPE) train has entered into production.

The intercity rail operator for the North and Scotland has started production on the first of 66 body shells for 13-five carriage Mark 5A Coaches. The first one should be finished in 2018.
http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2016-10-27/the-first-of-tpes-new-trains-enters-production/
 
Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,197
Also, how can you have "13 five-car Mark 5A coaches". It should read "Mk5A rakes" or "Mk5A trainsets".
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've not given an answer in the poll as I'm looking forward to trying all the new stuff. Yes, including the 230s. Yes, including the 800/801/802s! There is only one way to find out if something is any good, and that's to give it a go.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Wow I wouldn't, I find the 170's OK, and the A9 highly tedious these days with all those average speed cameras.

it must be so boring having the serious and fatal accident rate so effectively and comprehensively slashed. But the statistics of this (involving excess speed being reduced from >80% of traffic to <5%) are perhaps for a thread that isn't about future rolling stock
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
it must be so boring having the serious and fatal accident rate so effectively and comprehensively slashed. But the statistics of this (involving excess speed being reduced from >80% of traffic to <5%) are perhaps for a thread that isn't about future rolling stock

So why even mention it, I could launch into a massive rant about speed cameras, reducing speed limits and the A9 in particular but its not relevant to this thread.

I actually find the A9 a fairly tedious road with or without speed cameras especially when you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on the single carriageway, where as I actually find the 170's quite comfortable even though a lot on here don't think they are suitable for longer distance routes, and while the HST a good train I'm not sure replacing a 15 year old train with a 40 year old one is a great step forward and perhaps something new should have been ordered. But even this comment isn't really that relevant since we are talking about new trains here.

On the 800 I'm keen to see what the engine noise is like even though some on here have overly hyped that in my view given a lot journey will be mainly on electric power, the other thing to look at will be the seats without a windows which I must admit I'm not impressed with
 
Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,197
... and perhaps something new should have been ordered.

Electrification is planned I believe, not sure if any of the other franchise bidders proposed ordering bi-mode stock.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Taking the question literally, Class 800, so that's how I voted. I'm most looking forward to using the Class 345, but less for the units than for the route they will serve. All of them are exciting in their own way but I suspect I will only likely be able to use a small number of them in practice.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
A tough one for me. I'm looking forward to all the new stock up North, but given that I will be using them almost daily, its the CAF 331s that just get the vote.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
I've not given an answer in the poll as I'm looking forward to trying all the new stuff. Yes, including the 230s. Yes, including the 800/801/802s! There is only one way to find out if something is any good, and that's to give it a go.

Too true.
I never expected to become a fan of the 377, but I find that a table seat in a 2+2 section is a most pleasant traveling environment.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 195s might be nice, but still looking forward to the 68 loco hauled sets the most though.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Too true.
I never expected to become a fan of the 377, but I find that a table seat in a 2+2 section is a most pleasant traveling environment.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 195s might be nice, but still looking forward to the 68 loco hauled sets the most though.

Agreed on the 377 there, and I like the seats on 377/3s I have to admit.

I haven't researched who's ordered what to be honest, so I don't know who will get 195s, what exactly they are (number of carriages etc) but I can do that eventually.

Totally agreed on the new coaches for TPX to go with the 68s. That promises to be one of the best things to happen to the modern railway in the last couple of years, except for getting 68s in the first place. I still can't believe there's a new loco class in operation that sounds so beast...
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Aww, how sad. Only one member has voted for the 385s. What is there to hate on pure Japanese tech (J-tech)?! :cry:

(oh well, we all have our freedoms...)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,817
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Aww, how sad. Only one member has voted for the 385s. What is there to hate on pure Japanese tech (J-tech)?! :cry:

(oh well, we all have our freedoms...)

What is there to hate about 385s? Boring suburban EMUs with small windows, poor window alignment and nasty seats? They are a poor imitation of the Desiro City. I'm sure they will do the job well and last well, but they are the Class 150 of the modern EMU world - robust and reliable but boring, uncomfortable and badly designed for the passenger.

All of the others (other than the Aventra which is another boring suburban EMU) are more interesting in some way.
 
Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,197
Aww, how sad. Only one member has voted for the 385s. What is there to hate on pure Japanese tech (J-tech)?! :cry:

Are the Class 80x units not Japanese in origin..? Many more people will have a chance to experience those.
 
Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
What is there to hate about 385s? Boring suburban EMUs with small windows, poor window alignment and nasty seats? They are a poor imitation of the Desiro City. I'm sure they will do the job well and last well, but they are the Class 150 of the modern EMU world - robust and reliable but boring, uncomfortable and badly designed for the passenger.

All of the others (other than the Aventra which is another boring suburban EMU) are more interesting in some way.
Yeah, I see your point, but then there must be more Scotts on the web who would fully digest this full course meal well...
Are the Class 80x units not Japanese in origin..? Many more people will have a chance to experience those.
Ok, I see, but for trip reporting, unit bashing and what not, there must be some interest...

I'll admit, they're a bit of a bog standard EMU, but because they are made by Hitachi, I'm giving them a free pass!! :D
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
It has to be the loco-hauled (I'm not sure what is meant by "local haul" ;)) TPE stock, not least as I never expected to see a new build of hauled stock in the UK in the 21st century. There's only so much you can glean from computer-generated mock-ups, but they seem to promise a good mix of table and airline seats and efficient use of the internal space. It'll also be interesting to see if a new generation of hauled stock to modern specs will improve at all on any of the perceived shortcomings often levelled by the enthusiast fraternity at modern multiple unit designs.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Are the Class 80x units not Japanese in origin..? Many more people will have a chance to experience those.

The class 800 units are pretty much the same train as the class 395's, but with hybrid technology where it can be powered by either diesel or electric power and change between the power while on the move.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Also, how can you have "13 five-car Mark 5A coaches". It should read "Mk5A rakes" or "Mk5A trainsets".
Yes, there seem to have been some crossed wires in TPEs' recent press releases, the new loco-hauled stock having also been reported as "66 new trains" in another release when it should have more accurately stated carriages.
 

Prestige15

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2016
Messages
487
Location
Warrington
What is there to hate about 385s? Boring suburban EMUs with small windows, poor window alignment and nasty seats? They are a poor imitation of the Desiro City. I'm sure they will do the job well and last well, but they are the Class 150 of the modern EMU world - robust and reliable but boring, uncomfortable and badly designed for the passenger.

All of the others (other than the Aventra which is another boring suburban EMU) are more interesting in some way.

The 385 is rather a ugly looking train aswell, The 380 wont feel so lonely after all then.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I have to admit to not looking forward to the 380s when they were first due to enter service, as they weren't exactly lookers. However I fell in love with them upon my first try of them, the 2+2 seating (which I found surprisingly comfortable) and power sockets were a pleasant surprise and I have since looked past their less than glamourous front ends.

My point is the 385s may well be a nice surprise too. I'll happily give them a try when the time comes, they can't be as bad as 170s with that horrific droning, surely?
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
I have to admit to not looking forward to the 380s when they were first due to enter service, as they weren't exactly lookers. However I fell in love with them upon my first try of them, the 2+2 seating (which I found surprisingly comfortable) and power sockets were a pleasant surprise and I have since looked past their less than glamourous front ends.

My point is the 385s may well be a nice surprise too. I'll happily give them a try when the time comes, they can't be as bad as 170s with that horrific droning, surely?

The seating is pretty good and the front ends have kind of grown on me, but I wish they'd fit the bays with proper tables instead of the ridiculous half table they have now! :D

Their acceleration is amazing as well.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Good point on the acceleration, but I like the tables like they are as it's easier to get in and out of those seats
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top