My 16 year old son bought his 16-25 railcard online, which included uploading a photo of him from his phone.
Your issue is you don't had ID which can be validated against - which puts you in a very small group of people. That limits you in several ways, but it's your choice that's doing that, not a shortcoming of the system.
I would say that (underlined) is part right. It is not my choice not to have a driving licence. I know that I would be a bad driver and there are enough of them on the road already; any Examiner who passed me would either be incompetent or open to bribery. I have had lessons (a long, long time ago) and I knew I was no good at it, just as I was no good at learning to play the recorder; my reaction speed is not good enough.
Going abroad - too much faff. I stay in this country, I spend money in this country. There is too much I have never seen here.
That is my choice. My choice means that I am more likely to use the rail network. I am not alone, many of my neighbours are old people like me, quite a few don't drive (a few more shouldn't really), aren't we the people who it would be good to get back on the trains? Get us out and about - out of our homes, into the countryside/ seaside, mixing with others. If you like, improving our mental health, and physical health - even seaside stations are usually a walk to the beach.
'The system' has decided to accept just two forms of ID for on-line applications. Apparently only 'a very small group of people' don't have a passport or driving licence. According to a digital data company 8 million people in England and Wales don't have a passport quoted in
https://www.yorkshiretimes.co.uk/ar...e-Dont-Have-A-Passport-In-This-Area-Of-The-UK, with Wales, the North East and the Midlands being areas where higher percentages (between 15% and 20%) don't. Some will undoubtedly have driving licences but not all by any means. The New Statesman (
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/more-three-million-uk-voters-have-no-form-photo-id) states that in 2021 over 3 million neither had a passport or driving licence, so not that small. I have photo-ID that allows me to vote, it has a number on it which, I guess, is unique. I have had a railcard, for several years, every year I show the same evidence that I am me. No loyalty pay-off here. Instead I will have to find a Travel Centre (ie a Ticket Office with a new sign above it - ironically, I will travel to whichever by bus) in my locality; fortunately two - and usually helpful ones. For others it will be much harder and 'persuade' them not to use the railway. By and large we travel 'off-peak', quite often 'against the tide', occupying seats that would otherwise be empty (I can't remember the last time I had to stand). It is also an encouragement to use the railway at other times, seeing the railway as a 'natural' form of transport; because I am used to it, I sometimes catch very early and earlyish trains (before 06:30 and I am avoiding London). I would have thought TOCs would want to encourage rail travel?
No - because that group of people are not prevented from having suitable photo ID, they've just chosen not to. Somebody not choosing to have something doesn't equal discrimination. If it was only driving licence, for example, then those with health conditions which preclude holding a driving licence would be able to claim discrimination, but it isn't.
Interestingly you need to provide the same ID when applying for an ENCTS bus pass.
Not true - in Kent, at least.
https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-t...asses/bus-passes-for-older-or-disabled-people
Document 1 - courtesy of a photo booth.
Document 2 - I went for overkill - I was paying the Council Tax and I had a bank statement. And I insist on paper versions.
Document 3 - I still have my birth certificate and the DWP is in regular correspondence!
A week later, an Old Man's Bus Pass.