Wyrleybart
Established Member
I was a teenager in the 1970s and remember the oil firing conversions on the FR. I believe they had a lorry which went around various locations mostly in England, collecting waste oil to ship to Boston Lodge presumably for mixing / filtering. Back then the Festiniog absolutely had to go down the oil firing route to be allowed to survive, due to running through such flammable territory on their way to Dduallt. For me though oil firing took away much of the character of the railway. Gone was the sulphur smell of coal burning steam locos, as well as the roar from the firebox bedplate replacing the traditional hisses of Steam locos.The odd thing about the Festiniog is, I understand, that when they went from oil back to coal around 2006 after 30+ years all of the oil-burning equipment (tanks, valves, burners, pan plates, etc.) removed from the locos was not retained for future use. If they go down this road they will, I believe, be starting again from scscratch.