None of the above?
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't know what form it should take, but things do need to change and I am very much against trying to re-create the past; the world has moved on. There undoubtedly is no perfect solution anyway.Totally sympathise with this. However it is perhaps reasonable to at least attempt to provide an alternative not suggested in the poll. Re-nationalisation is currently very popular but having lived through the BR era in its many guises I cannot support the two BR options offered. On the other hand a single national organisation with some things "devolved" to local level (like station facility management) and others very much centralised (like timetabling of long-distance services to act as a skeleton for everything else) could have some merit as opposed to all-powerful Regions or Sectors who have little concern for anything not in their "empire". A difficult balancing act but worth considering.
I'm going to be honest and say that I don't know what form it should take, but things do need to change and I am very much against trying to re-create the past; the world has moved on. There undoubtedly is no perfect solution anyway.
So what I would like is some measure of local control where appropriate; some level of competition on InterCity services; and central control over key commuter services, rather like TfL exercise in London.
I want a system where our intercity routes are solely open-access (no franchises) so that we can have some exciting airline style competition on them.
Great. Where do you get the paths from? Genuine competition requres a reasonable frequency on both services. Otherwise most people will just choose the operator that departs/arrives at the time that they want, not because "Ooooooo! Great Anglia South Bank Rail is better than North London Suffolk Trains!" (for example).I want a system where our intercity routes are solely open-access (no franchises) so that we can have some exciting airline style competition on them.
is your pet cat called Beeching or Grayling ?A mix of the first two but with better centralized control and zero interference from government who know no more about running a railway than my pet cat.
Delay compensation to be scrapped
I want a system where our intercity routes are solely open-access (no franchises) so that we can have some exciting airline style competition on them.
You have to remember that the market is an all-seeing benevolent deity. We should all prostrate ourselves before it multiple times a day.Can you provide a single example of anywhere where this works, or is neoliberal ideology more important than a functioning transport system ?
You have to remember that the market is an all-seeing benevolent deity. We should all prostrate ourselves before it multiple times a day.