• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Avanti Diversions With 805s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
Currently, Avanti operate a number of diversionary routes, with their midlands diversions being the ones that I’m most familiar with, having travelled on a rammed 1tph 5 car voyager via coleshill a few times, and was wondering, what will happen to Avanti diversions after the 805s are introduced (Avanti are of course also getting 807s but as they are electric only there’s no advantage to them over a 390), considering that they will have less diesel units than before?

I was specifically wondering this since Wolverhampton staff wouldn’t strictly have to sign the various routes, such as Cross City North and Coleshill to get to Central Rivers, as they won’t be operating units based there.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or insight as to the nature of route knowledge, and how unit utilisation would be done?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
Currently, Avanti operate a number of diversionary routes, with their midlands diversions being the ones that I’m most familiar with, having travelled on a rammed 1tph 5 car voyager via coleshill a few times, and was wondering, what will happen to Avanti diversions after the 805s are introduced (Avanti are of course also getting 807s but as they are electric only there’s no advantage to them over a 390), considering that they will have less diesel units than before?

I was specifically wondering this since Wolverhampton staff wouldn’t strictly have to sign the various routes, such as Cross City North and Coleshill to get to Central Rivers, as they won’t be operating units based there.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or insight as to the nature of route knowledge, and how unit utilisation would be done?
Just because the Avanti staff will not be operating units based at Central Rivers, does not mean that staff will no longer be signing the route via Coleshill.

Yes, Avanti will have less units that have diesel power with using the class 805 units, but I don't believe that all Avanti class spare 221 units where being used on diversion, even with those that where being used on North Wales - London paths. However, I suspect if required that the class 807 units can be loco hauled by either class 68 or class 57. I was going to add class 99, but I am not sure that it would be used in any form to be hauling passenger trains.

You also have to remember going forward, it is likely that the diversionary route via Coleshill possibly may not be required anymore, once HS2 is completed.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,741
Just because the Avanti staff will not be operating units based at Central Rivers, does not mean that staff will no longer be signing the route via Coleshill.

Yes, Avanti will have less units that have diesel power with using the class 805 units, but I don't believe that all Avanti class spare 221 units where being used on diversion, even with those that where being used on North Wales - London paths. However, I suspect if required that the class 807 units can be loco hauled by either class 68 or class 57. I was going to add class 99, but I am not sure that it would be used in any form to be hauling passenger trains.

You also have to remember going forward, it is likely that the diversionary route via Coleshill possibly may not be required anymore, once HS2 is completed.
It would be as there will be plenty of occassions where the Cov corridor is closed. Rumour is that once 800s are in, Coleshill diversions are very unlikely.
 

RobShipway

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2009
Messages
3,337
It would be as there will be plenty of occassions where the Cov corridor is closed. Rumour is that once 800s are in, Coleshill diversions are very unlikely.
I am surprised if the Coleshill diversions are unlikely, prior to HS2 being completed. As a an old saying goes, always leave a back door open for you to leave until another door becomes open.

Although, if you cannot use the Coventry/Birmingham route, you have got the Trent Valley route.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,741
I am surprised if the Coleshill diversions are unlikely, prior to HS2 being completed. As a an old saying goes, always leave a back door open for you to leave until another door becomes open.

Although, if you cannot use the Coventry/Birmingham route, you have got the Trent Valley route.
Which is what will likely happen, Stafford and reverse. As you noted, there aren't as many 805s as 221s, so unless you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, I stand by the fact they won't use Coleshill.
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
Which is what will likely happen, Stafford and reverse. As you noted, there aren't as many 805s as 221s, so unless you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, I stand by the fact they won't use Coleshill.
That was what I was thinking. I do wonder how much time needs to have elapsed before route knowledge is considered to have lapsed. A diversion via Stafford seems rather cumbersome, easily taking over an hour, though Coleshill diversions aren't much faster. I guess there's an argument somewhere here for wiring of the Coleshill route considering its importance as a corridor for both freight and passenger services, regularly seeing around 10 trains per hour.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top