theblackwatch
Established Member
- Joined
- 15 Feb 2006
- Messages
- 10,889
91131 has already been designated for the National Collection, as has a DVT (82200 from memory).
If a unit is to be kept running, say a 442, preserve one complete unit, there is no need for 2, it will be pulling a limited number of interested enthusiasts, not commuters into London. I would preserve one whole complete unit (using the best bits from the entire class), then preserve one driving car and one motor coach for the museum and as many spares as they can get there hands on.
They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.
I'd really really like to see a 158/159 preserved. While the Sprinters on the whole are terrible trains, the 158s and 159s are in a league of their own. I'd really like a preserved 321 further down the line as well... *prepares for storms of disagreement*
The most likely candidates would either be 156401 or 156514, the 1st and last of the class respectively.There's got to be a 156 as well in that case. They're as good as the 158's.
The most likely candidates would either be 156401 or 156514, the 1st and last of the class respectively.
Some sort of miracle, I assume!I can't help but wonder how we only get by with 114 of them!
I wouldn't be surprised if a dedicated enough heritage group would be able find electricians and engineers willing to spend their twilight years effectively building a new traction package for a 442.They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.
They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.
Hopefully this won't drift off topic to much, but why can't the traction motors be rebuilt or overhauled by the likes of Bowers?
Some of the 73/1s and the 442s do share the same traction motors (EE 546), while some 73/1s have the EE 541B traction motors.Aren't they the same 400hp EE DC motors that were used on the Electro-Diesels? Would there be any spares salvaged from the rebuilds of 73s for the Scottish sleepers?
I'm sure I remember being told that not all of the 442's motors were recovered from the REP's of yore, therefore those that weren't would presumably have around twenty years more life in them.
There's got to be a 156 as well in that case. They're as good as the 158's.
As 156 and 158 are fully compatible, a hybrid, one coach of each is a likely option.