• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future locomotives / multiple units for the national collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
91131 has already been designated for the National Collection, as has a DVT (82200 from memory).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Some good suggestions, I think 59001 will forever be a 'Merehead' loco, owned and preserved there, I suggest 59005 for the NRM, does it not hold some European haulage record?

I agree about an 86 being preserved at the NRM, ideally 2, one sectioned and one working.

I can't help but think that while worthy of a place, having a 58,59 & 60 is a bit overkill, especially as they never wanted a 56.

I would like to see a 57/0..... sectioned, it would show the inner workings of a diesel, the continued story of the 47, and demonstrate re-engineering which is starting to take off in this country.
......... if at the same time it could be coupled to a freightliner flat with a 20ft & 40ft container on, theres another story of freight by rail.

As for EMUs/DMUs, unless there is a clear want/plan to keep them running then only 1-2 vehicles from each unit need saving, the 150, just keep one driving trailer, a pacer, one driving trailer.... to keep the rest of the unit is duplication and taking up space, the 390.... a driving car and a pantograph coach, the 220, just a driving coach.

If a unit is to be kept running, say a 442, preserve one complete unit, there is no need for 2, it will be pulling a limited number of interested enthusiasts, not commuters into London. I would preserve one whole complete unit (using the best bits from the entire class), then preserve one driving car and one motor coach for the museum and as many spares as they can get there hands on.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
If a unit is to be kept running, say a 442, preserve one complete unit, there is no need for 2, it will be pulling a limited number of interested enthusiasts, not commuters into London. I would preserve one whole complete unit (using the best bits from the entire class), then preserve one driving car and one motor coach for the museum and as many spares as they can get there hands on.

They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.

I'm sure I remember being told that not all of the 442's motors were recovered from the REP's of yore, therefore those that weren't would presumably have around twenty years more life in them.
 

59CosG95

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2013
Messages
6,865
Location
Beeston (Notts)
I'd really really like to see a 158/159 preserved. While the Sprinters on the whole are terrible trains, the 158s and 159s are in a league of their own. I'd really like a preserved 321 further down the line as well... *prepares for storms of disagreement*
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
I'd really really like to see a 158/159 preserved. While the Sprinters on the whole are terrible trains, the 158s and 159s are in a league of their own. I'd really like a preserved 321 further down the line as well... *prepares for storms of disagreement*

There's got to be a 156 as well in that case. They're as good as the 158's.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
I can't help but wonder how we only get by with 114 of them!
Some sort of miracle, I assume! :lol:

Seriously though, they are rugged, dependable machines that can handle just about anything that's asked of them.
 
Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.
I wouldn't be surprised if a dedicated enough heritage group would be able find electricians and engineers willing to spend their twilight years effectively building a new traction package for a 442.

Where's there's a will, there's a way! :D
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
They won't be able to keep one running as the traction motors are life expired and new traction motors would very likely mean an entire new traction package, and would possibly mean a major re-wire.

Hopefully this won't drift off topic to much, but why can't the traction motors be rebuilt or overhauled by the likes of Bowers?
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Hopefully this won't drift off topic to much, but why can't the traction motors be rebuilt or overhauled by the likes of Bowers?

Aren't they the same 400hp EE DC motors that were used on the Electro-Diesels? Would there be any spares salvaged from the rebuilds of 73s for the Scottish sleepers?
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
Aren't they the same 400hp EE DC motors that were used on the Electro-Diesels? Would there be any spares salvaged from the rebuilds of 73s for the Scottish sleepers?
Some of the 73/1s and the 442s do share the same traction motors (EE 546), while some 73/1s have the EE 541B traction motors.
 

bigdelboy

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
198
I'm sure I remember being told that not all of the 442's motors were recovered from the REP's of yore, therefore those that weren't would presumably have around twenty years more life in them.

I understood, possibly incorrectly, one of the problems found when REP's to 442's was that the motors were in poor condition and this delayed the whole programme result resulting the various hybrids while all were sorted.

I would actually think a REP deserves the place over a 442 because of the successful push-pull system worked to weymouth. I'm actually not to impressed with the 109 top speed by 5wes on third rail .... my understanding is REP's exceeded this on test runs .... and 4REP+4TC formations might even have come close to it on occasions in service.

( I think the 4-rep preservation society still has there eyes on the two reamin 4-rep motor coaches in departmental service)
 
Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
When they are eventually retired, could the MKIV coaches (and maybe DVTs) be used for coaching stock (as Mk1s/2s are at the moment) on preserved lines or would re-wiring them be prohibitively expensive?
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,718
Location
Nottingham
Probably could be in principle but modern stock is more complicated with more to go wrong. The GCR(N) at Ruddington used a rake of GatEx Mk2 aircons for a while (and may still) but when I rode on them they smelt distinctly musty, probably because they didn't have any way of running the aircon and without it there isn't much ventilation.
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
As 156 and 158 are fully compatible, a hybrid, one coach of each is a likely option.

They ran that way for a while after the 158s had a brake issue following their introduction. I imagine that sprinters will be in demand from Heritage Lines at the end of their lives anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top