gchan2845
New Member
Hello,
I seem to be in a bit of a strange situation so posting here in the hope that someone can offer me some guidance.
On 4th feb 2025 out of the blue I received a further steps notice in the post which mentioned a fine of £540 but didn't actually say what it was for. When I emailed the address on the notice, I was told it pertains to a ruling at Reading magistrates court which was held on 14th nov 2024 which in turn was for an offence committed on 11 Apr 2024. The offence was for someone attempting to travel on a train at ipswich station without a valid ticket. But the catch is that I have never actually been to Ipswich or Ipswich station, and I dont think I've ever actually been on a greater anglia train!
In addition, I was told the address that was given at the time of the offence- and it isn't mine, and not connected to me in any way. This possibly explains why I had no notice of proceedings before I received the further steps notice.
I managed to get in touch with a lawyer who suggests going the statutory declaration route which makes sense to me, but I still find it puzzling how I could have gotten mixed up in this. Could it be identity fraud? Or an adminstrative error? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Thanks a lot for any help/advice/guidance.
I seem to be in a bit of a strange situation so posting here in the hope that someone can offer me some guidance.
On 4th feb 2025 out of the blue I received a further steps notice in the post which mentioned a fine of £540 but didn't actually say what it was for. When I emailed the address on the notice, I was told it pertains to a ruling at Reading magistrates court which was held on 14th nov 2024 which in turn was for an offence committed on 11 Apr 2024. The offence was for someone attempting to travel on a train at ipswich station without a valid ticket. But the catch is that I have never actually been to Ipswich or Ipswich station, and I dont think I've ever actually been on a greater anglia train!
In addition, I was told the address that was given at the time of the offence- and it isn't mine, and not connected to me in any way. This possibly explains why I had no notice of proceedings before I received the further steps notice.
I managed to get in touch with a lawyer who suggests going the statutory declaration route which makes sense to me, but I still find it puzzling how I could have gotten mixed up in this. Could it be identity fraud? Or an adminstrative error? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Thanks a lot for any help/advice/guidance.